Cosmic Break
Welcome! to the Unofficial Fan Forums Please read the rules as soon as you can. It will only take a few minutes of your time to do so. If you are not willing to read them, you might not be here for long! Enjoy your stay and don't get into trouble.

Click here for Forum Rules

Click here for Cosmic Break Guides

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Mayhems New Toy

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Mayhems New Toy Empty
PostSubject: Mayhems New Toy   Mayhems New Toy EmptySat Oct 02, 2010 9:49 pm

I just bought a new computer...

She holds SIX cores on a AMD Phenom II 1045T Six-Core Processor...

64-bit 8GB DDR3 system memory...

1 Terabyte hard drive...

Blu-ray player with a DVD burner...

ATI Radeon HD 5570 graphics card with 1GB DDR3 dedicated memory with DirectX 11... (Replaced to an ATI Radeon HD 5770 graphics card with 1GB GDDR5 dedicated memory with DirectX 11.)

Wireless internet...

15 memory card readers such as for video cameras and such...

64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium...

AND I got a free 50something dollar logitech gaming headset with it...
http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/speakers-audio/headphones/devices/5848

Now you pair that with my 100something dollar G15 gaming keyboard with light up keys + a display monitor and a bunch of macro/quick keys, a 22inch HD monitor, a 36inch HD 1080p tv set, an epic logitech speaker system and my wireless 8 button logitech laser mouse.

My keyboard: http://www.gameguru.in/images/logitech-upgraded-g15-keyboard.jpg

I had to change my pants. Exclamation

... The tower alone was around *cough* a thousand dollars.

Last edited by Mayhem on Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
iDestroy
Newcomer
Newcomer

Male Posts : 7

Mayhems New Toy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mayhems New Toy   Mayhems New Toy EmptyWed Oct 06, 2010 10:59 pm

lol your toy is sick men i want one too Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
FenixStryk
Regular Poster
Regular Poster
FenixStryk

Male Posts : 382

Mayhems New Toy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mayhems New Toy   Mayhems New Toy EmptyWed Oct 06, 2010 11:03 pm

Mayhem wrote:
Wireless internet...
Ouch. When a nearby radio tower or a microwave drops your connection during an important Arena match, you know what I'll tell you.

Otherwise, congrats on the new rig. It should last you for about a half-decade or more; PC games haven't exactly been pushing the limit since Crysis.
Back to top Go down
Hyoka
Gaming Molcars
Gaming Molcars

Mayhems New Toy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mayhems New Toy   Mayhems New Toy EmptyWed Oct 06, 2010 11:49 pm

Crisis II *shudder*
Back to top Go down

Mayhems New Toy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mayhems New Toy   Mayhems New Toy EmptyThu Oct 07, 2010 6:08 am

You make my laptop feel real bad D:

i3-330m Dual core 2.13GHz
ATi Mobility Radeon HD 5145
3gb DDR3
320gb HDD
Windows 7 Home Premium 32-BIT

*cringes*
Back to top Go down

Mayhems New Toy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mayhems New Toy   Mayhems New Toy EmptyThu Oct 07, 2010 8:13 am

FenixStryk wrote:
Mayhem wrote:
Wireless internet...
Ouch. When a nearby radio tower or a microwave drops your connection during an important Arena match, you know what I'll tell you..

So far since I got it I've had no issues with my internet. In fact, it's 100 times more stable than my cable.

Mayhems New Toy 979922833

The download speed is normally 10mb, but I AM logged into two online games and listening to last fm which is an online radio. cheers
Back to top Go down
werty16
Regular Poster
Regular Poster
werty16

Male Posts : 224

Mayhems New Toy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mayhems New Toy   Mayhems New Toy EmptyThu Oct 07, 2010 11:46 am

darn thats nice piece of machinery right there
only thing mah old runt can keep up with is the 1 terabyte harddrive XD
but it hasnt failed me yet so only thing i rlly want is a better monitor
oh and for the sound
http://slovenskainzercia.sk/x-sk/inz/1025/1025174-veza-panasonic-sa-pm22-1.jpg
this lil thing hooked up to pc is quite nice
Back to top Go down

Mayhems New Toy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mayhems New Toy   Mayhems New Toy EmptyThu Oct 07, 2010 4:41 pm

Mayhem wrote:
FenixStryk wrote:
Mayhem wrote:
Wireless internet...
Ouch. When a nearby radio tower or a microwave drops your connection during an important Arena match, you know what I'll tell you..

