Cosmic Break
Welcome! to the Unofficial Fan Forums Please read the rules as soon as you can. It will only take a few minutes of your time to do so. If you are not willing to read them, you might not be here for long! Enjoy your stay and don't get into trouble.

Click here for Forum Rules

Click here for Cosmic Break Guides

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The CB Fan-forum itself.

Go down 
+11
Divayth
113Kyote
NovaZero
Dokuro
Daylyt
koi
Bloodbane
FenixStryk
zomb
Sean
Dwlr
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Dwlr
Dwlr

The CB Fan-forum itself. Empty
PostSubject: The CB Fan-forum itself.   The CB Fan-forum itself. EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 12:34 am

Not really about the game but there is no where else to put it.

I'd like to make the following comments aswell as suggestions.

1) Kill the random image generator
Reason: It'll bog down slower computers and it's prone to breaking. On the opinion IMO a forum tends to be more memorable if one can associate a relatively stable image with the site which would be the site banner and the logo. (Yes I know the CB logo appears on all of them least all of the I've seen.)

2) Actually do something with the banner.
Reason: It's just a render, a logo, and a guy claiming credit for basically no effort. Being somewhat of a GFX person myself IMO it's just lazy to use a render as for claiming credit blatently ON THE IMAGE it looks tacky. I can understand the latter with all the 'rippers' out there, but shouldn't it be more about making the site look 'good' than stroking the 'GFX person's' ego?

3) A suggestions area.
Reason: Convention is a big one, but I doubt everybody on this site finds it absolutely perfect in every single way, a suggestions board would allow for members to post what they think wouldbe possible improvements in which other members would be able to respond, discuss, and build upon. This would give a feel for popular opinion and might lead to some improvements the staff hasn't thought of.

4) Xat instead of forumotion default chat.
Reason: Xat is a bit more edittable than the default chat and can be coded to go where the current chat goes even. With Xat it acts like free advertisement by setting up a Xat Group which a more active chat would cause it to be 'featured' more often in which it'd appear as one of the chats on the Xat homepage and thus why it's free advertisement.

5) Not deleting posts that don't violate the rules. Rolling Eyes
Reason: Should be self-explainatory, but includes mod-coruption, frustration for the members who posts are being deleted, and ways to favor members of another which can cause unrest.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The CB Fan-forum itself.   The CB Fan-forum itself. EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 1:24 am

Dwlr wrote:

Reason: It'll bog down slower computers and it's prone to breaking. On the opinion IMO a forum tends to be more memorable if one can associate a relatively stable image with the site which would be the site banner and the logo. (Yes I know the CB logo appears on all of them least all of the I've seen.)

Reason: It's just a render, a logo, and a guy claiming credit for basically no effort. Being somewhat of a GFX person myself IMO it's just lazy to use a render as for claiming credit blatently ON THE IMAGE it looks tacky. I can understand the latter with all the 'rippers' out there, but shouldn't it be more about making the site look 'good' than stroking the 'GFX person's' ego?

3) A suggestions area.
Reason: Convention is a big one, but I doubt everybody on this site finds it absolutely perfect in every single way, a suggestions board would allow for members to post what they think wouldbe possible improvements in which other members would be able to respond, discuss, and build upon. This would give a feel for popular opinion and might lead to some improvements the staff hasn't thought of.

Reason: Xat is a bit more edittable than the default chat and can be coded to go where the current chat goes even. With Xat it acts like free advertisement by setting up a Xat Group which a more active chat would cause it to be 'featured' more often in which it'd appear as one of the chats on the Xat homepage and thus why it's free advertisement.

Reason: Should be self-explainatory, but includes mod-coruption, frustration for the members who posts are being deleted, and ways to favor members of another which can cause unrest.

1) I doubt it will slow anyone down for the image to randomly change every once in awhile when you come to the forums.

2) Sean needs reps and thanks for everything he does. This part I will agree with. Anyone with a moderate understanding of graphic program use can create said banner with ease. Putting the theme credit right up top with a shine is pretty tacky. Then again, not like anyone else who can do graphics work gave two shits about making a new theme for the forums.

