Cosmic Break
Welcome! to the Unofficial Fan Forums Please read the rules as soon as you can. It will only take a few minutes of your time to do so. If you are not willing to read them, you might not be here for long! Enjoy your stay and don't get into trouble.

Click here for Forum Rules

Click here for Cosmic Break Guides

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Sony's PS4 makes you rebuy PS3 games.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
SL the Pyro
Regular Poster
Regular Poster
SL the Pyro

Male Posts : 364

Sony's PS4 makes you rebuy PS3 games. Empty
PostSubject: Sony's PS4 makes you rebuy PS3 games.   Sony's PS4 makes you rebuy PS3 games. EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 6:35 pm

Courtesy of another forum I frequent:

Quote :

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-28-playstation-4-codenamed-orbis-has-anti-pre-owned-system-report

Quote :
the PS4 won't play PS3 games as Sony has no plans to offer backwards compatibility. It will, however, combat pre-owned by forcing new games, either on a Blu-ray disc or downloaded, to be tied to a single PSN account.

Buy the disc, lock it to an account, and you can play the game, save it to your hard-drive or have it listed as downloaded, and re-download it whenever you wish. You'll apparently need to have a PSN account and be online to play.

Pre-owned games will then be limited to a trial mode. To unlock the full game, you'll have to pay a fee.

Microsoft is also rumoured to be planning to combat pre-owned with an anti-used game system of its own for the next Xbox, codenamed [url="http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-02-28-new-xbox-is-codenamed-durango-report"]Durango[/url], although US retail giant GameStop has said such a move is "[url="http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-22-gamestop-next-xbox-with-anti-used-game-tech-unlikely"]unlikely[/url]".
And apparently Microsoft is going to do something similar to this with their upcoming XBox.

Sometimes I wondered why I was so devoted to Nintendo... stuff like this is probably a large factor. *starts saving up for WiiU*
Back to top Go down
God is a Cat Girl
Guinea Pig Wearing Sweater
Guinea Pig Wearing Sweater

PostSubject: Re: Sony's PS4 makes you rebuy PS3 games.   Sony's PS4 makes you rebuy PS3 games. EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 6:40 pm

Unlimited stealing works.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sony's PS4 makes you rebuy PS3 games.   Sony's PS4 makes you rebuy PS3 games. EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 6:43 pm

Crack it, free games and all you can play.
Back to top Go down
Suki_Eve
Ace Poster
Ace Poster
Suki_Eve

Female Posts : 1493

PostSubject: Re: Sony's PS4 makes you rebuy PS3 games.   Sony's PS4 makes you rebuy PS3 games. EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 9:25 pm

Yuck.

Crap like this makes me more unwilling to buy newer console systems and games.

>Wii-U
Ewww. Nintendo really needed to rethink that name.

I'm not buying any more console systems until there's a significant technology advance that they market. I don't care about gimmicks like "move this controller with your body!" or "3D GAMES" like Nintendo has been spitting out lately. I want technological advances, not headache-induces 3D features.

I love my DS, but I wish Nintendo'd focus less on the cheap gimmicks and more on making the systems connect with past games. And I do like my touch screen on my DS, makes playing The World Ends With You and the Gold/Silver remakes more enjoyable. :v And I've been primarily a player of Nintendo games, so seeing them release a new console/handheld every other year or so has been really aggravating. (Gameboy Color > Gameboy Advance > Gameboy Advance SP > Nintendo DS/Wii > DSi > 3DS > Wii-U ._. )

Regardless, I thought I'd heard that the PS4 wouldn't be coming out until 2015 or so? I happen to like Sony's marketing technique of waiting a decade or so to release the next piece. It seems more like they're making greater tech leaps than Nintendo.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sony's PS4 makes you rebuy PS3 games.   Sony's PS4 makes you rebuy PS3 games. EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 10:49 pm

-facepalm- this is why I don't buy into many new consoles. Sad how console gaming is going down for me.
What if you wanna play your friends game on your console, but games are user locked? It defeats a factor of advertisement, one that the producers hardly even have to try to influence. If a person likes a game, they'll let their friends try it, and talk about it. But if they can't try before buy, then it defeats the entire thing. (For me atleast)

Anyway... Backwards compatibility is one of the few factors i enjoy in a console.
Example for me is that my Gamecube cant read some
Scratched up discs, but my Wii(why do I even have one) reads them much better.

@suki
Gimmicks are for the casualfags who can't make the difference between a GAME and some lame bullcrap.
Back to top Go down
ziix
Burger Molcar
Burger Molcar

PostSubject: Re: Sony's PS4 makes you rebuy PS3 games.   Sony's PS4 makes you rebuy PS3 games. EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 10:54 pm

Is this even confirmed? lol
Back to top Go down
Asagi-san
Regular Poster
Regular Poster
Asagi-san

Male Posts : 434

PostSubject: Re: Sony's PS4 makes you rebuy PS3 games.   Sony's PS4 makes you rebuy PS3 games. EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 1:40 am

ziix wrote:
Is this even confirmed? lol

Well, Sony has had the habit of doing that. The fat PS3 could play most PS2 games, and most of them would still have some compatibility errors. The PS3 Slim threw away backwards compatibility completely, so your PS2 games were pretty much catching dust.

Sony also pulled off the "no backwards compatibility" with the Vita, since the Vita doesn't take UMDs - rendering your PSP games useless. They put up a passport feature so that you could recover the PSP games you have available through the PSN for a small fee, but that's exclusive only to Japan - don't expect to get it in the U.S. anytime soon.

I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled this off too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sony's PS4 makes you rebuy PS3 games.   Sony's PS4 makes you rebuy PS3 games. Empty

Back to top Go down

Sony's PS4 makes you rebuy PS3 games.
Page 1 of 1