Cosmic Break
Welcome! to the Unofficial Fan Forums Please read the rules as soon as you can. It will only take a few minutes of your time to do so. If you are not willing to read them, you might not be here for long! Enjoy your stay and don't get into trouble.

Click here for Forum Rules

Click here for Cosmic Break Guides

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Mabye it's ok being a 1-trick pony? :\

Go down 
+17
foxlaszlo
Suki_Eve
AthenaWyrm
Nilla
Dune
Malphes
Kirika
Zwiebel Force
Hyoka
FireKiller87
Retrias
dsp
Stickboy
ziix
dbzfan922
Suguri
CapeMike
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
CapeMike
Master Poster
Master Poster
CapeMike

Male Posts : 2079

Mabye it's ok being a 1-trick pony?  :\ Empty
PostSubject: Mabye it's ok being a 1-trick pony? :   Mabye it's ok being a 1-trick pony?  :\ EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 10:16 pm

Still get upset with myself over not being able to do much here besides Support(and specifically, ruin arts days with Pulsycait), but people have recently suggested maybe I should just stick with that, as I seem to be pretty good at it....

I mean, I still wanna be able to help in other ways(and have at least found a tiny little niche' in my Mach Knight Ace w/ Cross Raptor Ams)...but maybe I need to consider staying with what I know.

Short, but hopefully a thought-provoking question...advice, anyone? Surprised Icy

p.s.: Thanks for the compliment, Macropyre(spelling?)...it really helped, even if I didn't say anything about it then....
Back to top Go down
Suguri
God Poster
God Poster
Suguri

Female Posts : 7765

PostSubject: Re: Mabye it's ok being a 1-trick pony? :\   Mabye it's ok being a 1-trick pony?  :\ EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 10:47 pm

It's only a bad thing if you get bored doing what you're good at. Unless there's a special gimmick to a character that clicks with me, I'm only good at highly mobile glass-cannon type characters in any game (AIRs in CosmicBreak, Scout in Team Fortress 2, V.Akiha in Melty Blood (no CAV/Trill go away), Kae in Acceleration of Suguri, etc). I like supporting roles, but I have zero leadership skills and always feel like I'd be doing more good in combat situations. I tried to get into playing ART once, but I'm usually too aggressive and end up dying early; I can't do defensive playstyles at all (I've started to get better at Muchi after taking a more a passive-aggressive approach, but I digress). I like trying other things every so often, but I don't expect to be any good at them.

That said, I never understood why you wanted to get better at melee in the first place. It's not exactly a role worth being good at; you're food to airs, anyone more mobile than you can just kite you and shoot you for free, and your favored prey (ARTs) tend to be built for flight, favor defensive positions on elevated terrain, usually have Broad Radar, and hide behind teammates, making them risky to rush in the first place. Nearly all successful melee attempts in CosmicBreak involve Eris, HS Ivis, and/or a third world internet conenction.

tl;dr We all have our niche, there's no reason to try to grow out of it unless you really feel the need for change.
Back to top Go down
dbzfan922
Ace Poster
Ace Poster
dbzfan922

Male Posts : 1965

PostSubject: Re: Mabye it's ok being a 1-trick pony? :\   Mabye it's ok being a 1-trick pony?  :\ EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 10:48 pm

you have a really good point, plus one-trick ponies make the best glue
Back to top Go down
ziix
Burger Molcar
Burger Molcar

PostSubject: Re: Mabye it's ok being a 1-trick pony? :\   Mabye it's ok being a 1-trick pony?  :\ EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 11:03 pm

You should play what you want. As long as you're having fun, everythingsfine unless you're ruining everyone else's fun.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mabye it's ok being a 1-trick pony? :\   Mabye it's ok being a 1-trick pony?  :\ EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 11:04 pm

It's ok to be yourself, just do what you do best and enjoy what you enjoy best. Don't matter if you're not the best player in the game, just have fun.
Back to top Go down
Stickboy
Master Poster
Master Poster
Stickboy

Male Posts : 2971

PostSubject: Re: Mabye it's ok being a 1-trick pony? :\   Mabye it's ok being a 1-trick pony?  :\ EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 11:13 pm

Frauever suppport, lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mabye it's ok being a 1-trick pony? :\   Mabye it's ok being a 1-trick pony?  :\ EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 11:14 pm

Being support isn't that bad. Embarassed
Melfi makes your heart go HHHHHHHHHNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGG...!!!
Back to top Go down
dsp
Adept Poster
Adept Poster
dsp

PostSubject: Re: Mabye it's ok being a 1-trick pony? :\   Mabye it's ok being a 1-trick pony?  :\ EmptySat Jun 02, 2012 12:40 am

Suguri wrote:
>highly mobile glass-cannon type characters in any game
V.Akiha in Melty Blood

Nanaya is more of a glass cannon than Akiha
Normal akiha/Seifuku Akiha and even miyako would have better mobility than Vakiha whose normals are a tad slower

back on topic:

Noone cares about the game anymore, if you feel more useful as support then go as support, it doesn't hurt to try something else if you get bored of it though.
Back to top Go down
Retrias
Adept Poster
Adept Poster
Retrias

PostSubject: Re: Mabye it's ok being a 1-trick pony? :\   Mabye it's ok being a 1-trick pony?  :\ EmptySat Jun 02, 2012 1:03 am

I spent my entire cb career as a one trick pony, HELL i technically spent all of my MMO career as a on trick pony
Back to top Go down
Suguri
God Poster
God Poster
Suguri

Female Posts : 7765

PostSubject: Re: Mabye it's ok being a 1-trick pony? :\   Mabye it's ok being a 1-trick pony?  :\ EmptySat Jun 02, 2012 1:25 am

dsp wrote:
Nanaya is more of a glass cannon than Akiha
Normal akiha/Seifuku Akiha and even miyako would have better mobility than Vakiha whose normals are a tad slower
I've only played MBAC, and I don't recall anyone more fragile than VAkiha in that.
Back to top Go down
FireKiller87
Ace Poster
Ace Poster
FireKiller87

Male Posts : 1708

PostSubject: Re: Mabye it's ok being a 1-trick pony? :\   Mabye it's ok being a 1-trick pony?  :\ EmptySat Jun 02, 2012 1:39 am

Honestly, this game needs more decent supporters. If you've found your niche, then play it like a man. Sing it out loud and proud. Everyone's got a role to play, and honestly Support is just as important as a team's attack or defense abilities. After all, that shit doesn't matter if there aren't any healers to keep the aggressives or the tankers healthy.

My niche just happens to be playing semi-aggressively with a focus on Air tactics. I love to play my first Seraph, just flying around throwing AG-missiles at people, so I do it and to hell with anything people say. As long as you don't fuck with other people who're trying to have fun, do whatever you love doing.

And honestly, I saw you in the arena not too long ago and you seem to be doing just fine as a Supporter. So just stick with it.
Back to top Go down
CapeMike
Master Poster
Master Poster
CapeMike

PostSubject: Re: Mabye it's ok being a 1-trick pony? :\   Mabye it's ok being a 1-trick pony?  :\ EmptySat Jun 02, 2012 1:56 am

I'll get there yet...but I always seem to fall into this kinda role in games...just wish I could trace it back to where it started.... Smile
Back to top Go down
Hyoka
Gaming Molcars
Gaming Molcars

PostSubject: Re: Mabye it's ok being a 1-trick pony? :\   Mabye it's ok being a 1-trick pony?  :\ EmptySat Jun 02, 2012 2:51 am

Well, as long as you're not My Little Pony.

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Back to top Go down
Zwiebel Force
Cosmic Onion
Zwiebel Force

Male Posts : 11444

PostSubject: Re: Mabye it's ok being a 1-trick pony? :\   Mabye it's ok being a 1-trick pony?  :\ EmptySat Jun 02, 2012 8:39 am

Maybe you're just like a Vanguard? You only do one thing, but you're doing it awesome *-*

As long as you have fun and as long as you're not a dick or whatever people may want to call it, it is all fine, no? I observed you a few times and I'd be glad if I could support the way you do it. All my jelly ;_;
Back to top Go down
CapeMike
Master Poster
Master Poster
CapeMike

PostSubject: Re: Mabye it's ok being a 1-trick pony? :\   Mabye it's ok being a 1-trick pony?  :\ EmptySat Jun 02, 2012 12:06 pm

*Sends bad joke police after Hyoka* Wink

I invariably manage to practically 'invent' my own niche in games like this, or even MMORPGs...; take City of Heroes(LOVE that game, but have been unable to play it since late 2009)...I took my 1st character there, a Energy/Devices Blaster, and turned it into a pure rear-line defensive fire support type...it worked -great- in normal PvE missions on teams, and on the rare occasion I took it into PvP, a few Trip Mines to the face(http://cityofheroes.wikia.com/wiki/Devices) usually made them wonder where I was hiding out.... Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Kirika
Ace Poster
Ace Poster
Kirika

PostSubject: Re: Mabye it's ok being a 1-trick pony? :\   Mabye it's ok being a 1-trick pony?  :\ EmptySat Jun 02, 2012 2:47 pm

I agree that it's fine so long as it's something you enjoy. I nearly always play sups, I just really like helping other players ^_^ In nearly every mmo I've played, I play a cleric or heal class. If you enjoy it, stick with it. Besides, CBEN tends to lack sup players (unless this has drastically changed in the last few weeks?), so you're a rare breed =P
Back to top Go down
Malphes
Ace Poster
Ace Poster
Malphes

PostSubject: Re: Mabye it's ok being a 1-trick pony? :\   Mabye it's ok being a 1-trick pony?  :\ EmptySat Jun 02, 2012 3:26 pm

i was seeing a decent number of healers yesterday
Back to top Go down
Dune
Ace Poster
Ace Poster
Dune

Male Posts : 1071

PostSubject: Re: Mabye it's ok being a 1-trick pony? :\   Mabye it's ok being a 1-trick pony?  :\ EmptySat Jun 02, 2012 3:54 pm

