Cosmic Break
Welcome! to the Unofficial Fan Forums Please read the rules as soon as you can. It will only take a few minutes of your time to do so. If you are not willing to read them, you might not be here for long! Enjoy your stay and don't get into trouble.

Click here for Forum Rules

Click here for Cosmic Break Guides

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Stage Editor Contest

Go down 
+4
xzpwnz
mikuri
fhoeng
IronFist
8 posters
AuthorMessage
IronFist
Adept Poster
Adept Poster
IronFist

Male Posts : 502

Stage Editor Contest Empty
PostSubject: Stage Editor Contest   Stage Editor Contest EmptyWed Dec 07, 2011 4:31 pm

I made a call at the official site and that was the fast response I got:

2011-12-07
11:49

Stage Editor Contest - when will they send the results (and place maps at arena) ?

IronFist

title says all.

have they ever mentioned when they will send results and place maps to play?

a lot of players made maps so I think many want to know about it

Posting

Show 1 - 2 item(s)

12-07
12:14

1: Vyolets

This "contest" isn't made to appease CyberStep; it's more of a contest by the players, -for- the players. What I mean is that hardly anyone gave them any material to work with in the form of reviews for each map.

They specifically asked players for reviews, said they would take reviews into great consideration (read: decide which ones to implement based on player feedback), then bumped the thread a few weeks after it was posted asking for more reviews. No one gave them anything new except for me, some short and questionable quality reviews, and people reviewing their own maps.

On what grounds will they base their decisions? The opinions of ~5 players who didn't even try every map in the contest, or the business that hardly plays the game itself and is responsible for giving us a bunch of poorly-designed maps like Battle Cemetary and Temple Site? I'm sure they don't want to be the ones responsible for making the decision, and I'm sure 5 people isn't enough feedback to call it a day either.

I'm really not surprised that the contest has gone cold. It's not really a contest when there are no judges. The only part of the contest they really need to handle is awarding the chosen winners their Rt and implementing the maps.

12-07
12:29

2: IronFist Delete

well, I wasnt aware that we, players, were to "vote" (review) the maps. or at least I havent understood that.

so, guys. I think that, whoever want to see the results (and a chance to see your own map there), should review the maps (if that still time for that)
Back to top Go down
fhoeng
Regular Poster
Regular Poster
fhoeng

PostSubject: Re: Stage Editor Contest   Stage Editor Contest EmptyWed Dec 07, 2011 5:33 pm

This is a tough ordeal.

This essentially is telling people to do work for either free or something they are passionate about.

You can't ask people to work for free when they came to you just looking to kill some time to have fun.

You can't ask people to work for something they aren't passionate about for free.

So...? The only way out is give reward for doing work. Writing review is work. Or somehow telepathically brainwash people into being passionate about reviewing maps.

Which one is easier? Take your pick.

me? personally I will brainwash people telepathically, since I am a super being and all. But doing that require work, and I am not very passionate about brainwashing people, so I will leave other super being to do it.
-----------------------------------------------------
In more seriousness to bring a solution...

Most problematic part of this scenario is that the official forum structure is difficult to navigate through, so people are not just spending time to review, they are also spending perhaps even more time looking for a decent map.

I suggest dividing up the task within the community.

Feature one map picked by admin (note1) of the fan forum and post on the fan forum (where fan can control easier), 1 map every few days (note2), give the map attention it need in a focused spot light. People who lurk around here all day can review the map. People with different passion level can take their own time to review the map, not requiring everyone to review the same map.

Basically fan forum head figure be the filter, and players can review it.

A list system will need to be made to make sure no duplicated effort.

note1: need the admin authority, as they should be well respected so their decision on which map to spot light should hold better weight. Work load can be distributed to other well known figure of the forum. Simply pick one is fine, but a known figure's "simple pick" is different than a commoner's simple pick. Whoever picking map can quickly obtain a few map to take a quick 1 minute (or less) look before throwing it onto fan forum (picking maybe 1 out of 5). Screenshot will help.

note2: duration of time should be determine by numerous factor. Few quick factors I can think of.
Shorter time = less attention given, more maps done in the same month; also more tiring for people, easier to burn people out.
Longer time = more attention time, but less work done for hopefully more quality; too long, and people start to lose interest.
---------------------------------------
The official CB admin should have done something like this to begin with. It just show their poor organization skill or simply the heart just isn't there.

