Cosmic Break
Welcome! to the Unofficial Fan Forums Please read the rules as soon as you can. It will only take a few minutes of your time to do so. If you are not willing to read them, you might not be here for long! Enjoy your stay and don't get into trouble.

Click here for Forum Rules

Click here for Cosmic Break Guides

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Game-play: Redefine "skill" for Cosmic Break

Go down 
+31
Astral_Dono
That_Wiesel_Guy
Nymph~
-Aera-
LS3
mechaRev
Charz
boytitan2
Me99909
Kirika
bippusuta
dsp
Trill
necrodrakath
God is a Cat Girl
reVelske
CapeMike
DarkChuky
dragongx92
Advisor
Klinkin
Prior
Hyoka
Midona
Zwiebel Force
FireKiller87
Suki_Eve
Suguri
Malphes
Mew
SeedZero
35 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Hyoka
Gaming Molcars
Gaming Molcars

Game-play: Redefine "skill" for Cosmic Break - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game-play: Redefine "skill" for Cosmic Break   Game-play: Redefine "skill" for Cosmic Break - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 4:23 am

SeedZero wrote:
Hyoka wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
>talking about meta alone
>assume I'm writing about the entire game

I think you better stare at Malphes' avatar long and hard because I want to do much worse things to you right now.

The only thing you can do right now is build because thewholething is becoming locked bot oriented (not that it already hasn't been for howfuckinglonghasitbeen) and the rest about the game in the arena aspect is common sense

(Actually I could say the same for the other game modes but the very first 3 star C.S-chan bossfight was fucking gay)

And even then new shit makes your builds obsolete or require huge modification e.g amot vainic screwing over anyone who relied on a one hit attack to do large damage (not everyone could run around with amot though so it wasn't as bad)
Back to top Go down
Suki_Eve
Ace Poster
Ace Poster
Suki_Eve

Female Posts : 1493

PostSubject: Re: Game-play: Redefine "skill" for Cosmic Break   Game-play: Redefine "skill" for Cosmic Break - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 4:39 am

SeedZero wrote:
It may be unfair, but in the end what matters to most is winning and it is human nature to do whatever it takes to win, unfair or not.

Take pride on your team winning instead of whether you are on top of the leader-board.

Winning? Who the fuck needs winning?
I play this game to have fun.
Not to win.
To have fun.
Fuck your winning, I don't need it, I don't feel anything from winning. I feel things from enjoying myself in a match, and not having to deal with lag and faggotry of other players. Winning is meh to me, and it barely registers as a surprise if my team wins or loses considering there are only TWO OPTIONS TO A MATCH and absolutely NO TEAM BATTLE TACTICS within matches.

Also, I like how you completely missed the sarcasm of Sugu's post.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Game-play: Redefine "skill" for Cosmic Break   Game-play: Redefine "skill" for Cosmic Break - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 4:43 am

Having fun is a legit skill in CosmicBreak. True Story Bro.
Back to top Go down
Suguri
God Poster
God Poster
Suguri

Female Posts : 7765

PostSubject: Re: Game-play: Redefine "skill" for Cosmic Break   Game-play: Redefine "skill" for Cosmic Break - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 4:44 am

Suki_Eve wrote:
Also, I like how you completely missed the sarcasm of Sugu's post.
I have no idea what you're talking about. のヮの
Back to top Go down
SeedZero
SeedZero

Male Posts : 64

PostSubject: Re: Game-play: Redefine "skill" for Cosmic Break   Game-play: Redefine "skill" for Cosmic Break - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 5:48 am

reVelske wrote:
It's about creating a fun and enjoyable environment for EVERYONE, where people can have fun TOGETHER.

But that, that simple concept, is too god damn fucking difficult for some selfish dimwits out there.

I can agree on that. As for your other comments, to be honest I don't like attention, if you noticed I don't post that much, though I been around since the beta days. The only reason I raised this topic is because I thought it was interesting and I wanted to hear other people's opinion.

Hyoka wrote:

I think you better stare at Malphes' avatar long and hard because I want to do much worse things to you right now.

