Cosmic Break
Welcome! to the Unofficial Fan Forums Please read the rules as soon as you can. It will only take a few minutes of your time to do so. If you are not willing to read them, you might not be here for long! Enjoy your stay and don't get into trouble.

Click here for Forum Rules

Click here for Cosmic Break Guides

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Need help with melee >_<:

Go down 
+17
piroton
Tuskin
ziix
nakee
RoboFranky
wereborg
knyx
Midona
Nisa
Suguri
zappa1
Z741
(´・ω・`)
TaeTae
xeon5
BNOISE
CapeMike
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
CapeMike
Master Poster
Master Poster
CapeMike

Male Posts : 2079

Need help with melee  >_<: Empty
PostSubject: Need help with melee >_<:   Need help with melee  >_<: EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 1:52 am

...yeah, I KNOW I'm legendarily bad with it(managing a grand total of -one- landed swing with an Ivis in the 1st and only time I used one in Beta pvp...ironically, it also resulted in my 1st melee kill), but I'd still like to not be a liability with it! Neutral

After some experiments, I've discovered where most of my problems may lie...and that's in the melee-spam style of attacking, which effectively rules out Ivis, Ouka, the Hatigarms, and Jikuns....

I've got a Shino paired with an 8-Vulcan and Metal Slayer, and the tonfa 2-hit comboing into the Metal Slayer seems to work well for me if I can get it timed properly...if not, by the time I realize I've overshot my target and get turned around, I'm usually dead! confused

So, as simply(and hopefully sympathetically) as you can, suggest a VERY forgiving lnd/melee setup, keeping everything above in mind and the fact that, at present, I don't have enough Rt to go that route, though that could change at anytime....

Even a basic guide to melee(especially the slower weapons) would be helpful, and if you see me in-game, toss me a hello and maybe we can setup a room for working on it? I hate to be asking for help on such a 'CB for idiots' topic, but it's gotten to the point where I'm actually terrified to get -into- melee range of someone...I've gotta get over this SOMEhow!

Thanks in advance!
Back to top Go down
BNOISE
Ace Poster
Ace Poster
BNOISE

Male Posts : 1216

PostSubject: Re: Need help with melee >_<:   Need help with melee  >_<: EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 2:21 am

1. Accel Saber legs over Shino legs.
2. Haku sword over Metal Slayer.
3. 2 Red Squealer Arms.

That would work for a start.

Guide to melee
Aim like you do with a gun.
Before running and hitting.
Don't just expect to mash click and expect that you will hit anything unless you are surrounded on all sides by 6 or 7 arts.
Watch your combo so you don't use a move you didn't intend to unless you really can't control it.
So if you are using multiple melee weapons and you intended to slash with just one sword so you won't move to much, don't just mash click again and end up actually slashing with your second sword and moving into enemy fire.
Back to top Go down
xeon5

PostSubject: Re: Need help with melee >_<:   Need help with melee  >_<: EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 3:06 am

my advice for metal slayer and shino would be, turn around straight after ur 1st 'charge' animation hits as most probably the target would be behind you, key to metal slayer and shino would be when to turn around, that need practice. Usual reaction for art after getting hit would be to fly, so u need to practice 'flying slash' as round. i would recommend getting a haku sword as well, as the range is much longer and easier for u to melee them.
Back to top Go down
TaeTae
Regular Poster
Regular Poster
TaeTae

PostSubject: Re: Need help with melee >_<:   Need help with melee  >_<: EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 5:01 am

jhammer
Back to top Go down
(´・ω・`)
Abbey Denied
Abbey Denied

Male Posts : 261

PostSubject: Re: Need help with melee >_<:   Need help with melee  >_<: EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 5:10 am

TaeTae wrote:
jhammer

^^
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/asukuu
CapeMike
Master Poster
Master Poster
CapeMike

PostSubject: Re: Need help with melee >_<:   Need help with melee  >_<: EmptyWed Feb 16, 2011 3:30 am

Normally, I don't like necro-ing my own threads, but I figured this merited an update....

