Cosmic Break
Welcome! to the Unofficial Fan Forums Please read the rules as soon as you can. It will only take a few minutes of your time to do so. If you are not willing to read them, you might not be here for long! Enjoy your stay and don't get into trouble.

Click here for Forum Rules

Click here for Cosmic Break Guides

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Anime recommendations for my friend

Go down 
+12
Koiro
Aurum_Sol
Valkyrie
Winty
WiFi
Hyoka
God is a Cat Girl
Tuskin
Toilet-Flusher
Shai
fggt
Relict?
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Relict?
[Moderator]
[Moderator]
Relict?

Male Posts : 5786

Anime recommendations for my friend Empty
PostSubject: Anime recommendations for my friend   Anime recommendations for my friend EmptySat Dec 28, 2013 1:01 am

Hiii

Well, basically my friend is looking for "dark" anime.
She's more flexible when it comes to manga, though.

This is what I'm planning to recommend:

Spoiler:

If you glance at my list, you can see the problem: a lot of it is very mainstream and I don't actually have much to recommend. She has friends who already give her recommendations of that kind of stuff, I'm sure. I think she was told to watch Attack on Titan (she dropped it after a few volumes) and Free! (haha).

She really liked Psycho Pass (hence some of the urobutcher's shit) and this manga called Battle Royale.
Apparently she cried too much while watching Code Geass and stopped. She is very behind on Berserk. (I wish Berserk would update more).

Also, she likes science-fiction and her enjoyment hinges heavily on the art, it seems. In the list that I plan to send her, I mention that Madoka was animated by experimental SHAFT and to just give it a shot, etc. But yeah.

So, yeahhh, can you all please help me? I wish I had a more extensive pool of knowledge of the genre she's into.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited by Relict? on Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
fggt
Flat chests are JUSTICE!
fggt

Male Posts : 5770

PostSubject: Re: Anime recommendations for my friend   Anime recommendations for my friend EmptySat Dec 28, 2013 9:48 am

Higurashi?

I did cry a bit when watching Tasogare Otome x Amnesia too.
Back to top Go down
Shai
Legendary Poster
Legendary Poster
Shai

Female Posts : 4410

PostSubject: Re: Anime recommendations for my friend   Anime recommendations for my friend EmptySat Dec 28, 2013 10:30 am

Ergo Proxy.

''The world is bigger than you think...

After the explosion of the methane hydrate layer, the remaining members of mankind are forced to live in isolated domed cities scattered across the arid and inhospitable planet. They live in a controlled society and are assisted in daily life by autonomous robots called AutoReivs. In one of these cities, Romdo, Inspector Re-l Mayer, granddaughter of the regent, leads an investigation concerning AutoReivs that have gone mad after being infected by the Cogito virus. In the process, she comes in contact with a monster called Proxy. Elsewhere in the city, immigrant Vincent Law is on the run after being framed for involvement in several Cogito cases. Together, along with the adorable child-AutoReiv Pino, they set out on a journey to the dome city Moscow in order to unravel the mystery of the Proxies.''

It's not very popular and I quite often hear from others that they didn't understand a single thing about the anime. It's kind of mindrape-ish. I think it's a beautiful story though. Very unique, haven't seen anything that's like Ergo Proxy.

----

Shiki

''During a fiercely hot summer in Sotoba, a peaceful and quiet village with a population of 1300 people, a series of bizarre deaths begin to occur. At the same time, a strange family moves into a long abandoned mansion in the region. After supposedly visiting this strange family, the fashionable Shimizu Megumi goes missing and the entire village goes out in search for her.''

Some crazy shit happens in here, and I loved every moment of it. There are some sad moments but eh.. most darker anime have that.
Back to top Go down
Relict?
[Moderator]
[Moderator]
Relict?

PostSubject: Re: Anime recommendations for my friend   Anime recommendations for my friend EmptySat Dec 28, 2013 12:52 pm

Oh yeahhh, Higurashi. Maybe sea-cats, too. I liked both.

Ohhh, didn't know about Tasogare Otome x Amnesia

Also didn't know about Ergo Proxy.

Yesss, Shiki. She watched the Corpse Party OVA and found it gory but not that scary and I thought some of the scenes in Shiki fitted that description (never watched that OVA). But there were some scary scenes, too, and it touches upon human morality (⊃A⊂)

Thank you very much for the suggestions, tggt and Shai!