The only thing you can do right now is build because thewholething is becoming locked bot oriented (not that it already hasn't been for howfuckinglonghasitbeen) and the rest about the game in the arena aspect is common sense

(Actually I could say the same for the other game modes but the very first 3 star C.S-chan bossfight was fucking gay)

And even then new shit makes your builds obsolete or require huge modification e.g amot vainic screwing over anyone who relied on a one hit attack to do large damage (not everyone could run around with amot though so it wasn't as bad)

Yes most of what I said is common sense. I'm just saying what I already know so that everyone can bring up things that I don't know, like how Suguri brought up "skill vs meta", which turns out to be "physical skill and mental skill". Believe it or not, I really enjoy this game and think it is fun, but what I want to know is what makes this game fun and also why people don't think it is fun.

If I offended you in anyway then I apologize. I just believe there more to the game that people don't realize.

One of the things I started recently doing was watch chess lectures and I learned a lot aspects of chess that I didn't know before. So I started thinking about what are some aspects from Cosmic Break that I might be missing? When I look at Union Wars now, I see a chess board, you have pawns who are average robots and you have rooks/knights/bishops/queens who are like the OP bots. Believe or not, pawns play a vital role in chess, by using various formations with just the pawns they can control vital territory and be a big support to stronger pieces. The biggest difference between Cosmic Break and chess is that there is no king, each player on Cosmic Break is in position of a piece. Problem is that nobody likes to play the pawn, they want to be as powerful as the queen (lol queens, get it? Moebots XD).

Playing chess with just queens, is kind of boring, there's very little depth in that. Playing a game with just pawns is like playing a game of checkers, not enough complexity. When I look at Cosmic Break I see lots of diversity, various types of bots at different power levels. It may seem unbalanced to everybody when comparing one piece to another, but when you look at the whole chess board it looks balanced to me.

There is also the social aspect of the game that I think is interesting. How often do you see people throws strikes and protest about every single update of a game? It is fun for me waiting to see what Cyber Step decide to do to resolve the situation. Everything about this game is very extreme, although many people don't like it, I think it is what keeps Cosmic Break alive and different than other games.

So in conclusion, why am doing all of this? Playing Cosmic Break and starting this topic? It's fun =p
Back to top Go down
dsp
Adept Poster
Adept Poster
dsp

PostSubject: Re: Game-play: Redefine "skill" for Cosmic Break   Game-play: Redefine "skill" for Cosmic Break - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 7:59 am

>Skill
>CB

Game-play: Redefine "skill" for Cosmic Break - Page 3 FUiPn
Back to top Go down
bippusuta
Regular Poster
Regular Poster
bippusuta

Male Posts : 163

PostSubject: Re: Game-play: Redefine "skill" for Cosmic Break   Game-play: Redefine "skill" for Cosmic Break - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 9:03 am

dragongx92 wrote:
Shooting range anyone??

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
God is a Cat Girl
Guinea Pig Wearing Sweater
Guinea Pig Wearing Sweater

PostSubject: Re: Game-play: Redefine "skill" for Cosmic Break   Game-play: Redefine "skill" for Cosmic Break - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 11:51 am

Malphes wrote:
that isn't going to help you aim at all
I never said that it would anyway.
Back to top Go down
FireKiller87
Ace Poster
Ace Poster
FireKiller87

Male Posts : 1708

PostSubject: Re: Game-play: Redefine "skill" for Cosmic Break   Game-play: Redefine "skill" for Cosmic Break - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 3:24 pm

SeedZero wrote:
reVelske wrote:
It's about creating a fun and enjoyable environment for EVERYONE, where people can have fun TOGETHER.

But that, that simple concept, is too god damn fucking difficult for some selfish dimwits out there.

I can agree on that. As for your other comments, to be honest I don't like attention, if you noticed I don't post that much, though I been around since the beta days. The only reason I raised this topic is because I thought it was interesting and I wanted to hear other people's opinion.

Hyoka wrote:

Yes most of what I said is common sense. I'm just saying what I already know so that everyone can bring up things that I don't know, like how Suguri brought up "skill vs meta", which turns out to be "physical skill and mental skill". Believe it or not, I really enjoy this game and think it is fun, but what I want to know is what makes this game fun and also why people don't think it is fun.

If I offended you in anyway then I apologize. I just believe there more to the game that people don't realize.

