Cosmic Break
Welcome! to the Unofficial Fan Forums Please read the rules as soon as you can. It will only take a few minutes of your time to do so. If you are not willing to read them, you might not be here for long! Enjoy your stay and don't get into trouble.

Click here for Forum Rules

Click here for Cosmic Break Guides

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Notable Indie game general.

Go down 
+2
Suguri
knyx
6 posters
AuthorMessage
knyx
Grand Poster
Grand Poster
knyx

Notable Indie game general. Empty
PostSubject: Notable Indie game general.   Notable Indie game general. EmptyFri Jul 29, 2011 11:30 pm

Iji:Old-school platformer. Undoubtedly one of the most beautiful Indie games I've ever played, short enough to clear in a single sitting, yet the hidden content and easter eggs makes it highly replayable. I'll be a nostalgiafag here but it brings back a kind of game you just don't see anymore. Starts off easy and eventually climaxes when you encounter Tor and the game suddenly becomes a western-style bullet hell game. And the most impressive part is that it was created by one person on game maker over the course of 4 years. GG Daniel Remar.

Cave Story (Doukutsu Monogatari):Old-school platformer. Another equally beautiful game, a fair bit longer and difficult than Iji but noob-friendly enough for anyone to pick it up and play. Multiple endings for the curious and savvy, includes bad end where you do nothing, true end and best end with an omgwtfbbq extra stage boss. Getting a re-release on the NDS courtesy of NISA Embarassed. All the work of one guy again, not even using game maker for 5 years. GG Pixel.

Chzo Mythos: the Quadrilogy:Mystery-adventure. Okay, that's not exactly the real name for the series. It entails four extremely detailed and intricate mystery-adventure games, as you play you realize that all is not as it seems, and the deeper you delve the more mysterious things seem. Chronology goes 5 days-->notes-->7 days-->6 days, though you will not understand a thing if you don't play it through by order of release, which goes 5 days-->7 days-->notes--> 6 days. About 10 years of one man pounding away at Adventure Game Studio. GG Ben Croshaw.

Immortal Defense: Tower Defense: I must say, this game doesn't have much in the way of gameplay, but the dance of colours along with the immersive, narrative plot and well-written story was the hook for me. I initially didn't even think this was an indie game to start. If I get the coin I'd definitely get the full version since the demo left me wanting the rest of the story.

Yume Nikki:Adventure. Weird game. It's about a girl who is in a room, and can't do anything except play a game, or sleep. Though sleep is where you'll be for most of the game, since it's where you explore and actually do stuff. Anyways my only real impression is WAT. Go play it yourself, and try not to be alone at night with the lights turned off.

A Game with a Kitty: Old-school Platformer. Short game, not sure why I put it here, maybe it's because it had a kittey in it. Also check out #2(does not have a kittey) and #3(kittey is back).

This is intended as a collection of small-time games worth playing, made with devotion and interest instead of cliched hyped mainstream games intending to make a profit. Feel free to add your own to the list, if entries get long enough I may organize and catalogue them in these opening posts. Also be nice and provide a link and genre for the indie game in question.

Names are hyperlinks.

Last edited by knyx on Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:59 pm; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
knyx
Grand Poster
Grand Poster
knyx

PostSubject: Re: Notable Indie game general.   Notable Indie game general. EmptyFri Jul 29, 2011 11:31 pm

Reserved
Back to top Go down
knyx
Grand Poster
Grand Poster
knyx

PostSubject: Re: Notable Indie game general.   Notable Indie game general. EmptyFri Jul 29, 2011 11:32 pm

Reserved

Placeholder message:

I know I've played more indie games than just these 3, but brain is derping after another shitty day at work so hoping it'll come back some time.
Back to top Go down
Suguri
God Poster
God Poster
Suguri

Female Posts : 7765

PostSubject: Re: Notable Indie game general.   Notable Indie game general. EmptySat Jul 30, 2011 12:51 am

Yume Nikki is pretty damn entertaining.

For a little while, anyway.