3) A suggestion section has already been suggested a few times before. All it would really allow is for making suggestions about the actual forum and nothing about the game itself. I don't think Admin finds it important enough to put in.

4) We are linked directly from the official Cosmic Break home page as a replacement to an official forum. We don't need to advertise the forums when we are linked as the current forum for CB in the actual site.

5) There are only a few of us with said rights as mods. I'm pretty sure most of us understood our duties when we applied to become one. Then again, we are not official mods. Just mods for the fan forum and thus perfection from said mods should not be expected.
Back to top Go down
Dwlr
Dwlr

PostSubject: Re: The CB Fan-forum itself.   The CB Fan-forum itself. EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 10:55 am

Mayhem wrote:

1) I doubt it will slow anyone down for the image to randomly change every once in awhile when you come to the forums.

2) Sean needs reps and thanks for everything he does. This part I will agree with. Anyone with a moderate understanding of graphic program use can create said banner with ease. Putting the theme credit right up top with a shine is pretty tacky. Then again, not like anyone else who can do graphics work gave two shits about making a new theme for the forums.

3) A suggestion section has already been suggested a few times before. All it would really allow is for making suggestions about the actual forum and nothing about the game itself. I don't think Admin finds it important enough to put in.

4) We are linked directly from the official Cosmic Break home page as a replacement to an official forum. We don't need to advertise the forums when we are linked as the current forum for CB in the actual site.

5) There are only a few of us with said rights as mods. I'm pretty sure most of us understood our duties when we applied to become one. Then again, we are not official mods. Just mods for the fan forum and thus perfection from said mods should not be expected.

1) Actually it will, it'll just be to the point of being a minor inconvenience though IMO it's still worth mentioning since it's a very very simple fix.

2) If Sean doesn't want to make an attempt, I'd be willing to try if specs can be provided.

3) If it's already been suggested then I suppose it's case of que sera sera.

4) I know you're linked from the official Cosmic Break home page and thus that gets you members that are already members of Cosmic Break, so no there isn't a NEED to, but advertising the fan forum and re-directing them to the game wouldn't that be good for both Cosmic Break and this forum? Even if you don't want to register to be a group the Xat chat is less temperamental as a self-contained chat as well.

5) I've already ran into the issue with Sean who commented about how .gifs lose quality due to how they're compressed and offered the solution to use animated pngs. Surely that didn't violate the rules in anyway so what was the point in removing it other than making Sean look like there's nothing he could do about the lossy gif format?
Back to top Go down
Sean
Adept Poster
Adept Poster
Sean

Male Posts : 966

PostSubject: Re: The CB Fan-forum itself.   The CB Fan-forum itself. EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 12:11 pm

Dwlr wrote:

3) A suggestions area.

1. I told you when we were in the chat that once I get a good official image I would change it to one single image and it will stay that way. I'm going to change it on Saturday.

2. What do you mean "Actually do something with the banner"? I wanted to keep it simple so it will fit with the theme. And I'm not claiming that the render image or the logo image is mine. I'm just claiming the effort and the fact that I made the theme. Yes, someone can make a theme and not own the images that are in it. And I put "Theme by Sean24" in the banner because I couldn't put it anywhere else. And it is normal for theme makers to put that int he banner so they can get credit for their work.
And what do you mean I didn't make an attempt? I spend my own time and effort to make a theme for this forum and everyone but you is happy with the way it looks.

3. I guess it could help but ultimately it's up to Admin.

4. I agree with Mayhem on this. I've never seen anyone search XAT for a game chat to then go and play the game.

5. Yes, that is understandable. And I delete those posts because I thought it was unneeded since I went back to the first post and took out the part I put in the parentheses. And I even delete my own post about it. So if you're worried about your post count, you would be the only one that is.
Back to top Go down
http://xlythe.com
zomb
Newcomer
Newcomer
zomb

PostSubject: Re: The CB Fan-forum itself.   The CB Fan-forum itself. EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 4:03 pm

I'm mostly just going to comment about Xat because both of you pushed is off as if you just didn't want to bother with it more than actually having a reason. The chat you have at the top of the page well to put it simple its just bad although a stronger word would be much more appropriate. Xat chats get a lot of random activity on them because they show up on the Xat main page (when your chat is active), you don't even have to be searching for them to find them so you'll get people who are curious or just trying to find a place to chat, they'll hear about the game and forum and maybe join without even thinking about looking for a specific chat in the first place. Its a lot more user friendly IMO and easier to read (if you pick a decent background) than the current one you have (mostly I'm talking about people's names that are in light colors on the chat). Even if you still don't think it would be good for advertising or whatever its still a better chat.