One of the things I started recently doing was watch chess lectures and I learned a lot aspects of chess that I didn't know before. So I started thinking about what are some aspects from Cosmic Break that I might be missing? When I look at Union Wars now, I see a chess board, you have pawns who are average robots and you have rooks/knights/bishops/queens who are like the OP bots. Believe or not, pawns play a vital role in chess, by using various formations with just the pawns they can control vital territory and be a big support to stronger pieces. The biggest difference between Cosmic Break and chess is that there is no king, each player on Cosmic Break is in position of a piece. Problem is that nobody likes to play the pawn, they want to be as powerful as the queen (lol queens, get it? Moebots XD).

Playing chess with just queens, is kind of boring, there's very little depth in that. Playing a game with just pawns is like playing a game of checkers, not enough complexity. When I look at Cosmic Break I see lots of diversity, various types of bots at different power levels. It may seem unbalanced to everybody when comparing one piece to another, but when you look at the whole chess board it looks balanced to me.

There is also the social aspect of the game that I think is interesting. How often do you see people throws strikes and protest about every single update of a game? It is fun for me waiting to see what Cyber Step decide to do to resolve the situation. Everything about this game is very extreme, although many people don't like it, I think it is what keeps Cosmic Break alive and different than other games.

So in conclusion, why am doing all of this? Playing Cosmic Break and starting this topic? It's fun =p

The problem with your chess analogy is that average-tier bots can't and do not control any type of territory in CB. They. Get. RAPED. Right now they are nothing more than free food. They are essentially irrelevent.
Plus, in chess, even a little pawn, played correctly and maneuvered skillfully, can kill even a queen. In contrast, it is extremely difficult for, say, a Sword Wing, to bring down, say, even a normal Seraph Crimrose, to say nothing of the HD version, assuming equal player experience with each respective bot as well as equal attack, HP, and weapon power.
Also, there is ZERO team component. In chess, you control every piece and have them work as a single unit in order to get checkmate, or protect a vital position. In CB, there is no such thing. If ten bots converge on a position, it is because each player is drawn by his/her own battle instinct. An ally can just as easily save your ass from certain death as he/she can leave you for dead.

Therefore, the concept of CB being analogous to any type of strategy game, and the thought of CB having any sort of strategy or skill requirement at all, is completely ludicrous. If extreme changes were made to the game and accurate balancing was done, we might begin to consider the possibility, but as of now it is stupid to think of it.
Back to top Go down
Trill
Grand Poster
Grand Poster
Trill

Male Posts : 3071

PostSubject: Re: Game-play: Redefine "skill" for Cosmic Break   Game-play: Redefine "skill" for Cosmic Break - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 4:31 pm

I am lost as to how a pawn could kill a queen in any form of chess unless the opponent was mentally handicapped, or the queen was trapped and the pawn was the peice that ended up killing her. In that case then CB couod relate in the fact that even a Pawnger (this joke is funny) can get the last hit on a queen such as Resha or Eris. I'm not really that hot at chess myself, but I'm pretty sure the Queen outclasses the pawn in every form of the word (higher movement options/ranges and a lot higher unit worth).

Another flaw I'd like to point out in this chess analogy: Everyone is the queen now, and like you said, a game with all queens loses it's entertainment. Everyone could run 3x HD Seraph commandos. And the thought of a player's fighting worth being that of a pawn is sickening. A pawn will never score high. A pawn will just be a meatsheild. Does that sound like a fun game? Where literally your wallet determines your role. A pawn or a queen. Scoring high or feeding hard, which would you rather do?

And please, don't dare respond saying you'd rather be a pawn and do your team credit through your minimal costing death's even though you place last. I've yet to see a person who'd rather lose over winning. (That's why people loving spamming their OP bots: winning is fufulling.)

Edit: I'd just like to mention what my definition of fun is. Fun is where there's a level playing feild, and skill determines who places where. Painfully unrealistic? Definately. My main quirk with "overpowered bots" is simply they allow a player to score higher even with a lower skill level. It'd be like having a race on foot, but paying a couple hundred dollars means you get a car. Could the people on foot still win? Sure. But will they enjoy it as much if it were a fair race? Not at all. It gets more insulting when those in cars are painfully slow runners, yet are able to say they beat you in a foot race when you know it'd be no competition if they ever raced on foot aswell. All in all, money equalling power spells for less overall happiness and ruins any form of real competition.