Now that I think about it, there's Fate/Zero, Shin Sekai Yori, Serial Experiments Lain, and Elfen Lied. But I'm not sure if I want her to get into the Fate series and I haven't finished Shin or Lain yet so I'm not sure if I should recommend.

Also, I'm going to edit OP to input some of her preferences that I just remembered.
Back to top Go down
Toilet-Flusher
Ace Poster
Ace Poster
Toilet-Flusher

Male Posts : 1045

PostSubject: Re: Anime recommendations for my friend   Anime recommendations for my friend EmptySat Dec 28, 2013 1:55 pm

go for Akame ga Kiru...superb manga, also I'm reading its prequel Akame ga Kiru Zero

about anime, hmmm how about Chaos:Head

or Denpa Teki na Kanojo (2 ovas)
Back to top Go down
Relict?
[Moderator]
[Moderator]
Relict?

PostSubject: Re: Anime recommendations for my friend   Anime recommendations for my friend EmptySat Dec 28, 2013 2:29 pm

Cool, another point to Akame.

Hmm I love Chaos;Head's opening but I never watched it. She hated Steins;Gate so I'm a bit hesitant.

Denpa Teki na Kanojo seems good.

Thank you, Tsubame666!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anime recommendations for my friend   Anime recommendations for my friend EmptySat Dec 28, 2013 3:40 pm

Relict? wrote:
This is what I'm planning to recommend:

Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica

Good Choice!
One of the most cutest and action-packed animes I've ever watched, though Sonic X and Strike Witches are still WAY better than it will ever be, but it's still third best on my list. Your friend will love it!

Although it doesn't make sense at times and there are a couple of wasted potential and disappointing moments, and not to mention how the Witches are all drawn in art styles remiscient of stuff like "The World of Gumball," "Blues Clues," "Betty Boop," "Chowder," and other shows like that, and due to those art styles it is hard to take it seriously, but other than that it is totally awesome and cute!!! Oh, and it has No Blood, No Swearing, No Sex, No Drugs, and No Nudity, just so you know.
Back to top Go down
Relict?
[Moderator]
[Moderator]
Relict?

PostSubject: Re: Anime recommendations for my friend   Anime recommendations for my friend EmptySat Dec 28, 2013 5:36 pm

Everything on the initial recommendation list are series of which I have seen a decent portion or series I have finished or series I am currently reading. But thank you for seconding Madoka, anyways.

My brother recommended Mousugu Shinu Hito.

Maybe Shoujo Gensou Necrophilia might be good. Same with Fukashigi Philia.

If she was into light novels, I would recommend Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria, maybe.

Thank you all for the recommendations and suggestions so far, everyone! Please continue helping if it isn't a burden to do so.
Back to top Go down
Tuskin
Do not charge RT
Tuskin

Male Posts : 2811

PostSubject: Re: Anime recommendations for my friend   Anime recommendations for my friend EmptySat Dec 28, 2013 5:47 pm

Madoka is shit
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anime recommendations for my friend   Anime recommendations for my friend EmptySat Dec 28, 2013 8:12 pm

Tuskin wrote:
Madoka is shit

Screw you, Tuskin.
Back to top Go down
God is a Cat Girl
Guinea Pig Wearing Sweater
Guinea Pig Wearing Sweater

PostSubject: Re: Anime recommendations for my friend   Anime recommendations for my friend EmptySat Dec 28, 2013 8:50 pm

Quote :
Yesss, Shiki. She watched the Corpse Party OVA and found it gory but not that scary and I thought some of the scenes in Shiki fitted that description (never watched that OVA). But there were some scary scenes, too, and it touches upon human morality (⊃A⊂)
I didn't watch Shiki's OVA, but the OVA should come after the TV anime as it didn't actually end.

And if she likes "dark" stuff, Meguca is pretty crappy for that, as it's not that "dark" as people say. It's more like, light grey. Eve Guilty Crown was more dark than Meguca, and it's not dark at all. At least they make some characters relevant enough to make their deaths take a toll on the viewer. Meguca relied on amikawaiiuguu and then had 5 seconds of character development, which was badly done, and then they die. And all Meguca deaths are just retarded.

