Cosmic Break
Welcome! to the Unofficial Fan Forums Please read the rules as soon as you can. It will only take a few minutes of your time to do so. If you are not willing to read them, you might not be here for long! Enjoy your stay and don't get into trouble.

Click here for Forum Rules

Click here for Cosmic Break Guides

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Possible map editor improvements.

Go down 
+6
Aurum_Sol
Astral_Dono
IronFist
Z741
mico034
Chuzard
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Chuzard
Chuzard

Possible map editor improvements. Empty
PostSubject: Possible map editor improvements.   Possible map editor improvements. EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 10:00 am

If you're like me and you love to make maps, then you probably spend a lot of time in the map editor.
You might have noticed the mapeditor interface, controls and layout, etc... aren't really as user friendly as they ought to be.
The editor itself has potential, but there's still a lot of room for improvements. I would like to hear some ideas on this particular matter.
If it gets enough attention I will look into what steps I should undertake in order to contact CS about it (Can't hurt to try).

I, for one, would like the editor itself to be a seperate (not part of the client) downloadable program.
A few reasons for this would be:
-I wouldn't have to be connected to the internet to make a map.
-When playing CB and I suddenly get an idea I just Alt-Tab my way over to the editor.

Other ideas:
*User interface:
- A scaleable window, fullscreen and minimize options.
- Zooming in/out on the minimap.
- Terrain copy/pasting.
- Multiselecting objects/parts with ctrl.
- Toggling visibility of specific layers on the minimap.
- Reduced height slider sensitivity + textbox for height ##.
- Click and hold while holding space to drag across the minimap.
- Opening multiple maps in tabs.
*Aesthetics:
- Custom images in the background sky (e.g. Moon, Planet, Death Giga Star, Clan Emblem,...)

Mico034:
- More 'Missing tilesets' from maps (eg. Divided River, Rail Walker).
Z741:
- 'Render mode' with CB bot controls to preview the map.
IronFist:
- Option to Make no-reward quests and missions (with objectives, mob spawns).
- to be able to place a complete set of certain conjoining objects (without the clipping areas).
- Ability to use objects form different tilesets on the same map.
- Adding Night Highway roads.
- Adding physics objects (when pushed or shot by players the object exercises a linear or radial movement).
- Setting bot restrictions (e.g. LND only, ART only, AIR only, SUP only, CHIBI only, COST-LOWER-THAN or COST-HIGHER-THAN)
in map properties or as the host of a team fight room.
Aurum_Sol:
- Scripting tool for missions.
NoizeGT:
- CTF tools.
- Billboards with custom images.

Last edited by Chuzard on Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:14 am; edited 10 times in total
Back to top Go down
mico034
mico034

Male Posts : 68

PostSubject: Re: Possible map editor improvements.   Possible map editor improvements. EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 4:43 am

and the missing tilesets like the one used on Divided River and Rail Walker.
Back to top Go down
Z741
Adept Poster
Adept Poster
Z741

Male Posts : 739

PostSubject: Re: Possible map editor improvements.   Possible map editor improvements. EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 3:54 pm

I'd love being able to go into "Render Mode" [or any other name that works] and use a test bot to go around and see if anything needs fixing without having to put up a Team Fight Room in CB and dragging another person in to see a WiP map. D:
Back to top Go down
Chuzard
Chuzard

PostSubject: Re: Possible map editor improvements.   Possible map editor improvements. EmptyTue Jan 24, 2012 9:01 am

mico034 wrote:
and the missing tilesets like the one used on Divided River and Rail Walker.
When I first started using the editor there were even less tileset pieces.
Since then they expanded the amount of objects available for placing greatly.
We might see more of this in the future.

Z741 wrote:
I'd love being able to go into "Render Mode" [or any other name that works] and use a test bot to go around and see if anything needs fixing without having to put up a Team Fight Room in CB and dragging another person in to see a WiP map. D:
Yes, This has been quite a thorn in my eye as well. Luckily there's always a few people that join fast -perhaps because of automatching (F12)-
So the waiting never takes long. I'm pretty sure some people dislike 'leaking' WIPs as well.