I think I've(much more confidently this time) figured out a lot of what's wrong with me and melee, or more specifically, short-range combat here; it's, as a clanmate suggested, some psychological fear of being in close-range of a target...which WOULD go a long way towards explaining my bizarre -decrease- in accuracy the closer I get to a target(and vice versa), but that's how it's always been for me in games like this; give me something I can tag you halfway across the map with, and I'm happy as a clam all day long, but as soon as that 'comfort zone' is breached...yeah, I'm in trouble! Shocked

So, as silly as this may sound, how would you suggest I work on getting over this issue in-game? Opponents on Arcantus runs are helpful, but don't react like human players would, and I really wanna be useful to my team at SOMEthing besides long-range Support....

Thanks in advance again! Smile
Back to top Go down
Z741
Adept Poster
Adept Poster
Z741

Male Posts : 739

PostSubject: Re: Need help with melee >_<:   Need help with melee  >_<: EmptyWed Feb 16, 2011 4:09 am

Perhaps the solution would be the ability to get away lickety-split after scoring in a few melee hits? I used to be the same way [well, still anyway... can't use a LND in Arena properly ^^;] with melee attacks until I tried out a Seraph Crim with Ace Braver arms [credit goes to that Harassment Bot person]. Rush in, punch a few L ARTs, and retreat [as opposed to merely flying away, which is comparable to sticking a bullseye on your back and saying "HIT ME"].

While it might not be a complete fix to your problem, it's likely some headway.
Back to top Go down
zappa1
Regular Poster
Regular Poster
zappa1

Male Posts : 198

PostSubject: Re: Need help with melee >_<:   Need help with melee  >_<: EmptyWed Feb 16, 2011 5:19 am

Shino huh?

Well she is my favorite bot, I am not really in the mood to make a wall of text. So feel free to contact me in game and I'll gladly help you out. You could even observe me if you like and can watch what I am doing. Just let me know as sometimes I tend to use Saggitary Maxis depending on the map and opponents' line up.

- Narcomoeba
Back to top Go down
CapeMike
Master Poster
Master Poster
CapeMike

PostSubject: Re: Need help with melee >_<:   Need help with melee  >_<: EmptySat Feb 19, 2011 6:03 pm

Went back in and re-tweaked my Shino, giving it back 2 Red Sq. arms and keeping the Viper Shield/8-Vulcan setup....

The 8-Vulcan(boosted by a Burst Fire item) ate 1 bot alive at short range, while I managed a pair of melee kills within 10 seconds of each other! The 1st caught a hopper as he was trying to evade being binded by a Berll'...he just landed right in front of me as I was starting a 'Squealer PAUNCH!' moment, and the 2nd came moments later as I did a quick 180 and caught a lnd bot turning for a mushroom farm-item. Very Happy

...we still lost the match though...but at least I was -hitting- things!
Back to top Go down
Suguri
God Poster
God Poster
Suguri

Female Posts : 7765

PostSubject: Re: Need help with melee >_<:   Need help with melee  >_<: EmptySat Feb 19, 2011 6:11 pm

It might be a bit of an odd suggestion, but try soloing Haku. The reliance on melee to take him out quickly gives you a good feel for what ranges you can initiate melee attacks from, among other things. Running it a few times should give you a feel for what you're doing wrong, it's helped me out with Ouka, Jikun, and Zero Saber Girl.
Back to top Go down
CapeMike
Master Poster
Master Poster
CapeMike

PostSubject: Re: Need help with melee >_<:   Need help with melee  >_<: EmptySat Feb 19, 2011 11:50 pm

Suguri wrote:
It might be a bit of an odd suggestion, but try soloing Haku. The reliance on melee to take him out quickly gives you a good feel for what ranges you can initiate melee attacks from, among other things. Running it a few times should give you a feel for what you're doing wrong, it's helped me out with Ouka, Jikun, and Zero Saber Girl.
Well it's worth a try, though I'm not gonna feel entirely comfortable with it, hehe.

Was on a Defensive Epoch battle with WIZ earlier today after a few clanmates convinced me to, as a way of training/helping me get over my fear of melee, take in an all Lnd commando...made some changes to the Shino again(2 Viper Shields), and brought in a pair of little used Lnd bots; the idea was that I and some other melee-ers would be a distraction....

...imagine our surprise when our PS gets ganked barely a few minutes in by a few rushers!! We're still in it though, and I just rush in and start swinging at pretty much anything that moves!

...not only did we pull a miracle comeback win out of our hats(fighting off at least one other PS attempt), well, see for yourself....