Chaos;Head is crappy, Steins was actually good.

Now, if only we knew what she means with "dark". It could be something along of the lines of Death Note, or something just just more blood.

Well, Ga-Rei zero could do, and then she could just read the manga (the story of the anime is before the manga).

Jigoku Shoujo is pretty much a whole lot about the worst side of the human heart.

Black Buttler is your everyday dark and edgy teen animu.

People take "dark" so lightly that you can even squeeze Mirai Nikki in there.

Back to top Go down
Relict?
[Moderator]
[Moderator]
Relict?

PostSubject: Re: Anime recommendations for my friend   Anime recommendations for my friend EmptySat Dec 28, 2013 9:02 pm

Thanks, Sorrow.

Yeah, she was vague so nothing much to do about it.
Back to top Go down
Hyoka
Gaming Molcars
Gaming Molcars

PostSubject: Re: Anime recommendations for my friend   Anime recommendations for my friend EmptySat Dec 28, 2013 9:55 pm

Relict? wrote:

Uta kata

Not dark? See the shit that happens some 3-5 episodes in.
Back to top Go down
Relict?
[Moderator]
[Moderator]
Relict?

PostSubject: Re: Anime recommendations for my friend   Anime recommendations for my friend EmptySat Dec 28, 2013 9:58 pm

Hyoka wrote:
Relict? wrote:

Uta kata

Not dark? See the shit that happens some 3-5 episodes in.

Never watched it, but the pictures on google look deceptively cutesy. Makes me curious about what happens.

Thanks, Hyoka!
Back to top Go down
WiFi
Grand Poster
Grand Poster
WiFi

Female Posts : 3107

PostSubject: Re: Anime recommendations for my friend   Anime recommendations for my friend EmptySat Dec 28, 2013 11:21 pm

coughcough

Princess Resurrection?? Monster Princess?? Kaibutu Oujo~~

as for manga ... its already on the list
Back to top Go down
Relict?
[Moderator]
[Moderator]
Relict?

PostSubject: Re: Anime recommendations for my friend   Anime recommendations for my friend EmptySat Dec 28, 2013 11:29 pm

Oh, three more!

Thanks, W.IF!
Back to top Go down
Winty
God Poster
God Poster
Winty

PostSubject: Re: Anime recommendations for my friend   Anime recommendations for my friend EmptySat Dec 28, 2013 11:34 pm

how dark is dark?

jormungand if you want dead bodies and questional choices of protagonists

Mnemosyne if you want...if you want Mnemosyne.

Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse if you think the best way to start an anime is to introduce a bunch of characters in the first episode and then kill all but one of them in the second episode. I'm assuming this person hasn't read the original trilogy.

Robotics;Notes doesn't have a translated VN so I'd actually suggest watching the peasant anime for peasants if you want something of that. Fuck the S;G anime(even though I have heard many good things) and the C;H anime(I heard it was DOGSHIT)
Back to top Go down
Relict?
[Moderator]
[Moderator]
Relict?

PostSubject: Re: Anime recommendations for my friend   Anime recommendations for my friend EmptySat Dec 28, 2013 11:42 pm

Winty wrote:
how dark is dark?

She was very vague about it.

So I also didn't define the genre so there would be many kinds of recommendations. Just throw a lot of things and hope something sticks, I guess. It's like how pentagons play alpha bots in CBEN.

Yeahhh she's a total noob and doesn't know anything about visual novels. I would told her about Saya no Uta if that wasn't the case. So IDK about Muv-Luv Alternative for her.

I am not sure if Robotics;Note will be to her tastes since she absolutely hated Steins;Gate. I mean, she blamed the goofiness of the characters in S;G as being the reason why (and that it's slow) and R;N had some pretty odd goofballs, too.

Still, some more to add to the list.

Thank you, Winty!
Back to top Go down
Winty
God Poster
God Poster
Winty

PostSubject: Re: Anime recommendations for my friend   Anime recommendations for my friend EmptySat Dec 28, 2013 11:52 pm

MLATE can almost stand on it's own. Maybe it could if it had a better budget. If you like mechas and seeing characters die horrid deaths, it's certainly dark. Aside from the LOL HAPPY BEACH EPISODE bits that were total shit in general.