Back to top Go down
Suguri
God Poster
God Poster
Suguri

Female Posts : 7765

PostSubject: Re: Game-play: Redefine "skill" for Cosmic Break   Game-play: Redefine "skill" for Cosmic Break - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 4:59 pm

Trill wrote:
My main quirk with "overpowered bots" is simply they allow a player to score higher even with a lower skill level. It'd be like having a race on foot, but paying a couple hundred dollars means you get a car. Could the people on foot still win? Sure. But will they enjoy it as much if it were a fair race? Not at all. It gets more insulting when those in cars are painfully slow runners, yet are able to say they beat you in a foot race when you know it'd be no competition if they ever raced on foot aswell. All in all, money equalling power spells for less overall happiness and ruins any form of real competition.

Summary of CB.

Trill wrote:
I'd just like to mention what my definition of fun is. Fun is where there's a level playing feild, and skill determines who places where. Painfully unrealistic? Definately.

Unless you mean in CB specifically this isn't exactly a hard thing to do v: Even then I-

well, I don't want to start another three-day debate over "when was CB balanced if ever" so never mind
Back to top Go down
CapeMike
Master Poster
Master Poster
CapeMike

Male Posts : 2079

PostSubject: Re: Game-play: Redefine "skill" for Cosmic Break   Game-play: Redefine "skill" for Cosmic Break - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 5:23 pm

Somewhat torn on this, myself....

Sure I'd like to be able to do better, but with no reliable source of funds on the immediate horizon(stupid lack of employment), I'm rather limited in what I can do, except with what I have...; but I'd love to see what it's like to have some of these full garages, too!

...guess I just need to keep being happy I Support as well as I do.... <_<

Back to top Go down
SeedZero
SeedZero

PostSubject: Re: Game-play: Redefine "skill" for Cosmic Break   Game-play: Redefine "skill" for Cosmic Break - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 7:06 pm

FireKiller87 wrote:

The problem with your chess analogy is that average-tier bots can't and do not control any type of territory in CB. They. Get. RAPED. Right now they are nothing more than free food. They are essentially irrelevent.
Plus, in chess, even a little pawn, played correctly and maneuvered skillfully, can kill even a queen. In contrast, it is extremely difficult for, say, a Sword Wing, to bring down, say, even a normal Seraph Crimrose, to say nothing of the HD version, assuming equal player experience with each respective bot as well as equal attack, HP, and weapon power.
Also, there is ZERO team component. In chess, you control every piece and have them work as a single unit in order to get checkmate, or protect a vital position. In CB, there is no such thing. If ten bots converge on a position, it is because each player is drawn by his/her own battle instinct. An ally can just as easily save your ass from certain death as he/she can leave you for dead.

Therefore, the concept of CB being analogous to any type of strategy game, and the thought of CB having any sort of strategy or skill requirement at all, is completely ludicrous. If extreme changes were made to the game and accurate balancing was done, we might begin to consider the possibility, but as of now it is stupid to think of it.

Trill wrote:
I am lost as to how a pawn could kill a queen in any form of chess unless the opponent was mentally handicapped, or the queen was trapped and the pawn was the peice that ended up killing her. In that case then CB couod relate in the fact that even a Pawnger (this joke is funny) can get the last hit on a queen such as Resha or Eris. I'm not really that hot at chess myself, but I'm pretty sure the Queen outclasses the pawn in every form of the word (higher movement options/ranges and a lot higher unit worth).

Another flaw I'd like to point out in this chess analogy: Everyone is the queen now, and like you said, a game with all queens loses it's entertainment. Everyone could run 3x HD Seraph commandos. And the thought of a player's fighting worth being that of a pawn is sickening. A pawn will never score high. A pawn will just be a meatsheild. Does that sound like a fun game? Where literally your wallet determines your role. A pawn or a queen. Scoring high or feeding hard, which would you rather do?

And please, don't dare respond saying you'd rather be a pawn and do your team credit through your minimal costing death's even though you place last. I've yet to see a person who'd rather lose over winning. (That's why people loving spamming their OP bots: winning is fufulling.)

Both of you are correct in many points, but now try connecting your points together then you will start noticing more depth in the game.