Its fine Cape... ya know.. I always thought heal support would be my favorite and best thing in CB, and thought it took way too damn long to even get my hands on a viable healing support... the other support I got shortly after showed me that I do my best as an offensive support.. and god I never liked using a bot as much as I have my Su-chan ;-;

So yeah, if ya find something ya like, enjoy, and are good at.. stick with it till the end!
Back to top Go down
Nilla
Adept Poster
Adept Poster
Nilla

Male Posts : 828

PostSubject: Re: Mabye it's ok being a 1-trick pony? :\   Mabye it's ok being a 1-trick pony?  :\ EmptySat Jun 02, 2012 4:55 pm

I can only do somewhat ok with muchis
All my other bots are moeshit so they dont count
Back to top Go down
AthenaWyrm
AthenaWyrm

Male Posts : 71

PostSubject: Re: Mabye it's ok being a 1-trick pony? :\   Mabye it's ok being a 1-trick pony?  :\ EmptySat Jun 02, 2012 10:09 pm

Suguri wrote:
That said, I never understood why you wanted to get better at melee in the first place. It's not exactly a role worth being good at; you're food to airs, anyone more mobile than you can just kite you and shoot you for free, and your favored prey (ARTs) tend to be built for flight, favor defensive positions on elevated terrain, usually have Broad Radar, and hide behind teammates, making them risky to rush in the first place.

Because it feels incredibly satisfying slicing their body in half.
Back to top Go down
Suki_Eve
Ace Poster
Ace Poster
Suki_Eve

Female Posts : 1493

PostSubject: Re: Mabye it's ok being a 1-trick pony? :\   Mabye it's ok being a 1-trick pony?  :\ EmptySat Jun 02, 2012 10:21 pm

Well, I think it's better to be a one-trick pony than to be decent at most things while never being spectacular at any one thing. I seem to be like that, so maybe that's just my opinion. ||Orz
Back to top Go down
Stickboy
Master Poster
Master Poster
Stickboy

Male Posts : 2971

PostSubject: Re: Mabye it's ok being a 1-trick pony? :\   Mabye it's ok being a 1-trick pony?  :\ EmptySat Jun 02, 2012 10:53 pm

Mike still needs pulsardio... Gamma or sigma, cant remember to make epic troll SUP. ._.
Back to top Go down
FireKiller87
Ace Poster
Ace Poster
FireKiller87

Male Posts : 1708

PostSubject: Re: Mabye it's ok being a 1-trick pony? :\   Mabye it's ok being a 1-trick pony?  :\ EmptySat Jun 02, 2012 11:07 pm

AthenaWyrm wrote:
Suguri wrote:
That said, I never understood why you wanted to get better at melee in the first place. It's not exactly a role worth being good at; you're food to airs, anyone more mobile than you can just kite you and shoot you for free, and your favored prey (ARTs) tend to be built for flight, favor defensive positions on elevated terrain, usually have Broad Radar, and hide behind teammates, making them risky to rush in the first place.

Because it feels incredibly satisfying slicing their body in half.

The effect would be enhanced if we could actually slash bots in half.
I agree with Suki; if you're absolutely superior at just one thing, and shit at everything else, just do the one thing. I personally like to be good at everything(or even just well-rounded) because I like playing multiple roles, but if you're pro at a niche role, then go for it! There's no reason at all to sacrifice your enjoyment just because you're not well-rounded but are superior at one role, and that applies to real life as well.

Also, since Eris came out the whole "melee is awesome" thing kinda died on me, and I'm sure it died on everyone else. So don't feel bad about sucking at melee.
Back to top Go down
CapeMike
Master Poster
Master Poster
CapeMike

PostSubject: Re: Mabye it's ok being a 1-trick pony? :\   Mabye it's ok being a 1-trick pony?  :\ EmptySun Jun 03, 2012 3:00 am

Well, was a day of ups and downs for me here....

Scored my 1st melee kill in 2+ months(17 melee kills now total vs 26 Dio Missile kills) on an Eris while she was getting pummeled by short range fire....

...then took my monthly uc > rt gara roll on the Weekly one...and ended up with a Jet Hammer...have 2 of them now.... Sad

For the love of all that's holy, when am I gonna get a break?!? Sad Icy

...oh, and it's Gamma, Stickboy....
Back to top Go down
foxlaszlo
Regular Poster
Regular Poster
foxlaszlo

Male Posts : 117

PostSubject: Re: Mabye it's ok being a 1-trick pony? :\   Mabye it's ok being a 1-trick pony?  :\ EmptySun Jun 03, 2012 4:03 am

I know that feel... I only get top 10 if I use Nemlim...
My favourite bot is Lazflamme, but if I use her I'm mid-table for sure.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mabye it's ok being a 1-trick pony? :\   Mabye it's ok being a 1-trick pony?  :\ Empty

Back to top Go down

Mabye it's ok being a 1-trick pony? :\
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next