Cosmic Break
Welcome! to the Unofficial Fan Forums Please read the rules as soon as you can. It will only take a few minutes of your time to do so. If you are not willing to read them, you might not be here for long! Enjoy your stay and don't get into trouble.

Click here for Forum Rules

Click here for Cosmic Break Guides

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

[Program] For those who still cannot connect to patch server

Go down 
+3
GreyFalcon
Sayuri Chan
Wo1f
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Wo1f
Newcomer
Newcomer
Wo1f

[Program] For those who still cannot connect to patch server Empty
PostSubject: [Program] For those who still cannot connect to patch server   [Program] For those who still cannot connect to patch server EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 1:29 am

I made a program which patches the hosts file itself. Just start it, if you have Vista or Windows 7 then usually the program will ask for administrative access. After using this program to patch the hosts file you can delete it.
Here is a picture of it:

This program requires the .Net Framework 2.0 or higher. Vista and Windows 7 both come with 2.0+ and usually Windows XP has it as well (it comes in optional windows updates, sometimes it is done automatically).

If you do not have .Net Framework 2.0 you can download it here:

Download .Net Framework 2.0 32 bit
Download .Net Framework 2.0 64 bit

Direct Download Mirror 32 bit
Direct Download Mirror 64 bit

Screenshot:
[Program] For those who still cannot connect to patch server CBPX

EDIT: The program has been fixed to still patch through the read only file attribute some anti viruses will put on the Hosts file.

Download Link

Virus Scan Link

Last edited by Wo1f on Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:04 am; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
Sayuri Chan
Adept Poster
Adept Poster
Sayuri Chan

Male Posts : 614

PostSubject: Re: [Program] For those who still cannot connect to patch server   [Program] For those who still cannot connect to patch server EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 1:42 am

im so trying this, *hope it works*
Back to top Go down
GreyFalcon
Adept Poster
Adept Poster
GreyFalcon

Male Posts : 540

PostSubject: Re: [Program] For those who still cannot connect to patch server   [Program] For those who still cannot connect to patch server EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 3:21 am

Thanks
This program works just fine
Back to top Go down
Sayuri Chan
Adept Poster
Adept Poster
Sayuri Chan

Male Posts : 614

PostSubject: Re: [Program] For those who still cannot connect to patch server   [Program] For those who still cannot connect to patch server EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 10:32 am

it dont work =(

it says it cant patch it cause the acess to said file (host ) is denied
Back to top Go down
GreyFalcon
Adept Poster
Adept Poster
GreyFalcon

PostSubject: Re: [Program] For those who still cannot connect to patch server   [Program] For those who still cannot connect to patch server EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 12:56 pm

Wonder if there is an INI file you can change which you could change the Patch server to that IP address
Back to top Go down
Skoczypies
Regular Poster
Regular Poster
Skoczypies

PostSubject: Re: [Program] For those who still cannot connect to patch server   [Program] For those who still cannot connect to patch server EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 1:29 pm

Sayuri it means yer not admin...

Grey, it is. here.

I just summ it like this:

Go to yer documents and copy there this thing

Quote :
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

In etc folder click right mouse button hosts file and use notepad to edit it.

Add this at end of file

Quote :
211.43.152.155 patch.cosmicbreak.com
Back to top Go down
Wo1f
Newcomer
Newcomer
Wo1f

PostSubject: Re: [Program] For those who still cannot connect to patch server   [Program] For those who still cannot connect to patch server EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 2:05 pm

Sayuri Chan wrote:
it dont work =(

Try right clicking the program then clicking "Run as Administrator". This was tested on Windows 7 64 bit with and without UAC and on windows XP so that is very odd that it does not work.

Can you tell me which version of Windows you have, the bit size(32 or 64) and if you enabled windows updates if it still doesn't work after running as administrator?
Back to top Go down
Toshiie
Newcomer
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: [Program] For those who still cannot connect to patch server   [Program] For those who still cannot connect to patch server EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 5:04 pm

The program did not work for me. Access denied even after ran as administrator. Windows 7. 64 bit. UAC disabled. Completely up to date. Admin account. Ran as administrator.
Back to top Go down
Wo1f
Newcomer
Newcomer
Wo1f

PostSubject: Re: [Program] For those who still cannot connect to patch server   [Program] For those who still cannot connect to patch server EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 7:21 pm

Toshiie wrote:
The program did not work for me. Access denied even after ran as administrator. Windows 7. 64 bit. UAC disabled. Completely up to date. Admin account. Ran as administrator.