"Everyone is a queen" is not completely true, it would mean everyone would have the same commando, like your example of 3x HD Seraph. Even though we could, we haven't exactly had a Seraph only union war yet have we? In a mental skill based game, like chess, this would be dull, but in this scenario this is where physical skill kicks in since it will determine which team wins, like in any other FPS game.

Now lets examine the meaning of a pawn. If you look the weakest bot in the game, it would be a sword wing, pawnger , etc... but if you combine it with the point that everyone doesn't want to be a pawn, what can you conclude from that? If union wars is a chess board, then the weakest unit on the field would be consider a pawn. In a game where each team had one Seraph and one Melfi (I'm sorry Melfi players), Melfi would be consider as a pawn while Seraph would be considered a queen.

Roles are determined more on the field/chessboard (union wars) than outside of it and it is determined by relative strength or ability. Nobody likes the role of a pawn, so they use the best units they like, but it doesn't mean they escaped the role of a pawn (the weakest on the field), but that is why chess is more than pawns and queens, there's rooks, bishops, and knights as well, which all have different range of abilities. Isolated pawns in a game of chess is no different from the FireKiller87's idea of "swordwing can't bring down a Seraph" but that's why their strength is in their numbers and supporting each other. Pawns by themselves can't control territory but with the support of other pawns and with stronger pieces like bishop, rooks, knights, and queen they can.

I did say the biggest difference between chess and Cosmic Break is that there is no king right? There is no one player controlling all but all as one entity called a team. There's a reason why Cosmic Break doesn't have a free-for-all type games but team battles. Like how black and white pieces start on opposite sides, notice in most union wars maps especially those with power spots, teams start at given territories. As the battle progresses rather than one person controlling units and forming positions to control territory, it is formed by team work via battle instincts. Also notice positioning and territory control diminishes on Union Wars at Random Arcantus maps. So there are some sort of territory control, being in ally territory is still much safer than enemy territory. If you were a Seraph fighting against another Seraph, would you rather be in an area where people are shooting at you or in an area where your allies helping you shoot down the other Seraph?

After connecting everyone's points/opinions together you just start seeing more depth.

Edit:
As in a game of chess, even in of pros, there are times pawns defeat the queen. Sacrificing a queen is usually a strategy to break pawn formation to unlock a way to checkmate the other player. So even in a game of chess a queen can be sacrificed for a win.
Back to top Go down
Malphes
Ace Poster
Ace Poster
Malphes

PostSubject: Re: Game-play: Redefine "skill" for Cosmic Break   Game-play: Redefine "skill" for Cosmic Break - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 7:19 pm

SeedZero wrote:
"Everyone is a queen" is not completely true, it would mean everyone would have the same commando, like your example of 3x HD Seraph. Even though we could, we haven't exactly had a Seraph only union war yet have we?
There's a lot more "queens" than just HD seraph.

Quote :
Isolated pawns in a game of chess is no different from the FireKiller87's idea of "swordwing can't bring down a Seraph" but that's why their strength is in their numbers and supporting each other. Pawns by themselves can't control territory but with the support of other pawns and with stronger pieces like bishop, rooks, knights, and queen they can.
1. this is cb, "pawns" are the biggest fucking threat there is out there. it takes you a good half minute to kill them and they eat half you hp and die for nothing. you can bet they'll be back within a minute hunting your ass too.
2. >swordwing can't bring down a seraph
if this is hd seraph, he'd usually be right
if it's standard seraph he's fucking wrong and needs to shut up

Quote :
I did say the biggest difference between chess and Cosmic Break is that there is no king right?
dracken

you're clearly new to this

Quote :
There is no one player controlling all but all as one entity called a team.
lol keep telling yourself that

Quote :
If you were a Seraph fighting against another Seraph, would you rather be in an area where people are shooting at you or in an area where your allies helping you shoot down the other Seraph?
it wouldn't matter, you're a seraph

Quote :
After connecting everyone's points/opinions together you just start seeing more depth.
after replying to your post i think you need to stop posting

Quote :
As in a game of chess, even in of pros, there are times pawns defeat the queen. Sacrificing a queen is usually a strategy to break pawn formation to unlock a way to checkmate the other player. So even in a game of chess a queen can be sacrificed for a win.
Too bad the team is like a non newtonian fluid, it's only going to take seconds for the "formation" to fix itself and chances are that queen's going to be kited to hell and do almost nothing.
Back to top Go down
SeedZero
SeedZero

PostSubject: Re: Game-play: Redefine "skill" for Cosmic Break   Game-play: Redefine "skill" for Cosmic Break - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 6:00 am

Malphes wrote:

There's a lot more "queens" than just HD seraph.