As for posts they really shouldn't be deleted unless they violate a rule. If you delete posts even after they serve no new purpose you might get people talking about the same stuff again. You might have removed the comment that originally led to the post but its still a record of what has happened on the forum and should be left for that purpose. You can make a note that you removed the part in your first post but other posts still serve some relevance because then people can tell whats going on.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The CB Fan-forum itself.   The CB Fan-forum itself. EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 4:10 pm

Sean24 wrote:
5. Yes, that is understandable. And I delete those posts because I thought it was unneeded since I went back to the first post and took out the part I put in the parentheses. And I even delete my own post about it.

In all honestly posts should just be locked. Just having them vanish without warning freaks people out. Also as stated above, you also get people talking about the same thing over again when the previous conversation is non-existent.
Back to top Go down
FenixStryk
Regular Poster
Regular Poster
FenixStryk

Male Posts : 382

PostSubject: Re: The CB Fan-forum itself.   The CB Fan-forum itself. EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 4:13 pm

A bit of an aside, but when you do make the new banner, could you make it a bit shorter? As it is now, the homepage consists entirely of the banner and the chatroom; we really shouldn't have to be scrolling so much just to see the Forum list.

As for the chatroom, it would be nice if it were just a link to the IRC channel, and perhaps a link to a web-based client somewhere on the side for those without mIRC and the like. It seems senseless to support two separate channels, and the IRC sees far more traffic than the chatroom here.

To me, having both an unusually large banner and a chatroom built into the home page seems a bit too cluttered compared to other forums.
Back to top Go down
Sean
Adept Poster
Adept Poster
Sean

PostSubject: Re: The CB Fan-forum itself.   The CB Fan-forum itself. EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 4:17 pm

zomb wrote:
I'm mostly just going to comment about Xat because both of you pushed is off as if you just didn't want to bother with it more than actually having a reason. The chat you have at the top of the page well to put it simple its just bad although a stronger word would be much more appropriate. Xat chats get a lot of random activity on them because they show up on the Xat main page (when your chat is active), you don't even have to be searching for them to find them so you'll get people who are curious or just trying to find a place to chat, they'll hear about the game and forum and maybe join without even thinking about looking for a specific chat in the first place. Its a lot more user friendly IMO and easier to read (if you pick a decent background) than the current one you have (mostly I'm talking about people's names that are in light colors on the chat). Even if you still don't think it would be good for advertising or whatever its still a better chat.

The part in red there is the problem. You DO get a lot of random people coming in. This is a problem because you could just get random spammers or people who just come in and advertise some other game or something. Which the chatbox that we have no you have to actually sign up for the forum and most people won't do that if they are just trying to advertise something quickly.
Back to top Go down
Bloodbane

PostSubject: Re: The CB Fan-forum itself.   The CB Fan-forum itself. EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 4:42 pm

Sean24 wrote:
zomb wrote:

The part in red there is the problem. You DO get a lot of random people coming in. This is a problem because you could just get random spammers or people who just come in and advertise some other game or something. Which the chatbox that we have no you have to actually sign up for the forum and most people won't do that if they are just trying to advertise something quickly.

These are my thoughts exactly. I've been to sites that use xat for their chats, and what tends to happen is just what Sean said; random people that aren't there for the site which the chat's for. Me personally? I'd be cool with an IRC chat, and then you could just link to mibbit for people that don't have IRC, which is nice because I tend to get disconnected from the forum chat often, namely when I'm playing Cosmic Break or some other game.
Back to top Go down
Sean
Adept Poster
Adept Poster
Sean

PostSubject: Re: The CB Fan-forum itself.   The CB Fan-forum itself. EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 4:45 pm

Bloodbane wrote:
Sean24 wrote:
zomb wrote:

These are my thoughts exactly. I've been to sites that use xat for their chats, and what tends to happen is just what Sean said; random people that aren't there for the site which the chat's for. Me personally? I'd be cool with an IRC chat, and then you could just link to mibbit for people that don't have IRC, which is nice because I tend to get disconnected from the forum chat often, namely when I'm playing Cosmic Break or some other game.