Restart your computer and try again, something is most likely "using" the file.

If that still does not work then try this:

Run Command Prompt as administrator and type
Code:
net user <Account Name Here> /active
Then press Y to confirm.

Example
Code:
net user Wo1f /active

This will make you the global administrator in windows 7. By default, administrator is more of a power user than a real administrator. This command makes your account the REAL administrator like how windows XP does it. I doubt this is the problem since I tested it using a virtual machine running windows 7 and UAC enabled without the global administrator tweak but just in case.
Back to top Go down
Toshiie
Newcomer
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: [Program] For those who still cannot connect to patch server   [Program] For those who still cannot connect to patch server EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 7:55 pm

Wo1f wrote:
Toshiie wrote:

Restart your computer and try again, something is most likely "using" the file.

If that still does not work then try this:

Run Command Prompt as administrator and type
Code:
net user <Account Name Here> /active
Then press Y to confirm.

Example
Code:
net user Wo1f /active

This will make you the global administrator in windows 7. By default, administrator is more of a power user than a real administrator. This command makes your account the REAL administrator like how windows XP does it. I doubt this is the problem since I tested it using a virtual machine running windows 7 and UAC enabled without the global administrator tweak but just in case.
Restarted and ran the command prompt to no avail. It did not ask me to confirm the prompt, it just completed it. Could it be my anti virus software?
Back to top Go down
GreyFalcon
Adept Poster
Adept Poster
GreyFalcon

PostSubject: Re: [Program] For those who still cannot connect to patch server   [Program] For those who still cannot connect to patch server EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 8:53 pm

Toshiie, give this a try:

http://greyfalcon.net/cbfix

Last edited by GreyFalcon on Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Toshiie
Newcomer
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: [Program] For those who still cannot connect to patch server   [Program] For those who still cannot connect to patch server EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 9:03 pm

GreyFalcon wrote:
Toshiie, give this a try:

http://greyfalcon.net/cbfix.zip
It says access denied, even when ran as admin. My computer has no problem with Crysis on max settings but try to play a mmo and I can't patch. So frustrating.
Back to top Go down
GreyFalcon
Adept Poster
Adept Poster
GreyFalcon

PostSubject: Re: [Program] For those who still cannot connect to patch server   [Program] For those who still cannot connect to patch server EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 9:15 pm

Well then try doing it manually

Navigate your folder to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
Cut the hosts file, and paste it onto your desktop
Open Notepad
Open hosts in Notepad
Add this to the end of the file:
Press Ctrl+S
And then drag hosts back to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

_

Also I wonder if perhaps you do have some sort of program blocking access to hosts
Maybe antivirus, maybe a plugin for your browser, like AdBlock.

_

And if this all really doesn't work
Restart your computer into Safe Mode
(Press F8 a lot while the windows bootup icon is in the middle of the screen)
Then choose Safe Mode

Then from there either try that file I made, or the manual steps.
Back to top Go down
Toshiie
Newcomer
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: [Program] For those who still cannot connect to patch server   [Program] For those who still cannot connect to patch server EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 9:40 pm

GreyFalcon wrote:

Open Notepad
Open hosts in Notepad
Press Ctrl+S

_

Also I wonder if perhaps you do have some sort of program blocking access to hosts

_

Then choose Safe Mode

Nothing worked. I disabled all my antivirus and browser plugins. I tried doing it manually and in safe mode. My host file also has a lot of items that were put there by Spybot, one of my antiviruses. Could that be a problem? I don't think so but at this point I'm running out of options.
Back to top Go down
Toshiie
Newcomer
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: [Program] For those who still cannot connect to patch server   [Program] For those who still cannot connect to patch server EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 9:45 pm

Toshiie wrote:
GreyFalcon wrote:

Open Notepad
Open hosts in Notepad
Press Ctrl+S

_

_

Then choose Safe Mode

Nothing worked. I disabled all my antivirus and browser plugins. I tried doing it manually and in safe mode. My host file also has a lot of items that were put there by Spybot, one of my antiviruses. Could that be a problem? I don't think so but at this point I'm running out of options.
I fixed the problem. It was a setting in Spybot that made the host file a read only and would not allow access.
Back to top Go down
GreyFalcon
Adept Poster
Adept Poster
GreyFalcon

PostSubject: Re: [Program] For those who still cannot connect to patch server   [Program] For those who still cannot connect to patch server EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 9:51 pm

[quote="Toshiie"][quote="Toshiie"]
GreyFalcon wrote:
I fixed the problem. It was a setting in Spybot that made the host file a read only and would not allow access.
Good job. Faster than me Razz

Well maybe give this program a try
http://www.abelhadigital.com/hostsman

EXTRA STUFF BELOW

Well, maybe uninstall spybot.
Since clearly some program is blocking your access to that file.