Of course there are. I was just referring to Trill's example. Like I said, everything is relative to everyone else on the field. There are plenty of other examples... A Jikun could be considered a queen in a Union War full of cannon ballers.

Malphes wrote:

1. this is cb, "pawns" are the biggest fucking threat there is out there. it takes you a good half minute to kill them and they eat half you hp and die for nothing. you can bet they'll be back within a minute hunting your ass too.
2. >swordwing can't bring down a seraph
if this is hd seraph, he'd usually be right
if it's standard seraph he's fucking wrong and needs to shut up

I think so too, but doesn't mean FireKiller87 is wrong either...

Malphes wrote:

dracken

What about Dracken? He's the guardian of DOS.... I don't see your point. What does it have to do with a single player game compared to a multi-player game?

Malphes wrote:

Team: a number of persons forming one of the sides in a game or contest
Are you claiming Union Wars doesn't have teams?

Malphes wrote:

it wouldn't matter, you're a seraph

It could be true for some people, it's subjective. For me it would matters, since I'm not really good at dog fights and getting shot by rail guns would make the situation worse.

Malphes wrote:

after replying to your post i think you need to stop posting

Feels more rude not to reply to someone's reply. If you're tired of reading my posts then stop reading them? Everyone so far had made good points, I just decided to put them to good use and compile them together. If everyone stops make good points then I'll stop XD.

Malphes wrote:

Too bad the team is like a non newtonian fluid, it's only going to take seconds for the "formation" to fix itself and chances are that queen's going to be kited to hell and do almost nothing.

lol that comment I made was non Cosmic Break related, it was just an answer to Trill's question about chess.
Back to top Go down
CapeMike
Master Poster
Master Poster
CapeMike

PostSubject: Re: Game-play: Redefine "skill" for Cosmic Break   Game-play: Redefine "skill" for Cosmic Break - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 12:19 pm

This actually reminds me of another arena mode I'd thought up some-time back, but forgot about....

Tentatively called 'Scramble Battle', and limited to 15 vs 15 Shuffle for logistics reasons, everyone goes in with a commando as usual, -but-, immediately after the start, everyone ends up with 3 randomly selected bots from the total combined pool of everyone in the battle!

Of course, this could be abused to hell and back(Beezle Commando!), but consider what would happen with someone like me who suddenly finds themselves with 3 Ivis, or someone else who ends up stuck with 3 glass cannons....

'Do you feel lucky, punk?' Could be the catch-phrase for this mode...is it at least an interesting idea? Smile
Back to top Go down
Kirika
Ace Poster
Ace Poster
Kirika

PostSubject: Re: Game-play: Redefine "skill" for Cosmic Break   Game-play: Redefine "skill" for Cosmic Break - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 1:34 pm

I played ten matches last night. Only ten. I'll explain it in chess terms, since that seems to be popular in this forum. I play pure sup, so I was always the pawn. The enemy team (esp in the BRD vs rooms @_@) were all "queens". And not in the fun cross dressing way. I was in a match of 6v6 at one point, and the other team was Rhesha, x2 Eris, x3 FC seraph. Ya. Not happening =3=

SeedZero wrote:

Malphes wrote:

He's most likely referring to the idea that the "teams" have very little communication in CBEN, and thus very little team work =3=

As a side note; it's refreshing to see a bit of decent debate on the forums, rather than simple opinion mongering.
Back to top Go down
FireKiller87
Ace Poster
Ace Poster
FireKiller87

Male Posts : 1708

PostSubject: Re: Game-play: Redefine "skill" for Cosmic Break   Game-play: Redefine "skill" for Cosmic Break - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 2:02 pm

Kirika wrote:
I played ten matches last night. Only ten. I'll explain it in chess terms, since that seems to be popular in this forum. I play pure sup, so I was always the pawn. The enemy team (esp in the BRD vs rooms @_@) were all "queens". And not in the fun cross dressing way. I was in a match of 6v6 at one point, and the other team was Rhesha, x2 Eris, x3 FC seraph. Ya. Not happening =3=

SeedZero wrote:

Malphes wrote:

He's most likely referring to the idea that the "teams" have very little communication in CBEN, and thus very little team work =3=

As a side note; it's refreshing to see a bit of decent debate on the forums, rather than simple opinion mongering.