So far since I got it I've had no issues with my internet. In fact, it's 100 times more stable than my cable.

The download speed is normally 10mb, but I AM logged into two online games and listening to last fm which is an online radio. cheers

Lol even my crappy new Zealand Internet has faster speed than that lol
Back to top Go down

Mayhems New Toy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mayhems New Toy   Mayhems New Toy EmptyThu Oct 07, 2010 5:26 pm

sunjae429 wrote:
Mayhem wrote:
FenixStryk wrote:
Mayhem wrote:
Wireless internet...

I live in the US, which has nearly one of the worst internet access from all the first world countries. We don't even have a law that states how much a provider should be giving us for internet speed for any price. America has pathetic internet laws and no one is doing anything to change them.

Personally, I pay close to 50usd per month for those speeds. Yet half an hours drive away to the next town, they provide the same speed for less than half that price. The internet provider I use is the only one that provides internet in this town. So they milk us for all the money they can get because they wont get in trouble for it.
Back to top Go down
koi
Regular Poster
Regular Poster
koi

Female Posts : 388

Mayhems New Toy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mayhems New Toy   Mayhems New Toy EmptyThu Oct 07, 2010 5:31 pm

Hereby I declare that your new toy sucks unless you know what you were buying.
You got an average video card and really, really SLOW CPU, not to mention an amount of memory your system will probably never consume.

I'd better buy an intel i5-760/4GB ram/ATI 5850 or Nvidia GTX470.

p.s. I got this for $47
Mayhems New Toy 982018695
Back to top Go down

Mayhems New Toy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mayhems New Toy   Mayhems New Toy EmptyThu Oct 07, 2010 5:50 pm

koi wrote:
Hereby I declare that your new toy sucks unless you know what you were buying.
You got an average video card and really, really SLOW CPU, not to mention an amount of memory your system will probably never consume.

I'd better buy an intel i5-760/4GB ram/ATI 5850 or Nvidia GTX470.

How is a Radeon HD 5570 "average" when it is in the current family for Radeon cards? The current series is 5000. It's only 8 cards away from being the best offered by ATI.

Apparently my CPU is really slow and yet I can play a handful of games at once all on max settings without seeing any system lag while at the same time having firefox and multiple random programs open as well.

You mean the 1 terabyte I've already used 1/4 of within 5 days of getting it?

Right, well I'm going to go back to playing Bad Company 2 and Medal of Honor beta (Both new games) on the max settings without any frame lag while you explain to me how the CPU and GPU are not worthy. Last time I checked, I was not going to run 10 copies of Medal of Honor at the same time on this machine.

Oh man, that game is just totally old school and in no way a beautiful game that I've been playing on the highest settings. /sarcasm

For the record both BC2 and MOH are very well coded and highly optimized.
koi wrote:

p.s. I got this for $47
Mayhems New Toy 982018695

What do you not understand about the US having no internet laws that allows providers to host dial up for 100usd/month if they wanted to?

Also for the record, the US is nearly on top of the list of internet users for the country. As I already said, there are no actual laws to a minimum speed a provider should provide and how much it should cost. Even if there was a law that states that we should get certain speeds, they would need to charge more than other countries since the traffic in this country for internet use is very high.
http://www.internetworldstats.com/images/top202010.png
Back to top Go down

Mayhems New Toy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mayhems New Toy   Mayhems New Toy EmptyThu Oct 07, 2010 6:19 pm

Mayhem wrote:
sunjae429 wrote:
Mayhem wrote:
FenixStryk wrote:
Mayhem wrote:
Wireless internet...

I live in the US, which has nearly one of the worst internet access from all the first world countries. We don't even have a law that states how much a provider should be giving us for internet speed for any price. America has pathetic internet laws and no one is doing anything to change them.