Need help with melee  >_<: Yaymem10

3 Melee kills(with a 4th via 8-Vulcan) and the 1st time my melee damage has ever made up more than half the total I inflicted in a match! Very Happy

I'd like to think I've somehow managed to pass remedial melee at this point.... geek
Back to top Go down
zappa1
Regular Poster
Regular Poster
zappa1

Male Posts : 198

PostSubject: Re: Need help with melee >_<:   Need help with melee  >_<: EmptySun Feb 20, 2011 12:39 am

If you also find yourself using a LND bot on maps/situations that's rather unhealthy for your Shino. Keep in mind you could always sit on guard to be on guard duty to protect your fellow ARTs and SUPs from in coming melees. You could try to zone in towards your enemies, hiding behind terrains and look out for preys that is alone. But this is rather dangerous at times too. So your best bet in this situations is to just simply fall back, and guard your fellow ARTs and SUPs. Won't be long before an opposing LND type comes rushing through anyways.
Back to top Go down
CapeMike
Master Poster
Master Poster
CapeMike

PostSubject: Re: Need help with melee >_<:   Need help with melee  >_<: EmptySun Feb 20, 2011 1:42 am

An almost benny hill-themed chase occured during the match; a Lily Rain got seperated from the pack, and I went after it; the ensuing minute-long chase through a section of the maze finally ended when I caught up to it on a corner after wearing her down with 8-Vulcan fire from my 2nd Lnd bot and squealer paunch'd it to end the mayhem!

Woulda been hillarious if I coulda recorded it! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Nisa
God Poster
God Poster
Nisa

Female Posts : 7152

PostSubject: Re: Need help with melee >_<:   Need help with melee  >_<: EmptySun Feb 20, 2011 3:28 am

FKING MIRACLE ON ICE.
Back to top Go down
CapeMike
Master Poster
Master Poster
CapeMike

PostSubject: Re: Need help with melee >_<:   Need help with melee  >_<: EmptySun Feb 20, 2011 3:36 am

I just finished trying what Suguri suggested and attempted a 1* solo Haku run uising the same commando I had in the Epoch earlier(one with an 8-Vulcan and another with a pair of beam weapons that can stun often...Electron Gun?)....

Successfully finished it with about 12 minutes left, so I'm feeling fairly good about it now...; the dual slayer bits on the Shino appeared to be doing more damage than the dual lance bits on the 2nd bot, and I'm not sure why. Smile
Back to top Go down
Midona
Adept Poster
Adept Poster
Midona

Male Posts : 608

PostSubject: Re: Need help with melee >_<:   Need help with melee  >_<: EmptySun Feb 20, 2011 6:12 am

Mightybane/Ouka/Lagkun and Kamui staff and Viper shield/Lancerlot shieldAM. All others thing (I don't speak about jhammer neither ivis, not released yet) are useless.

/thread
Back to top Go down
knyx
Grand Poster
Grand Poster
knyx

PostSubject: Re: Need help with melee >_<:   Need help with melee  >_<: EmptySun Feb 20, 2011 11:46 am

CapeMike wrote:
I just finished trying what Suguri suggested and attempted a 1* solo Haku run uising the same commando I had in the Epoch earlier(one with an 8-Vulcan and another with a pair of beam weapons that can stun often...Electron Gun?)....

Successfully finished it with about 12 minutes left, so I'm feeling fairly good about it now...; the dual slayer bits on the Shino appeared to be doing more damage than the dual lance bits on the 2nd bot, and I'm not sure why. Smile

Ditch the beam weapons for a shotgun and a 3-way (or another good direct damage weapon like slash blade, IMO this thing is better than the Haku sword), 8-vulcan can stay or you can change it out for a sweeper shotgun (or custom shotgun if you manage to get one from boss drops).

Best L-size free melee weapon for Haku is Squealer arms, nothing really for medium, s-size should go with a 3-way dagger. If you Rt then you can upgrade to a slash blade and combination dagger. (I think the best thing about slash blade is that its flying waves almost always hit Haku since he's such a huge target, and I quested with this guy with a slash blade Izuna who killed Haku first form in about 10 seconds)
Back to top Go down
Suguri
God Poster
God Poster
Suguri

Female Posts : 7765

PostSubject: Re: Need help with melee >_<:   Need help with melee  >_<: EmptySun Feb 20, 2011 1:13 pm

While we're on the subject of Haku equipment...