I would normally agree with you, but it's moving into "flame everything and everyone" territory.
Back to top Go down
CapeMike
Master Poster
Master Poster
CapeMike

PostSubject: Re: Game-play: Redefine "skill" for Cosmic Break   Game-play: Redefine "skill" for Cosmic Break - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 2:03 pm

Kirika wrote:

SeedZero wrote:

Malphes wrote:

Oh, as long as I'm in a good mood, I'm communicating all the time with my team...as most of my 'main' bots have Broad Radar(my one 'must have' upgrade for any bot I use if they can equip it), I'm calling directions and movements...might explain why Astral 'upgraded' my Pulsycait to 'instant kill-on-sight' status, heh.... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Malphes
Ace Poster
Ace Poster
Malphes

PostSubject: Re: Game-play: Redefine "skill" for Cosmic Break   Game-play: Redefine "skill" for Cosmic Break - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 4:03 pm

SeedZero wrote:
Malphes wrote:

dracken

What about Dracken? He's the guardian of DOS.... I don't see your point. What does it have to do with a single player game compared to a multi-player game?
What about Dracken? He's the guardian of DOS.... He's one of the outright best melees, capable of permalocking you immediately out of the box, has CVEIL SREGAIN on demand, his main weapon always stuns, and his hp is great. What does one of the most outright broken units in the entire game have to do with a multiplayer game?

At least quit being so fucking presumptuous.

>I was just referring to Trill's example.

That doesn't fucking matter, there's still a shitload of other queens that aren't seraph.

> A Jikun could be considered a queen in a Union War full of cannon ballers.
No it wouldn't those cannonballers would kick her ass.

Stop posting. The reason everyone else's "points" are good is because yours are godawful.
Back to top Go down
Suki_Eve
Ace Poster
Ace Poster
Suki_Eve

Female Posts : 1493

PostSubject: Re: Game-play: Redefine "skill" for Cosmic Break   Game-play: Redefine "skill" for Cosmic Break - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 5:45 pm

Malphes wrote:
The reason everyone else's "points" are good is because yours are godawful.

This.

Just this.

You keep making analogies that do not fit anywhere remotely close to what CB is or what happens in CB. And for a thread that's about redefining what skill is in CB, it seems like you're just trying to force what CB *isn't* and trying to make that be what you think CB *is*. The game does not work like that. Just because you say it is like chess, does not make it like chess. It has absolutely zero relations to chess.

The meta will not change merely because you say it's something. Especially if you say it's something that it isn't.

Another thing.
Yesterday, I spawned into a match where the enemy team had a Wingslut, several FC Seraphs, a Toybox Girl BP, and a Shino Exroad all already in our base. I was a Katalina, and despite my "skill" and Katalina's sideboost I died within thirty seconds.

You can not possibly say skill is relevant in a meta like that.
Back to top Go down
Kirika
Ace Poster
Ace Poster
Kirika

PostSubject: Re: Game-play: Redefine "skill" for Cosmic Break   Game-play: Redefine "skill" for Cosmic Break - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 6:08 pm

FireKiller87 wrote:
I would normally agree with you, but it's moving into "flame everything and everyone" territory.

Sorry, wasn't my intent >_<

Suki wrote:

You can not possibly say skill is relevant in a meta like that.

I agree. There are just circumstances in the current arena that are unplayable =3= Skill only accounts for so much, in a game based in statistics. If this game was all about solid skill, then level 10 tuned bots would be roughly equivalent across the board, and that never has been true.
Back to top Go down
Me99909
Regular Poster
Regular Poster
Me99909

PostSubject: Re: Game-play: Redefine "skill" for Cosmic Break   Game-play: Redefine "skill" for Cosmic Break - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 6:14 pm

There is one problem with these chess metaphors.

A bot can cost 2k and still be nothing more than a pawn.