Personally, I pay close to 50usd per month for those speeds. Yet half an hours drive away to the next town, they provide the same speed for less than half that price. The internet provider I use is the only one that provides internet in this town. So they milk us for all the money they can get because they wont get in trouble for it.

No really, I'm actually very lucky in NZ since the government just started installin. Optic fibre into the streets, which existed in everywhere else from 10 years ago. Well korea at least. Anyway, most of my friends' Internet don't even go to 1mb, and I pay $70 bucks for my connection. That is approximately 50 in us I think. And being one of the 1000 houses that have fibre, our internet will be at this speed, until every house in nz gets fibre, then I drop to about your speed.
Back to top Go down
koi
Regular Poster
Regular Poster
koi

Mayhems New Toy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mayhems New Toy   Mayhems New Toy EmptyThu Oct 07, 2010 6:28 pm

Oh, just google for some benchmarks. 5570 is the cheap low/middle-end videocard, it's not fast.

Then, CPU is also slow. It has 6 friggin cores and it's still outperformed by quad-core i5. Why? There are various reasons, but it's mainly because its cores are slow and even then software is just unable to utilize all 6 cores, except for few specialized video rendering and graphics applications. It's like having 6 slowpokes instead of 4 normal people.

Regarding memory - I was talking about RAM. It's hell cheap, but even then I'd rather throw additional $100 in a good video card. I rarely manage to use up all 4GB of RAM I have, even when working with virtual machines while web server and other applications are still running.

And, surprise! We also don't have any internet law. I remember paying $50 for 128kbps DSL a few years ago.
Back to top Go down

Mayhems New Toy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mayhems New Toy   Mayhems New Toy EmptyThu Oct 07, 2010 6:56 pm

koi wrote:
Oh, just google for some benchmarks. 5570 is the cheap low/middle-end videocard, it's not fast.

Then, CPU is also slow. It has 6 friggin cores and it's still outperformed by quad-core i5. Why? There are various reasons, but it's mainly because its cores are slow and even then software is just unable to utilize all 6 cores, except for few specialized video rendering and graphics applications. It's like having 6 slowpokes instead of 4 normal people.

Regarding memory - I was talking about RAM. It's hell cheap, but even then I'd rather throw additional $100 in a good video card. I rarely manage to use up all 4GB of RAM I have, even when working with virtual machines while web server and other applications are still running.

And, surprise! We also don't have any internet law. I remember paying $50 for 128kbps DSL a few years ago.

Again how is the Radeon HD 5570 low end when the highest is only 8 cards ahead and the 4000 series is still being sold in all the stores here. Meaning the 5570 is above the mid line for Radeons being sold.

What exactly are you or any normal person going to run that the Phenom II X6 1045T can't handle? It's a 2.7Ghz like any standard processor.

Recommended RAM is 6GB. As you already said, it's cheap. 8GB is also the standard as you rarely see 6gb towers at any shop in this location.

Well there you go, it's obvious the US is fucked up when it comes to internet.
Back to top Go down

Mayhems New Toy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mayhems New Toy   Mayhems New Toy EmptyThu Oct 07, 2010 7:15 pm

Mayhem wrote:
koi wrote:

Again how is the Radeon HD 5570 low end when the highest is only 8 cards ahead and the 4000 series is still being sold in all the stores here. Meaning the 5570 is above the mid line for Radeons being sold.

What exactly are you or any normal person going to run that the Phenom II X6 1045T can't handle? It's a 2.7Ghz like any standard processor.

Recommended RAM is 6GB. As you already said, it's cheap. 8GB is also the standard as you rarely see 6gb towers at any shop in this location.

Well there you go, it's obvious the US is fucked up when it comes to internet.

Mayhem you're making a mistake here

Just because the card is new it doesnt really mean it's better. A 4870 or something easily outperforms your 5570. My 5145 gets owned by even a 4570 for that matter.