We have a IRC that is online.
http://wbe01.mibbit.com/?settings=dd00223a16d9688fdfd25ca236918d51&server=irc.rizon.net&channel=%23Cosmicbreak
Back to top Go down
koi
Regular Poster
Regular Poster
koi

Female Posts : 388

PostSubject: Re: The CB Fan-forum itself.   The CB Fan-forum itself. EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 4:52 pm

Well, regarding the banner - you should really do something about it. Compress it or make a static gallery, so every single page won't consume extra 230k. Just a common sense...

Chat - I don't use it anyway, IRC is way better.
But if you want to save some space, start from banning 600px signatures, lol.
Back to top Go down
Sean
Adept Poster
Adept Poster
Sean

PostSubject: Re: The CB Fan-forum itself.   The CB Fan-forum itself. EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 5:07 pm

koi wrote:
Well, regarding the banner - you should really do something about it. Compress it or make a static gallery, so every single page won't consume extra 230k. Just a common sense...

Chat - I don't use it anyway, IRC is way better.
But if you want to save some space, start from banning 600px signatures, lol.

It doesn't really take that long to load but I'm going to make one static image once I get comformation on something. (I kinda said this already in a earlier post. Maybe it wasn't clear enough. =O)

And as for big signatures such as my Hanamaru Kindergarten one, that doesn't make much of a different at all. It instantly loads as does every other signature on the page. My signature of Hanamaru Kindergarten is only 256.09KB. Not that much at all.
Back to top Go down
Daylyt
Regular Poster
Regular Poster
Daylyt

Female Posts : 212
Location : Enjoying the air on Yenka Summit. (The air there is wildly addicting...)

PostSubject: Re: The CB Fan-forum itself.   The CB Fan-forum itself. EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 6:00 pm

alright~ i'm throwing my 2 cents in~

(idc if ur like "u dont know what ur talking about. get out of the thread." The answer is No. I'm posting anyway. dont like it? skip the post.)

alright, from reading what i read,

- the logo and chat box feel like they are in a great place. when the page loads it kinda gives off a "welcome to the CB-FMF. Yup, ur in the right place."

i love that the pic changes every time the page is changed or refresh'd. it makes ppl go like "hey whatz gonna be the next pic?" even when they see all of them and imho gives ppl a quick smile when they see a preffer'd char pop up as the char in the banner.

keeping it simply one image will dry out the feel of the place. EVERYONE will get tired of seeing the SAME pic EVERYDAY. and most importantly the simplicity is the greatest part about it. itz not some big flashing GIF or some weird banner that looks out of place.

(i have no real con's about this. so skip this.)

So what u gotta scroll a bit? u pretty much have to do it in almost every other page ON THE INTERNET.

hate grabbing the scrollbar? get a mouse with a mouse wheel. problem solved.

- idk wtf XAT, IRC, mibble or any of that other stuff is, but sean mentions a REALLY good point. ppl that didnt sign up to the forum shouldnt have a right to come and chat in our chat boxes~

if ppl are looking for a great game to place. Go to Google. Not a chat room. Chat rooms are WAY too opinioated for that kinda stuff~ (spammers and advertisers, i wont even get into, but u know the deal with them. Thatz just a NO for this place.)

Imagine if random ppl could just come onto the forum and post as a guest. this place'll end up worse than 4chan with spam and whatnot. make everyone register and the ppl who are serious about finding a game to play will use their own means~

yes, the chat is rather laggy and could use some work. but at least itz a member only chat box. if u could find another member only chat box, then go for it. but dont allow simply ANYONE to just post in our chatbox. Are u kidding me?

another plus about the chat box is that itz easy to get to when u log in. Itz right at the top.

itz great for those who dont wanna post a useless thread or search for an old one that answer'd a question they're wondering about. u log in, and u jump into the room, get answer'd and ur on ur way. Simple. Easy. Fast.

if u really just cant see urself using the chatbox... dont.