Updated first post with your ideas so far.

personally, I like the way photoshop handles, especially being able to press and hold space to drag your image around with clicking and holding. This beats using the sliders on the sides by far. It's a small thing, but it saves a lot of time because it's easier and faster to pinpoint the part of the minimap you wish to view. And the we make extensive use of the minimap since all actual editting of the map is done through there.

The height slider is too sensitive. If would also be nice if it had a small textbox next to the slider in which you could type the ## of the specific hight you want.
Back to top Go down
IronFist
Adept Poster
Adept Poster
IronFist

Male Posts : 502

PostSubject: Re: Possible map editor improvements.   Possible map editor improvements. EmptyTue Jan 24, 2012 12:58 pm

- to be able to link maps and make quests and missions (no prizes, just for fun)
- to be able to set mobs and objectives (so you can create quests and missions)
- to have the objects complete (without the leak areas, what would give players more maps possibilities)
- to be able to use objects form different sets at the same map (would be awesome, also to make a multi-sets map with different areas or mixing sets to let imagination fly higher)
- to add movement-objects (like the floor at the "road" map - forgot the name)
- to add moving objects (like . . . its all static objects, no movement at all, also moving objects could also add more to the action as somehow it could block your way sometimes).
- to be able to set kinds of bots (like to create LND only, ART only, AIR only, SUP only, CHIBI only and COST-LOWER-THAN or COST-HIGHER-THAN so map would have restrictions - this option could be set at the map or, another idea is to allow players to set this option at the room when crating a team fight)
Back to top Go down
Astral_Dono
野獣先輩
野獣先輩

Male Posts : 7875

PostSubject: Re: Possible map editor improvements.   Possible map editor improvements. EmptyTue Jan 24, 2012 1:16 pm

These are all awesome ideas you guys. But we can't do anything except discuss this as the staff of C.S. doesn't read anything here. If you want, you can send these suggestions to them though Razz

Use this: https://www.cosmicbreak.com/support/mailform
Be sure to choose "Opinion/Feedback" in the scrolldown box or else they might not know what you're asking specifically.
Back to top Go down
Chuzard
Chuzard

PostSubject: Re: Possible map editor improvements.   Possible map editor improvements. EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 3:20 pm

IronFist wrote:
- to be able to link maps and make quests and missions (no prizes, just for fun)
- to have the objects complete (without the leak areas, what would give players more maps possibilities)
- to be able to use objects form different sets at the same map (would be awesome, also to make a multi-sets map with different areas or mixing sets to let imagination fly higher)
- to add moving objects (like . . . its all static objects, no movement at all, also moving objects could also add more to the action as somehow it could block your way sometimes).
- to be able to set kinds of bots (like to create LND only, ART only, AIR only, SUP only, CHIBI only and COST-LOWER-THAN or COST-HIGHER-THAN so map would have restrictions - this option could be set at the map or, another idea is to allow players to set this option at the room when crating a team fight)
You have some very interesting ideas. However, keep in mind that adding all these extra features would substantially steepen the learning curve of the editor. Nevertheless, the ability to create missions would greatly add to the amount of player content. Also, what exactly do you mean by "complete objects"?

As for bot restrictions, I'd stick with only the chibi and cost restrictions in the team fight room. Those would be a great addition to the already existing rank restriction (and does battlerating restriction exist as well?). I'm adding all of it to the list though.

I took the liberty to freely interpret some of your ideas and elaborate a little more on them. For example: Moving objects could follow a certain path you create with waypoints.

I disagree with your idea on mixing tilesets, mainly because the tilesets vary too much in character, design and just overall feeling. They don't seem suitable for mixing imo.
This is just my oppinion and for all I know something like this might even be in popular demand, so I'm adding it to the list anyway.