• 8-vulcans can keep up with shotguns in DPS, but with the advantage that you can easily land all bullets so long as he's within range. I actually like 8-Vulcans more specifically because of final's tornado attack and shell drain form in general.
  • 3-way Daggers are really starting to seem overrated to me when it comes to this fight, the lack of a lunge and the massive interval doesn't seem to make up for the damage. As far as UC weapons go I think lances on lands and supports and duel rapiers on airs are actually the best choice. If you stick with the 3-ways and need a melee part, I recommend Ace Braver AM for S-bots/airs and Red Squealer AM for M and L-size bots/lands. Not quite sure what supports would use, I've been using Jack Gadget AM2s on my Medi and nothing on my C.S. (obviously).
  • Sweeper shotguns have horrid spread and fire slowly. If you want to go the shotgun route, a force-tuned shotgun will come very close to matching a custom shotgun.
  • Back to top Go down
    wereborg
    Newcomer
    Newcomer
    wereborg

PostSubject: Re: Need help with melee >_<:   Need help with melee  >_<: EmptyTue Feb 22, 2011 6:01 am

my tips on meleeing

dontt use main weapon in hand, use main weapon in body or head, so the crooss hair is right at center, and your melee is right into dat bot

or dont use any main weapon, rely on your instinct to dealt damage to your opponent.
    Back to top Go down
    CapeMike
    Master Poster
    Master Poster
    CapeMike

PostSubject: Re: Need help with melee >_<:   Need help with melee  >_<: EmptySat Feb 26, 2011 5:47 pm

Someone(wish I could remember who) suggested I re-tool my lnd-melee bots to, since I'm not used to front-line combat, something that can hang back and defend the Support and Art bots on my team if something gets near them....

Gotta rethink how to make this work...ideas? Smile
    Back to top Go down
    CapeMike
    Master Poster
    Master Poster
    CapeMike

PostSubject: Re: Need help with melee >_<:   Need help with melee  >_<: EmptySun Mar 13, 2011 10:07 pm

It just keeps getting WORSE....

Lucked into a Byne on my alt account...

...ZERO MELEE DAMAGE in a match earlier!! Sad

Yeah, if even Byne can't help me, you know it's bad...I'd post the pic, but I don't really want to reveal said alt yet....

Worst melee-er in CB, right here...no contest.... *shrug*

No
    Back to top Go down
    BNOISE
    Ace Poster
    Ace Poster
    BNOISE

Male Posts : 1216

PostSubject: Re: Need help with melee >_<:   Need help with melee  >_<: EmptySun Mar 13, 2011 10:52 pm

ok try meleeing in training arena then
    see how that works for you first

so you get a grip on how they move and combos you can pull off
    Back to top Go down
    RoboFranky
    Ace Poster
    Ace Poster
    RoboFranky

Male Posts : 1312

PostSubject: Re: Need help with melee >_<:   Need help with melee  >_<: EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 1:23 am

U got Byne? I love you

well, he is pretty slow to begin with. Try Accel Saber's BS to move a lil faster.
    Best weapons I recommend for Byne:
    Kamui Staff
    Bazooka

Off Topic:
    Remodel his horn, make it big, color it black. Then name him Elvis Presley Very Happy
    Back to top Go down
    nakee
    Regular Poster
    Regular Poster
    nakee

Male Posts : 107

PostSubject: Re: Need help with melee >_<:   Need help with melee  >_<: EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 1:30 am

first, stop thinking that you're bad with melee

then do what everybody do, practice.
    i highly recommend to use red squealer that thig has good aiming o.O
    Back to top Go down
    CapeMike
    Master Poster
    Master Poster
    CapeMike

PostSubject: Re: Need help with melee >_<:   Need help with melee  >_<: EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 4:27 pm

RoboFranky wrote:
    U got Byne? I love you

well, he is pretty slow to begin with. Try Accel Saber's BS to move a lil faster.
    Best weapons I recommend for Byne:
    Kamui Staff
    Bazooka

Off Topic:
    Remodel his horn, make it big, color it black. Then name him Elvis Presley Very Happy

Elvis...hehe, good idea!

Problem is, I've yet to get a Kamui/Haku staff(doesnt a certain gate order have something to do with it?), and I've actually got a Shino/Red Sq. fusion bot in my garage...it works, unless I overshoot the target and take forEVER to get turned around! :\
    Back to top Go down
    Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need help with melee >_<:   Need help with melee  >_<: Empty

Back to top Go down

Need help with melee >_<:
    Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next