- signatures~

they seem fine to me~ however, i dont think that ppl need to really be regulated on some stuff like that~ keep it clean and be conscious about the size of it~

i mean srsly, thatz not hard to do~ and after u put it up, u get to preview it~ if itz too big, fix it right away. Some ppl really need to do this.

i've seen one sig that looks like this. (idk who it is, but i'm posting it up bcuz itz bugging me)

------------------------------------------------------

( HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE empty space here ) (small pic here)

fix that. that messes with the page and just looks horrid. idk why u put so much empty space there. (and i didnt exaggerate on the spacing.)

but yah, take judgment about ur own sigs. if the sizing is a bit weird, then i can understand a mod stepping in and fixing it.

- suggestion section

great idea. nothing bad to say about that.

- mods deleting posts

i feel that they shouldnt be removed, but edited instead and that the mod states in the post why it was removed via edit~ no one gets mad in the end, the person duznt lose their post count and etc.

if the person is just spamming posts, delete them or send the user a warning. too many warnings? ban.

- things not loading~

might wanna cut some programs u have running. everything seems to load fine/fast for me.

just simply keep HUGE pics/gifs from being upload'd on a page unless placed in a spoiler. this way if someone wants to see it, they can click on it and see it and i believe it wont cut into ur loading times.

but in the end, i do believe that loading speeds fall on the readers end. not the staff. Everything on this forum is so simplistic. how are u having a tough time loading text, DPs and sigs? start asking questions there about ur comp, reader.

- As i said, this is just my opinion as person reading this from the sidelines. i'm completely neutral about and am NOT taking any sides. personally, i think this thread should be closed and discuss'd with mods on something like MSN or the Chat box or IRC.

bcuz no offense, dwlr. i stated this to others about this thread.

the fact that u came out and outright start'd bashing the forum isnt right. If u dont like it, leave or make ur own forum if u feel that u really cant take whatz going on here. u insited (did i spell that right?) this and i feel that u made an immature decision by starting this.

YOU are NOT the forum. YOU are NOT staff. They get the FINAL say. u dont. i mean, yah. there might be somethings i dont like about the FMF, but suggest if u may. dont bash. (and yes. u bash'd idc if u deny it. but u did.)

- if i forgot anything, i'll post it later.
Back to top Go down
http://herofactory.forumtl.com/
koi
Regular Poster
Regular Poster
koi

Female Posts : 388

PostSubject: Re: The CB Fan-forum itself.   The CB Fan-forum itself. EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 6:13 pm

In terms of website optimization you don't want extra 250k to be loaded every single time you open a page. You should save the bandwidth for both server and customer.

Signature size is not much of a problem, as they are loaded once (while a page containing 5Mb worth of signatures is kinda... wrong). What really matters is its dimensions (especially height). You don't want to scroll a whole screen just to skip someone's sig.

But ok, i realize that most of users will disagree with me, no one wants to lose a precious signature just cause some dude may be experiencing troubles.
Back to top Go down
FenixStryk
Regular Poster
Regular Poster
FenixStryk

Male Posts : 382

PostSubject: Re: The CB Fan-forum itself.   The CB Fan-forum itself. EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 6:26 pm

The key here is accessibility and ease of use. A banner that refreshes every time is only extra stress on the server and on low-bandwidth users, and a chatbox obscuring the forum list is hardly easy to use; you could confuse the forum for a chatroom and never know the forum was attached below.

As for the signature qualm, persons using the [CENTER} and [RIGHT} tags will not be stretching the screen. It's merely a shift; no different than that in a word processor.
Not a big deal in my eyes.
Back to top Go down
Sean
Adept Poster
Adept Poster
Sean

PostSubject: Re: The CB Fan-forum itself.   The CB Fan-forum itself. EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 6:28 pm

Daylyt wrote:
- signatures~

they seem fine to me~ however, i dont think that ppl need to really be regulated on some stuff like that~ keep it clean and be conscious about the size of it~

i mean srsly, thatz not hard to do~ and after u put it up, u get to preview it~ if itz too big, fix it right away. Some ppl really need to do this.

i've seen one sig that looks like this. (idk who it is, but i'm posting it up bcuz itz bugging me)

( HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE empty space here ) (small pic here)

fix that. that messes with the page and just looks horrid. idk why u put so much empty space there. (and i didnt exaggerate on the spacing.)

but yah, take judgment about ur own sigs. if the sizing is a bit weird, then i can understand a mod stepping in and fixing it.