No matter which AMD is not really the ideal choice of CPUs. Running at 2.7GHz? We have the problem here and also the cache isn't that high. Not to mention the reason AMD fails miserably behind Intel is because AMD uses fairly low quality silicon. That is a big performance gap. Koi had been slightly exaggerating about the slowpokes thing but Id have to agree with him that it's not what it's all cracked up to be. Imo the only two worthy hexa cores in the market are the really expensive i7-980x and the 970. Others simply do not have the clock speed or the cache, and AMD is gonna have a tough time catching up.

And lastly, except for korea, japan, and sweden(I think) it's only normal to be unhappy about the Internet. In both Korea and japan Internet is completely free, and has super fast speed. Times like this we look at your sig mayhem Surprised

Edit:
Quote :

Try running multiple sessions of Visual Studio C#, C++, Basic at the same time while running Sibelius 6 and playing CB at the same time. That's how my laptop works everyday. I get bsods etc every 5 minutes, and the 1045T isn't gonna be able to handle that either. As of current technology, you either need a server or the 980x. And I'm pretty normal.

Last edited by sunjae429 on Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
koi
Regular Poster
Regular Poster
koi

Mayhems New Toy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mayhems New Toy   Mayhems New Toy EmptyThu Oct 07, 2010 7:21 pm

That's how. <-- It's a link
Please take a moment to look on comparison charts.

I'm not saying 1045T won't handle something. I'm saying it will handle this something slower than another CPU with the same price.

I'd agree on this, but you won't get fair 6GB unless you're getting socket1366 based system (intel hi-end). And 2+2+1+1 setup is pretty odd.

Last edited by koi on Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down

Mayhems New Toy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mayhems New Toy   Mayhems New Toy EmptyThu Oct 07, 2010 7:26 pm

koi wrote:
That's how. <-- It's a link
Please take a moment to look on comparison charts.

I'm not saying 1045T won't handle something. I'm saying it will handle this something slower than another CPU with the same price.

I'd agree on this, but you won't get fair 6GB unless you're getting socket1366 based system (intel hi-end). And 2+2+1+1 setup is pretty odd.

Socket 1366 isn't the only high end. 1156 is too.
Back to top Go down
koi
Regular Poster
Regular Poster
koi

Mayhems New Toy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mayhems New Toy   Mayhems New Toy EmptyThu Oct 07, 2010 7:32 pm

Quote :
Try running multiple sessions of Visual Studio C#, C++, Basic at the same time while running Sibelius 6 and playing CB at the same time. That's how my laptop works everyday. I get bsods etc every 5 minutes, and the 1045T isn't gonna be able to handle that either. As of current technology, you either need a server or the 980x. And I'm pretty normal.
Massive amounts of RAM and virtualization would help you. And BSOD's are no good since they indicate somethig's really wrong with your PC.

I was speaking about triple channel memory, only 1366 CPUs are capable of supporting it.
1156 is not hi-end since you can't install top i7 CPUs; it also has some other restrictions.
Back to top Go down

Mayhems New Toy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mayhems New Toy   Mayhems New Toy EmptyThu Oct 07, 2010 7:38 pm

koi wrote:
Quote :
Massive amounts of RAM and virtualization would help you. And BSOD's are no good since they indicate somethig's really wrong with your PC.

I was speaking about triple channel memory, only 1366 CPUs are capable of supporting it.
1156 is not hi-end since you can't install top i7 CPUs; it also has some other restrictions.

I already am on 3gbs of ram, but can't stick anymore since I run 32-bit.
Virtualization... Meh I already have around 12 Gbs no help much
BSODs I get for a simple reason, my parents use my laptop too and my mum has a habit of smashing computers when they lag, not to mention my desktop broke because of that reason.
I agree that 1366 is the most high end. But, i5s and mid range i7s are considered high range too. (in nz at least because there are about 20 980xs available in this whole country, and other 900series i7s are very expensive and very rare. )
Back to top Go down
koi
Regular Poster
Regular Poster
koi

Mayhems New Toy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mayhems New Toy   Mayhems New Toy EmptyThu Oct 07, 2010 7:53 pm

Just install 64bit OS, it's easy as pie.
Under virtualization I mean using vmware/ms virtual pc or something like this. Move visual studio into virtual PC, run it only when you need, use "suspend" to start/stop virtual machines without closing any appilcations running there.
Back to top Go down

Mayhems New Toy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mayhems New Toy   Mayhems New Toy EmptyThu Oct 07, 2010 8:11 pm

koi wrote:
Just install 64bit OS, it's easy as pie.
Under virtualization I mean using vmware/ms virtual pc or something like this. Move visual studio into virtual PC, run it only when you need, use "suspend" to start/stop virtual machines without closing any appilcations running there.