-List updated-

Astral_Goddess wrote:
These are all awesome ideas you guys. But we can't do anything except discuss this as the staff of C.S. doesn't read anything here. If you want, you can send these suggestions to them though Razz

Use this: https://www.cosmicbreak.com/support/mailform
Be sure to choose "Opinion/Feedback" in the scrolldown box or else they might not know what you're asking specifically.
Thanks for the directions and as I mentioned in the top post:
"If it gets enough attention I will look into what steps I should undertake in order to contact CS about it (Can't hurt to try)."
We'll see how far this goes, I'm pretty sure I can come up with more improvements on the overall UI as I'm working on some maps.

Last edited by Chuzard on Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Aurum_Sol
Ace Poster
Ace Poster
Aurum_Sol

PostSubject: Re: Possible map editor improvements.   Possible map editor improvements. EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 3:57 pm

doing missions would most likely require alot of scripting, so a scripting tool would come in handy in case they let you build missions
Back to top Go down
Chuzard
Chuzard

PostSubject: Re: Possible map editor improvements.   Possible map editor improvements. EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 4:08 pm

Aurum_Sol wrote:
doing missions would most likely require alot of scripting, so a scripting tool would come in handy in case they let you build missions
True. The idea of this feature without a scripting tool, I can't really imagine how that would work out. Adding it to the list.

I am sure glad to see this thread is taking off, even if it's a bit sluggish at first :p
Back to top Go down
Afterburner
Regular Poster
Regular Poster
Afterburner

Male Posts : 250

PostSubject: Re: Possible map editor improvements.   Possible map editor improvements. EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 5:53 pm

IronFist wrote:
You mean Rail walker? If yes moving minecarts would be cool.
Back to top Go down
Chuzard
Chuzard

PostSubject: Re: Possible map editor improvements.   Possible map editor improvements. EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 6:45 pm

Afterburner wrote:
IronFist wrote:
You mean Rail walker? If yes moving minecarts would be cool.
I think what he actually means is the road that propells players forward on that highway map.
Back to top Go down
Trill
Grand Poster
Grand Poster
Trill

Male Posts : 3071

PostSubject: Re: Possible map editor improvements.   Possible map editor improvements. EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 6:46 pm

Night Highway is the name you people are looking for.
Back to top Go down
Afterburner
Regular Poster
Regular Poster
Afterburner

Male Posts : 250

PostSubject: Re: Possible map editor improvements.   Possible map editor improvements. EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 6:59 pm

Trill wrote:
Night Highway is the name you people are looking for.
Good, because if it was Dull road, having cars running over your team while you stand under your powerspot wouldn't sound as nice idea.

EDIT: instead of talking about changing stages, having the option to use night highway 'floor parts' at stage-editing would be fucking cool.

Last edited by Afterburner on Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added comment)
Back to top Go down
SilverySil
Adept Poster
Adept Poster
SilverySil

Female Posts : 508

PostSubject: Re: Possible map editor improvements.   Possible map editor improvements. EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 7:47 pm

pretty much the only 2 things that are a MUST HAVE are the night highway movement roads and a "walk-through" test ability so we dont have to host games just to test or look for bugs.
Back to top Go down
Chuzard
Chuzard

PostSubject: Re: Possible map editor improvements.   Possible map editor improvements. EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 9:28 am

Night highway roads or something similar would be nice. Imagine somekind of factory map with conveyor belts.

Another idea for the list:
-The ability to open multiple maps in tabs.
Back to top Go down
IronFist
Adept Poster
Adept Poster
IronFist

PostSubject: Re: Possible map editor improvements.   Possible map editor improvements. EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 8:48 pm

Chuzard wrote:
IronFist wrote:
You have some very interesting ideas. However, keep in mind that adding all these extra features would substantially steepen the learning curve of the editor. Nevertheless, the ability to create missions would greatly add to the amount of player content. Also, what exactly do you mean by "complete objects"?

As for bot restrictions, I'd stick with only the chibi and cost restrictions in the team fight room. Those would be a great addition to the already existing rank restriction (and does battlerating restriction exist as well?). I'm adding all of it to the list though.

I took the liberty to freely interpret some of your ideas and elaborate a little more on them. For example: Moving objects could follow a certain path you create with waypoints.