The reason for that huge space is because he aligned his picture to the right side. Just like I have mine center aligned. There is not a lot of little tiny spaces. It's just right aligned. And doing that doesn't mess with the width of the forum at all.
Back to top Go down
Daylyt
Regular Poster
Regular Poster
Daylyt

Female Posts : 212
Location : Enjoying the air on Yenka Summit. (The air there is wildly addicting...)

PostSubject: Re: The CB Fan-forum itself.   The CB Fan-forum itself. EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 6:30 pm

i'm not gonna sit here and quote me and u over this~

like i said, i'm reading it from the sidelines. i'm posting my opinion, and idk much about comps/web stuff. i dont care. all that bandwith stuff is going in one ear and... out the other. simply bcuz it was never important to begin with to me. Begin the rant if u want, but know the end result about it. idc.

Next

i also stated that dimensions are an issue. but in the end thatz left up to the sig poster and mod. if the sig is too big or long, a warning should be given and if left unattend'd, then the mod should mod it and post why itz been mod'd~

if itz so "precious" fix it. if u dont fix it, then it means u dont give a damn about it to begin with.

@sean

it stretchs the page for me like really badly. idk why. but yah, should it be align'd to the left? or center?
Back to top Go down
http://herofactory.forumtl.com/
Sean
Adept Poster
Adept Poster
Sean

PostSubject: Re: The CB Fan-forum itself.   The CB Fan-forum itself. EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 6:40 pm

Daylyt wrote:
@sean

it stretchs the page for me like really badly. idk why. but yah, should it be align'd to the left? or center?

If it's a big image then yea it will stretch the forums. (I just now relaized that people with smaller screens will get the forum stretched from my sig and I will fix it.) But if it's a small image and it's just right aligned then it shouldn't do anything to the size of the forum.

I just removed my big sig image and now if you look at this image here...
The CB Fan-forum itself. Betaplayertagscyberstep
it is right aligned. If you're looking at this post right now and the width is still messed up please tell me.
Back to top Go down
Dwlr
Dwlr

PostSubject: Re: The CB Fan-forum itself.   The CB Fan-forum itself. EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 8:50 pm

The comments kind of shoot down the whole "everybody but me is happy with the banner" comment you thought was obligatory to post in an effort to what? Blow your own horn? Probably.

I'm saying claiming credit for something that anybody with any sort of GFX knowledge can do in about 15-20 minutes is tacky and the credit you have for everybody to see is just an attempt to make yourself feel good or seem more important than you actually are. Case and point you don't need a big tacky looking neon saying "Oh look what I did" when it not only detracts from the image, but the image you're claiming isn't even anything special. You can just as easily settle your unnecessary ego needs in a thread on the topic saying "I did ....." and be done with it without affecting the aesthetic quality of the site, of course you have a title saying you're a member of the "GFX Team" which by definition means you worked on the images. Plain and simple you really need to get over yourself first and think about how the final product looks and whether it's necessary to claim credit for something or not.

Simple rule of thumb:
Site Banner - No, unless somebody asks especially when you have a GFX title on a forum.
Userbars - Optional, have then put "Credit goes to ....." if you really must.
Sigs - Usually, again have them put "Credit goes to ....." if you must, but some people even ask for some sort of hidden watermark on the image itself which you can settle your ego trip in.

I know I mentioned that XAT can be made as a standalone chat box which seems to be what y'all are focusing on that random activity will apparently destroy the world if you get one. If you choose not to make it a Xat group then it won't be discoverable from the xat format but rather just from the forum. Xat is simply a better chat box than the default one.