Not that easy getting 64-bit. IM POOR DDDDDDD:

My virtual pc doesn't work well, since Microsoft didnt let me download it, meaning I used the XP version which worked, and I have a XP that is outdated by 8years, and due to that I can't install anything. Plus, I need to keep visual studio on at all times since I use it very very very often. Every loading screen I write 5-6 lines and I go back etc. Running virtual pc will just drag down my CPU and ram so therefore, I am not that happy with it. I'm currently nagging my parents for 64-bit XP but they won't let me no matter what D:
Back to top Go down
koi
Regular Poster
Regular Poster
koi

Mayhems New Toy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mayhems New Toy   Mayhems New Toy EmptyThu Oct 07, 2010 8:21 pm

Just install it if you need it >_<
Back to top Go down

Mayhems New Toy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mayhems New Toy   Mayhems New Toy EmptyThu Oct 07, 2010 8:45 pm

koi wrote:
Just install it if you need it >_<

Thinking of torrenting it lol
Back to top Go down

Mayhems New Toy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mayhems New Toy   Mayhems New Toy EmptyThu Oct 07, 2010 11:14 pm

Well that was a fun 4 hour power out... Oh America the great and powerless...

I don't remember ever saying this thing was the best thing ever that could play over 9000 copies of Crysis at once. The fact is, for the price is any of the stores that sold computers, it was the best deal. I play BC2 and a handful of other mid-high end games like EQ2, go on firebox, lol at internets, masterbate and then go to bed. That's what I consider normal and this thing does it just fine. As for the whole 4000 to 5000 series of Radeons... I know that older cards still outpower lower end newer cards. My point was they still sell all the cards of the 4000 series, even the lowest grade cards. Meaning listing all the 4000s and 5000s together, the card that this came with is decent. I already said it runs MOH which has not even come out yet, just fine with no frame lag while at the same time I run firefox and other shit.
Back to top Go down

Mayhems New Toy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mayhems New Toy   Mayhems New Toy EmptyThu Oct 07, 2010 11:22 pm

Mayhem wrote:
Well that was a fun 4 hour power out... Oh America the great and powerless...

I don't remember ever saying this thing was the best thing ever that could play over 9000 copies of Crysis at once. The fact is, for the price is any of the stores that sold computers, it was the best deal. I play BC2 and a handful of other mid-high end games like EQ2, go on firebox, lol at internets, masterbate and then go to bed. That's what I consider normal and this thing does it just fine. As for the whole 4000 to 5000 series of Radeons... I know that older cards still outpower lower end newer cards. My point was they still sell all the cards of the 4000 series, even the lowest grade cards. Meaning listing all the 4000s and 5000s together, the card that this came with is decent. I already said it runs MOH which has not even come out yet, just fine with no frame lag while at the same time I run firefox and other shit.

I wouldnt call a $1000 tower a good deal. If it were me I'd get a pretty shit and cheap tower and focus the money on the things inside.

The shop may have treated the 5570 like a high end since it may not even have a big variety. Theres a shop pm the way back from school, that had almost all graphic cards, even from those big outdated geforce8400s to Radeon 5970s. And frankly the 5570 is the cheapest 5000 series and is cheaper than most 4000 except for shit like 4350. But rather than cost, it's performance lacks greatly in comparison to the other stuff sold there. If I was on a tight budget I may have gone for a 5570 but since my desktop is currently on some random VIA/s3g unichrome pro integrated graphics and can't play cb even with updates I'm going for the cheapest one on sale, which is the geforce 7400.

One last thing, it normal for firefox not to lag on frames -_-;;;
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Mayhems New Toy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mayhems New Toy   Mayhems New Toy Empty

Back to top Go down

Mayhems New Toy
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next