Also this whole 'why we have 3 bots in our commando' is nice and all.. but it doesn't work that way for me. I have my main bot, capped at level 5. TBG.

Then I have my backup bot, a Pacifer with Mega Lightning Gun and 39 fly. 15 or so Tec.

I could fill the third spot with the only viable position I can fill it with, a Chibi, or throw in my second TBG.

Usually I have something there that needs leveling. Right now, Crimrose HD. Usually, a Chibi but not to have a Chibi in my commando. To raise a bot that is female to level 10 for dispatches.

I suspect that many people use 1 or two commando slots for leveling reasons and not to have a diverse line-up.

Last edited by Me99909 on Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SeedZero
SeedZero

PostSubject: Re: Game-play: Redefine "skill" for Cosmic Break   Game-play: Redefine "skill" for Cosmic Break - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 6:18 pm

CapeMike wrote:
This actually reminds me of another arena mode I'd thought up some-time back, but forgot about....

Tentatively called 'Scramble Battle', and limited to 15 vs 15 Shuffle for logistics reasons, everyone goes in with a commando as usual, -but-, immediately after the start, everyone ends up with 3 randomly selected bots from the total combined pool of everyone in the battle!

Of course, this could be abused to hell and back(Beezle Commando!), but consider what would happen with someone like me who suddenly finds themselves with 3 Ivis, or someone else who ends up stuck with 3 glass cannons....

'Do you feel lucky, punk?' Could be the catch-phrase for this mode...is it at least an interesting idea? Smile

Ah that is interesting. It would make the game more chance based XD. When games have higher chance, it enables players with less skill (like newbies) to be able to win, which is why game designers like having more chance, since it brings new players into the game. The problem is that players don't like chance, they like games that require skill, some way they can have control of the outcome.

Cosmic Break's problem is that it's chance system focuses more towards players with money, rather than new players. So a chance based system that doesn't involve money like your idea could make games better.

Kirika wrote:

Ah I see. Yes there is very little team work in this game, there are a couple reasons for that:
  • Cosmic Break's union wars are very large, it's very difficult for 15 or 30 to work together especially when everyone doesn't know each other. If everyone was split into squads then it could be better.
  • Cosmic Break does not reward players enough for team work. You could be the healer that's keeping your whole time alive and be the reason why your team wins, but wouldn't have a high score on the leader-boards. Imagine if a healer could be first place on the leader-board almost all the time. It would enforce players to play various roles like healers instead of roles that involve who can damage or kill the most

So it's tough working on teamwork, but at least it's possible to improve it. Yes, communication skills would be a giant step on improving team work.

Malphes wrote:
SeedZero wrote:
Malphes wrote:

dracken

What about Dracken? He's the guardian of DOS.... He's one of the outright best melees, capable of permalocking you immediately out of the box, has CVEIL SREGAIN on demand, his main weapon always stuns, and his hp is great. What does one of the most outright broken units in the entire game have to do with a multiplayer game?

At least quit being so fucking presumptuous.

>I was just referring to Trill's example.

That doesn't fucking matter, there's still a shitload of other queens that aren't seraph.

> A Jikun could be considered a queen in a Union War full of cannon ballers.
No it wouldn't those cannonballers would kick her ass.

Stop posting. The reason everyone else's "points" are good is because yours are godawful.

A role of a king relies more on his mental skills than his physical skills. In a game of chess, the rook/bishop/knight/queen has higher physical abilities than the king, but the king represents the player, as the one controlling the pieces, which is why the King needs to be protected. I'm sorry if you misunderstood my point earlier.

My points are just an expansion of everyone else's points. If you think my example is bad compared to everyone else's, that is fine. Just don't mix points and examples together. There can be many examples to prove a point, I just prefer to refer to everyone else's.
Back to top Go down
boytitan2
Fishell
Fishell

Male Posts : 8639

PostSubject: Re: Game-play: Redefine "skill" for Cosmic Break   Game-play: Redefine "skill" for Cosmic Break - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 6:22 pm

This game skill... u fuckers are retarded screw this updateing repulse back to pc fps games till halo 4 comes out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Game-play: Redefine "skill" for Cosmic Break   Game-play: Redefine "skill" for Cosmic Break - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Game-play: Redefine "skill" for Cosmic Break
Page 3 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next