Also just because you think something isn't necessary that means you can decide to remove it eh? Alright then, why discuss other games on a CB Forum it's not necessary, why discuss anime, why discuss anything except the game? Deleting posts simply because you deem them unneeded is basically the verbatim the definition of mod corruption. Also don't put words in my mouth I mentioned nothing at all about post count so why would you assume I cared about post count? Seems more like an avoidance of the real reason its an issue than an attempt at a counter arguement. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Dokuro
Newcomer
Newcomer
Dokuro

Female Posts : 12

PostSubject: Re: The CB Fan-forum itself.   The CB Fan-forum itself. EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 9:04 pm

I doubt random people will be able to find the chat if you don't make a xat group for it. Even then you could make the chat members-only. The default chat for this forum is kinda ugly imo. I also think the banner should be a bit smaller.
Back to top Go down
Sean
Adept Poster
Adept Poster
Sean

PostSubject: Re: The CB Fan-forum itself.   The CB Fan-forum itself. EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 9:07 pm

Dwlr wrote:
The comments kind of shoot down the whole "everybody but me is happy with the banner" comment you thought was obligatory to post in an effort to what? Blow your own horn? Probably.

I'm saying claiming credit for something that anybody with any sort of GFX knowledge can do in about 15-20 minutes is tacky and the credit you have for everybody to see is just an attempt to make yourself feel good or seem more important than you actually are. Case and point you don't need a big tacky looking neon saying "Oh look what I did" when it not only detracts from the image, but the image you're claiming isn't even anything special. You can just as easily settle your unnecessary ego needs in a thread on the topic saying "I did ....." and be done with it without affecting the aesthetic quality of the site, of course you have a title saying you're a member of the "GFX Team" which by definition means you worked on the images. Plain and simple you really need to get over yourself first and think about how the final product looks and whether it's necessary to claim credit for something or not.

Simple rule of thumb:
Site Banner - No, unless somebody asks especially when you have a GFX title on a forum.
Sigs - Usually, again have them put "Credit goes to ....." if you must, but some people even ask for some sort of hidden watermark on the image itself which you can settle your ego trip in.

I know I mentioned that XAT can be made as a standalone chat box which seems to be what y'all are focusing on that random activity will apparently destroy the world if you get one. If you choose not to make it a Xat group then it won't be discoverable from the xat format but rather just from the forum. Xat is simply a better chat box than the default one.

Also just because you think something isn't necessary that means you can decide to remove it eh? Alright then, why discuss other games on a CB Forum it's not necessary, why discuss anime, why discuss anything except the game? Deleting posts simply because you deem them unneeded is basically the verbatim the definition of mod corruption. Also don't put words in my mouth I mentioned nothing at all about post count so why would you assume I cared about post count? Seems more like an avoidance of the real reason its an issue than an attempt at a counter arguement. Rolling Eyes

If you would look at some of the themes made by people for Forumotion you would see that they credit them selfs in the banner. So why shouldn't I? And it's not like it sticks out a whole like. And it's not neon, I used the same gradient overlay as I did for the "Fan Forum". I would of put "Theme by Sean24" at the very bottom of the forum in just some plain text but I couldn't figure out how. I don't even think you can with Forumotion. (I know you can with something like Invision or ZetaBoards.)

I made this forum theme because what we had before was just black and boring. I wanted it to look like the official site and that's what I did. I didn't do it for glory.
Back to top Go down
NovaZero
Grand Poster
Grand Poster
NovaZero

Male Posts : 3141
Location : Bouncing on one of the Hurricane Arrows at Angel Academy

PostSubject: Re: The CB Fan-forum itself.   The CB Fan-forum itself. EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 9:15 pm

Dwlr wrote:
They did put up different forums in this site just for that.
Back to top Go down
Dwlr
Dwlr

PostSubject: Re: The CB Fan-forum itself.   The CB Fan-forum itself. EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 9:26 pm

Sean24 wrote:
Dwlr wrote:

Simple rule of thumb:

If you would look at some of the themes made by people for Forumotion you would see that they credit them selfs in the banner. So why shouldn't I? And it's not like it sticks out a whole like. And it's not neon, I used the same gradient overlay as I did for the "Fan Forum". I would of put "Theme by Sean24" at the very bottom of the forum in just some plain text but I couldn't figure out how. I don't even think you can with Forumotion. (I know you can with something like Invision or ZetaBoards.)