I disagree with your idea on mixing tilesets, mainly because the tilesets vary too much in character, design and just overall feeling. They don't seem suitable for mixing imo.
This is just my oppinion and for all I know something like this might even be in popular demand, so I'm adding it to the list anyway.
-List updated-

by complete objects I mean . . .

u take a bridge . . . it is needed something on both ends or else there will be leaks on both ends of the bridge object (same goes for pillars and many other objects).

if pillars could be a complete object instead of a leaked one, it would make them suitable for more things and to be alone without the need of two pillars to make one (like one back to the other so you can make 1 pillar not connected without leak)

about moving objects . . this but, to be simple, could be something that just rotate or swing, or something that move when player bump or fire at it.

about tilesets . . well, many players wouldnt want to mix tilesets, many would want . . . the fact is, there is no option to mix then so whoever want to mix a tileset just cant with the actual stage editor . . . so tilesets mix would be good to whoever want it and if u dont want to mix, just dont mix.

and the guys thinking I was talking about "dull road" just because used the word road instead of highway . . . lol, thats clear that CB dont have other map where the "road" (highway) move the bot without the need of the player moving the bot and that is what I was talking about. stage editor need something like night highway teleports and movement floor . . .

edit: now that I was thinking about it . . . someone will make a map out of just night highway teleport pads teleporting player form teleport pad to teleport pad . . . pretty much unplayable and melee spammers would teleport spamming melee and attacking enemy at random till everyone is dead . . . (anyone remember wash machine??? so I know that this will happen if they release teleport pads to stage editor)
Back to top Go down
NoizeGT
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Male Posts : 173

PostSubject: Re: Possible map editor improvements.   Possible map editor improvements. EmptySat Jan 28, 2012 2:09 am

i wanted to make CTF maps so those CTF tools is really a must for me...

...also custom billboards you can paste throughout the map.
Back to top Go down
http://flyteam.jp/member/GujiRinka
Chuzard
Chuzard

PostSubject: Re: Possible map editor improvements.   Possible map editor improvements. EmptySat Jan 28, 2012 11:01 am

IronFist wrote:

u take a bridge . . . it is needed something on both ends or else there will be leaks on both ends of the bridge object (same goes for pillars and many other objects).

if pillars could be a complete object instead of a leaked one, it would make them suitable for more things and to be alone without the need of two pillars to make one (like one back to the other so you can make 1 pillar not connected without leak)

about moving objects . . this but, to be simple, could be something that just rotate or swing, or something that move when player bump or fire at it.
Thanks for clarifying, updated the list. Wrote "physics objects (when shot or pushed by players these objects exercise a linear or radial movement)".

So by "complete objects" you mean conjoining sets of objects and by "leak areas" you mean those clipping zones.
It would make a nice addition to help people who are new to mapmaking. I often join teamfights where a newbie mapmaker is testing/displaying his map.
Too many of these newbie mappers haven't fully grasped the concept of cave corridors and such. Ofcourse, for experienced mappers this feature would be completely redundant.
Thanks for the ideas.

NoizeGT wrote:

Ooohh yes! CTF would be awesome.

About the custom billboards idea, I have a similar idea:
Allowing the players to put an image in the background sky, for example, a giant planet or moon, or even Death Giga Star, maybe even a clan emblem.
Back to top Go down
IronFist
Adept Poster
Adept Poster
IronFist

PostSubject: Re: Possible map editor improvements.   Possible map editor improvements. EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 5:19 pm

Chuzard wrote:
IronFist wrote:

Thanks for clarifying, updated the list. Wrote "physics objects (when shot or pushed by players these objects exercise a linear or radial movement)".

So by "complete objects" you mean conjoining sets of objects and by "leak areas" you mean those clipping zones.
It would make a nice addition to help people who are new to mapmaking. I often join teamfights where a newbie mapmaker is testing/displaying his map.
Too many of these newbie mappers haven't fully grasped the concept of cave corridors and such. Ofcourse, for experienced mappers this feature would be completely redundant.
Thanks for the ideas.

NoizeGT wrote:

Ooohh yes! CTF would be awesome.