Or if you want to go rather drastic. Create a separate Admin account.
Start > Control Panel > User Accounts > Manage Another Account > Create a New Account
And give it Administrator rights.
And then see if you can mess with the hosts file from that account.
Although now that I think about it, that might not work, since C:\Windows isn't account specific.

But yeah, "something" is blocking your access to that file.
Just need to figure out what that is.

_

And apparently there is a "Lock Hosts File" option for Spybot, and a program called IE Tweaks
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t199222-spybot-1-3-final-lock-hosts-file.html
Back to top Go down
GreyFalcon
Adept Poster
Adept Poster
GreyFalcon

PostSubject: Re: [Program] For those who still cannot connect to patch server   [Program] For those who still cannot connect to patch server EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 10:17 pm

Okay, included the Access Denied error fix into the zip file
http://greyfalcon.net/cbfix

[Program] For those who still cannot connect to patch server B2vF1
Back to top Go down
Wo1f
Newcomer
Newcomer
Wo1f

PostSubject: Re: [Program] For those who still cannot connect to patch server   [Program] For those who still cannot connect to patch server EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 12:57 am

Updated my program to automatically change the hosts file's attributes from whatever they were to "Normal" before patching it, then switching back to the attributes it had before. The patching should work now.

Thanks for the alternative Gray Falcon.
Back to top Go down
RedComet
Newcomer
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: [Program] For those who still cannot connect to patch server   [Program] For those who still cannot connect to patch server EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 12:57 pm

I desperately need help, I am running a windows XP SP2, I dont have an antivirus program because they are so annoying anyways. I stumbled accross the "Could not connect to the server" about a week ago. I tried greyfalcon's fixer and manual method to change the host file, I tried redownload the installer, reinstall the game twice, reinstall Windows XP. But nothing worked. Please help me!!! Mad
Back to top Go down
Wo1f
Newcomer
Newcomer
Wo1f

PostSubject: Re: [Program] For those who still cannot connect to patch server   [Program] For those who still cannot connect to patch server EmptyThu Jun 17, 2010 1:23 am

RedComet wrote:
I desperately need help, I am running a windows XP SP2, I dont have an antivirus program because they are so annoying anyways. I stumbled accross the "Could not connect to the server" about a week ago. I tried greyfalcon's fixer and manual method to change the host file, I tried redownload the installer, reinstall the game twice, reinstall Windows XP. But nothing worked. Please help me!!! Mad

Did you try my program as well?
Back to top Go down
Wo1f
Newcomer
Newcomer
Wo1f

PostSubject: Re: [Program] For those who still cannot connect to patch server   [Program] For those who still cannot connect to patch server EmptyThu Jun 17, 2010 3:51 am

When the Cosmic Break patch servers are back up I will make my own patcher for the people who still can't connect ever after trying editing the hosts file. I've already tested it and it works, I just need to set up the patch server on my web server and do some minor testing. I will finish it a few hours after I wake up in the morning or afternoon.

If the Cosmic Break staff doesn't want me to do this I will make the launcher very easy to fully disable and as soon as I receive notice that they want it to be stopped, the launcher will be disabled for everyone.
Back to top Go down
killerx158
Newcomer
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: [Program] For those who still cannot connect to patch server   [Program] For those who still cannot connect to patch server EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 12:18 pm

Sayuri Chan wrote:
it dont work =(

run it as admin
Back to top Go down
light552

PostSubject: Re: [Program] For those who still cannot connect to patch server   [Program] For those who still cannot connect to patch server EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 8:30 am

help when i try download the thing it goes to a page
Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /Programs/Cosmic Break Patch Fix.exe on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Back to top Go down
light552

PostSubject: Re: [Program] For those who still cannot connect to patch server   [Program] For those who still cannot connect to patch server EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 8:46 am

and when i try and patch it, it either says cannot connect to server or it loads a tiny bit n says failed to update server is prolly over crowded i tried this alot alrdy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [Program] For those who still cannot connect to patch server   [Program] For those who still cannot connect to patch server Empty

Back to top Go down

[Program] For those who still cannot connect to patch server
Page 1 of 1