R;N is a lot more..standard, but like S;G it takes some time to get going. It's a more standard highschool setting and you have to put up with MODEL ROBOTS before you get to CREEPY AI GIRL and other strange things. Maybe it'll be too slow-paced and character focused? IDK

I'd certainly suggest Mnemosyne. It's creepy, it's dark, it's 2DEEP4ME. I should probably rewatch it sometime. It's also a miniseries so it's rather short compared to other things.

OH RIGHT, diamond reccomended me this thing that I downloaded...Aoi Bungaku. I watched the first episode, it seems to have a lot of promise of being dark. Also some strange shit. I got distracted with fighting games and never finished it, but you should consider it to be suggested.
Back to top Go down
Relict?
[Moderator]
[Moderator]
Relict?

PostSubject: Re: Anime recommendations for my friend   Anime recommendations for my friend EmptySun Dec 29, 2013 12:02 am

Ugh, the dreaded beach episode.

Hmmm, I liked R;N but IDK if she would. Might be too slow and too focused on characters for her, yeah.

Mnemosyne sounds excellent for her, then. She prefers shorter series.

Aoi Bungaku, huh? Another name I don't know. I want to see what it's about.

Really, thanks for helping me out.
Back to top Go down
Winty
God Poster
God Poster
Winty

PostSubject: Re: Anime recommendations for my friend   Anime recommendations for my friend EmptySun Dec 29, 2013 12:10 am

yeah it's 6 45 minute episodes.

Looking at my list of random gay japanese shit I've watched.
Um...There's guilty crown...that's a thing that was made, I remember, it was certainly dark. Kind of ridiculous and overdone but I think there's certainly some value in that.
Oh, there's C: The Money of Soul and Possibility Control if this person is up for ECONOMICS.
Btoom was terrible. It was dark, it was terrible, it had a neat idea and it could have gone somewhere but then it just ENDED randomly without actually sorting anything out. And they spent far too much time drawing that one girl's breasts. idk if it's something your friend would like.
Fate/Zero exists. Was that already mentioned? idk, lazy.
Back to top Go down
Relict?
[Moderator]
[Moderator]
Relict?

PostSubject: Re: Anime recommendations for my friend   Anime recommendations for my friend EmptySun Dec 29, 2013 12:22 am

Oh, cool. It is quite short.

I didn't like Guilty Crown. But I should give her options.

Oh, she's taking like 3 economics class this quarter LOL maybe this would be a good way for her to apply her studies.

Yikes, Btoom. Forget that. I don't think she'd be into that. From what you said, it reminds me of Highschool of the Dead.

Yeah, I considered recommending Fate/Zero. Should be good enough to stand on its own without knowing of the Fate series.
Back to top Go down
WiFi
Grand Poster
Grand Poster
WiFi

Female Posts : 3107

PostSubject: Re: Anime recommendations for my friend   Anime recommendations for my friend EmptySun Dec 29, 2013 12:54 am

UMMM

RELICT that's the same series I just gave you the possible titles

-w- many translations so...

sorry QwQ
Back to top Go down
Relict?
[Moderator]
[Moderator]
Relict?

PostSubject: Re: Anime recommendations for my friend   Anime recommendations for my friend EmptySun Dec 29, 2013 1:28 am

Wisdom.IF wrote:
UMMM

RELICT that's the same series I just gave you the possible titles

-w- many translations so...

sorry QwQ

OOHHHH fuck. I'm sorry ;_; Wow, the slopes of translation are deep.

Back to top Go down
Valkyrie
Molcars Wearing Sunglasses
Molcars Wearing Sunglasses

Male Posts : 2457

PostSubject: Re: Anime recommendations for my friend   Anime recommendations for my friend EmptySun Dec 29, 2013 2:00 am

I would reccommend Mahou shoujo of the end, but the mindfuck is so big I'm often wonderin what I just read.

You mentioned mahou shoujo Madoka. It made me think of the manga called mahou shoujo kazumi magica. The innocent malice.

Eh, Gantz has some sci-fi in it, but it might be too gore for her. Other than that she might like Cage of Eden.

I think Lenny might know some nice dark stuff though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anime recommendations for my friend   Anime recommendations for my friend Empty

Back to top Go down

Anime recommendations for my friend
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next