About the custom billboards idea, I have a similar idea:
Allowing the players to put an image in the background sky, for example, a giant planet or moon, or even Death Giga Star, maybe even a clan emblem.

not really . . . like, if pillars have the under part filled and the upper part completely filled (no clipping zones), someone could use them floating or hanging, maybe even other use. tunnels dont really need to be completed (no clipping zones) but would be nice to dont spend like 4 objects to make one and would not allow newbies at stage editor to crerate crap stuff where you get inside but cant get out (note: they find it amazing as they think of it as a trap, but the fact is, it is really crap and many of them make the map almost entirely made of this "trap" . . . yet, want a concept of a trap??? make a hole from high elevation, place a metacactus there and let whoever fall there to die from metacactus - I once made a map with a death canyon dividing both team bases, yet also big enough for a fight down there, just taht when you fall you have to fight cactus too, but map is not made for that, thats like 85% of the map where you can really play + 15% being a trap where, if player fall and no one go there to kill him, player can chose to suicide into cactus or die trying to survive as much as he can . . . the caves trap dont give you this option and also dont give you the option to fight back. usually made by players who sit and wait for the other team to complain about the map so they know that player is trapped and will eventually die or alt+f4)

no clipping zones would also alow floating plataforms and lots of other details you cant set because objects leave leaks at the map if you try to do that. dont really know why they create failed objects . . .

like, I know, the pillars are ther to connect bridges and if they are not with that leak they would be flickering because both objects bitmaps wouldnt match, but that would be solved by a non-detailed bitmap (just the basic color, no particle details that would be flickering) and objects that dont have the down part or under part . . . that is so fail, really no excuse to leave an object like that u lazy lazy CS developers
Back to top Go down
Chuzard
Chuzard

PostSubject: Re: Possible map editor improvements.   Possible map editor improvements. EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 7:46 pm

IronFist wrote:
no clipping zones would also alow floating plataforms and lots of other details you cant set because objects leave leaks at the map if you try to do that. dont really know why they create failed objects . . .

like, I know, the pillars are ther to connect bridges and if they are not with that leak they would be flickering because both objects bitmaps wouldnt match, but that would be solved by a non-detailed bitmap (just the basic color, no particle details that would be flickering) and objects that dont have the down part or under part . . . that is so fail, really no excuse to leave an object like that u lazy lazy CS developers

Hahaha, that makes sense. I totally know where you're coming from, bro Very Happy.
Oh man, the issues I had with those bitmaps. Neutral

Here's another UI improvement I can think of:
- Better cropping.

Currently if you crop a map, it crops down to the bottom left corner, cutting stuff off if you made everything in the top or right part of the map.
What I suggest would be a way of cropping, similar to photoshops "cavas size" changing, with arrows indicating in which direction it has to crop.
But then again, this could all be solved by being able to copy/paste terrain + heights and stuff.
Back to top Go down
IronFist
Adept Poster
Adept Poster
IronFist

PostSubject: Re: Possible map editor improvements.   Possible map editor improvements. EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 12:31 pm

Chuzard wrote:
IronFist wrote:

Hahaha, that makes sense. I totally know where you're coming from, bro Very Happy.
Oh man, the issues I had with those bitmaps. Neutral

Here's another UI improvement I can think of:
- Better cropping.

Currently if you crop a map, it crops down to the bottom left corner, cutting stuff off if you made everything in the top or right part of the map.
What I suggest would be a way of cropping, similar to photoshops "cavas size" changing, with arrows indicating in which direction it has to crop.
But then again, this could all be solved by being able to copy/paste terrain + heights and stuff.

well, if ure talking about making a copy (or a mirror) of a map/terrain area . . . never was a problem to me to make a symetric map from up to down, left to right, corner up to corner down (diagonal symmetry or symmetry composed of lateral and diagonal) . . . indeed, I play minecraft and that is really not a problem to make huge buildings and bridges, suspension bridges, etc. it is a matter of coordination and organization when building but, yes, it would be much easier with the features u mentioned.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Possible map editor improvements.   Possible map editor improvements. Empty

Back to top Go down

Possible map editor improvements.
Page 1 of 1