Last edited by fhoeng on Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mikuri
Adept Poster
Adept Poster
mikuri

PostSubject: Re: Stage Editor Contest   Stage Editor Contest EmptyWed Dec 07, 2011 5:55 pm

GMs should make an event in-game, like a map tournament. They make 2 teams and they make'em play on 2 map. After, they ask which one was better.

Then people try them for real and they get instant vote.

On a side note:
Official forums are BAD.
Back to top Go down
xzpwnz
Legendary Poster
Legendary Poster
xzpwnz

Male Posts : 4686

PostSubject: Re: Stage Editor Contest   Stage Editor Contest EmptyWed Dec 07, 2011 5:56 pm

Yeah, I'm not downloading all that
I wouldn't mind reviewing if someone else displayed the maps
Then again I've high standards
Back to top Go down
Aurum_Sol
Ace Poster
Ace Poster
Aurum_Sol

PostSubject: Re: Stage Editor Contest   Stage Editor Contest EmptyWed Dec 07, 2011 6:25 pm

xzpwnz wrote:
Yeah, I'm not downloading all that
I wouldn't mind reviewing if someone else displayed the maps
Then again I've high standards

high standards should be a given for critique on something that has an impact of that size to the game
Back to top Go down
IronFist
Adept Poster
Adept Poster
IronFist

Male Posts : 502

PostSubject: Re: Stage Editor Contest   Stage Editor Contest EmptyWed Dec 07, 2011 6:30 pm

I was considering to vote only for the images posted (I wouldnt download either)

yet, I agree (and I still think the guy that answered me is wrong) but I would give a try to see if Cash Seekrs move their lazy lazy butts and do something about the stage editor contest (that THEY HAD TO DOWNLOAD, PLAY EACH ONE AND GIVE THEIR VOTES TO PLACE THE MAPS AT THE OFFICIAL ARENA)

they could at least set maps to cicle at arena so we all could play and tell the GMs what is the best map. to ask players to download is lol.
Back to top Go down
mikuri
Adept Poster
Adept Poster
mikuri

PostSubject: Re: Stage Editor Contest   Stage Editor Contest EmptyWed Dec 07, 2011 7:24 pm

Should be a room only for maps in the contest, or like I said before a tournament of maps.

Anyway, we need a way to play them without downloading and such.
Back to top Go down
Kirika
Ace Poster
Ace Poster
Kirika

PostSubject: Re: Stage Editor Contest   Stage Editor Contest EmptyFri Dec 09, 2011 5:12 am

mikuri wrote:
Should be a room only for maps in the contest, or like I said before a tournament of maps.

They'd have to devise a way for us to upload them to the server. It's a cool idea, but that would mean extra work for them? Idk, if this is the reason why they haven't done anything about it, maybe I should put up a vid of me just wandering my map to make votes easier?
Back to top Go down
SilverySil
Adept Poster
Adept Poster
SilverySil

Female Posts : 508

PostSubject: Re: Stage Editor Contest   Stage Editor Contest EmptyFri Dec 09, 2011 7:14 am

mikuri wrote:

upload map submissions to a separate server. which a certain arena room plays them in order. they could do farcry2 type map sharing as in you download the map when you join, but have the option if you want to keep the maps or not after the match ends.

(hell this should have been done with regular team battle custom maps.)

whatever is done, for the most part though i the GMs or whoever have forgotten about that event entirely it seems.
Back to top Go down
Rhyadel
Regular Poster
Regular Poster
Rhyadel

Female Posts : 273

PostSubject: Re: Stage Editor Contest   Stage Editor Contest EmptyFri Dec 09, 2011 12:36 pm

They usually wait until a good garapon leaves before announcing winners. Well thats what it feels like most of the time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stage Editor Contest   Stage Editor Contest Empty

Back to top Go down

Stage Editor Contest
Page 1 of 1