I made this forum theme because what we had before was just black and boring. I wanted it to look like the official site and that's what I did. I didn't do it for glory.
So what you're saying is that if everybody jumped off a cliff you would to? That's good to know. Rolling Eyes You shouldn't because it's tacky, I've made banners for 7 different forumotion sites and not a one has some hideous "I have low self-esteem" mark on it. It does stick out, also wow just wow. I'm really fighting the urge to call you an idiot for thinking I meant it was literally neon. Rolling Eyes I don't care how you did it, but if I were to say I'd say the gradient you used was the steel gradient in the metallic subset on a clipping mask over rasterized text, yea I'm not impressed. Your title should be all the credit you need but if you think you're all so fired important that you need to keep credit you create a text based widget in the admin panel and place it below the forum on the structure map so yea you can do it if you knew anything about forumotion which I won't fault you for ignorance on that one.

If you didn't do it for the glory then let the theme stand without a giant stamp on it, you're trying to act like it was a self-less act but claiming credit like you are negates it and makes it for the "glory" as you put. Rolling Eyes

@NovaZero Re-read your post and the post you quoted and tell me why it's not even worth a response, however I will just to be 'nice'. The "Almighty Sean" decided that it's his sole decision as the omnipotent power to decide the content of every post on the forum, he deleted posts deeming them as unnecessary the 'extra' sections aren't necessary to a CB forum so I was asking the 'Almighty Sean' why he decided to let them stand when they have no prevalence to Cosmic Break. *Read before you respond. Rolling Eyes *
Back to top Go down
NovaZero
Grand Poster
Grand Poster
NovaZero

Male Posts : 3141
Location : Bouncing on one of the Hurricane Arrows at Angel Academy

PostSubject: Re: The CB Fan-forum itself.   The CB Fan-forum itself. EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 9:34 pm

Dwlr wrote:
@NovaZero Re-read your post and the post you quoted and tell me why it's not even worth a response, however I will just to be 'nice'. The "Almighty Sean" decided that it's his sole decision as the omnipotent power to decide the content of every post on the forum, he deleted posts deeming them as unnecessary the 'extra' sections aren't necessary to a CB forum so I was asking the 'Almighty Sean' why he decided to let them stand when they have no prevalence to Cosmic Break. *Read before you respond. Rolling Eyes *
Aren't you extra pissy about this issue. But fine, I'll refuse to comment further.
Back to top Go down
113Kyote
Regular Poster
Regular Poster
113Kyote

Male Posts : 176

PostSubject: Re: The CB Fan-forum itself.   The CB Fan-forum itself. EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 9:37 pm

Dwlr wrote:
Sean24 wrote:
Dwlr wrote:

Simple rule of thumb:

So what you're saying is that if everybody jumped off a cliff you would to? That's good to know. Rolling Eyes You shouldn't because it's tacky, I've made banners for 7 different forumotion sites and not a one has some hideous "I have low self-esteem" mark on it. It does stick out, also wow just wow. I'm really fighting the urge to call you an idiot for thinking I meant it was literally neon. Rolling Eyes I don't care how you did it, but if I were to say I'd say the gradient you used was the steel gradient in the metallic subset on a clipping mask over rasterized text, yea I'm not impressed. Your title should be all the credit you need but if you think you're all so fired important that you need to keep credit you create a text based widget in the admin panel and place it below the forum on the structure map so yea you can do it if you knew anything about forumotion which I won't fault you for ignorance on that one.

If you didn't do it for the glory then let the theme stand without a giant stamp on it, you're trying to act like it was a self-less act but claiming credit like you are negates it and makes it for the "glory" as you put. Rolling Eyes

"If you didn't do it for the glory then let the theme stand without a giant stamp on it" -_- "I'm really fighting the urge to call you an idiot" Took the words right from my mouth. I mean "giant stamp" compared to the picture it's tiny! and really what do you have against someone takeing credit for something they took time out of their hands to make? even if it didn't take that much work would you rather have had Sean not make the theme and have the fan forum remain dull and boring? Seriously whats the point in arguing about something thats not even that big of a deal!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The CB Fan-forum itself.   The CB Fan-forum itself. Empty

Back to top Go down

The CB Fan-forum itself.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next