Haven't played Cave Story yet for some reason. Haven't heard of the others.
Back to top Go down
Nisa
God Poster
God Poster
Nisa

Female Posts : 7152

PostSubject: Re: Notable Indie game general.   Notable Indie game general. EmptySat Jul 30, 2011 2:09 am

Recettear.

Loli+shop+cutes+dungeon+shop+pix = win
Back to top Go down
Tuskin
Do not charge RT
Tuskin

Male Posts : 2811

PostSubject: Re: Notable Indie game general.   Notable Indie game general. EmptySat Jul 30, 2011 6:50 am

Copypasting from "a certain latin american website".

Legend of Princess
Notable Indie game general. Purincesu
http://www.konjak.org/

Very short but sweet. Great animations and visuals, it's a crime this guy probably made this just for his portfolio.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sihkib39sbc8bgw

Bunny Must Die
Notable Indie game general. Bmd

Metroidvania with a lot of humor and some subtle JoJo references.

http://www.mediafire.com/?atp15bhfpvpnmhv
http://www.mediafire.com/?rpc5csfzw2crahr

La Mulana
Notable Indie game general. Lamulana2a

http://la-mulana.com/en/
http://agtp.romhack.net/project.php?id=lamulana

A whole game paying tribute to the MSX times.

http://www.mediafire.com/?b9cozj46tjtlthk
http://www.mediafire.com/?s3ul5833h04qvsx

I'm too lazy to post (and upload) more shit, but check out Vanguard Princess, Absolute Blue, Jets'n'Guns (great soundtrack for a shoot em up), Runman, and Elona.

More links:
http://vsrecommendedgames.wikia.com/wiki/Freeware_Games
http://www.demonoid.me/files/details/2623503/006392119302/
http://www.demonoid.me/files/details/2629583/006392119302/
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Notable Indie game general.   Notable Indie game general. EmptySat Jul 30, 2011 7:01 am

Immortal Defense looks too DEEP for me.
Back to top Go down
knyx
Grand Poster
Grand Poster
knyx

PostSubject: Re: Notable Indie game general.   Notable Indie game general. EmptySat Jul 30, 2011 10:11 am

Diabolical wrote:
Immortal Defense looks too DEEP for me.

It's a novel with interludes where you fight interstellar invaders.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Notable Indie game general.   Notable Indie game general. EmptySat Jul 30, 2011 7:13 pm

Minecraft
Back to top Go down
Nisa
God Poster
God Poster
Nisa

PostSubject: Re: Notable Indie game general.   Notable Indie game general. EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 5:27 am

LXE wrote:
Minecraft

Already mentioned.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Notable Indie game general.   Notable Indie game general. EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 7:16 am

Notable Indie game general. Hla06
Battle Moon Wars.

Not sure if werk can be called an indie company, though.
Back to top Go down
Nisa
God Poster
God Poster
Nisa

PostSubject: Re: Notable Indie game general.   Notable Indie game general. EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 8:00 am

Cori wrote:
Spoiler:
Battle Moon Wars.

I've seen that knight and that hammer somewhere before... (useless fire element monster hunter hammer D:)
Back to top Go down
knyx
Grand Poster
Grand Poster
knyx

PostSubject: Re: Notable Indie game general.   Notable Indie game general. EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 8:13 am

Nisa wrote:
Cori wrote:
Spoiler:
Battle Moon Wars.

I've seen that knight and that hammer somewhere before... (useless fire element monster hunter hammer D:)

I think that's Gilgamesh.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Notable Indie game general.   Notable Indie game general. EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 8:14 am

Nisa wrote:
LXE wrote:
Minecraft
Already mentioned.
You can never stop mentioning Minecraft.
Back to top Go down
Aurum_Sol
Ace Poster
Ace Poster
Aurum_Sol

PostSubject: Re: Notable Indie game general.   Notable Indie game general. EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 8:37 am

EXTREME STYLISH plattformer: Armed with Wings 2

also feel free to play part 1 and 3, i just prefer part 2 the most for its maincharacter and variety (part 3 offers only indirect upgrades instead of real variety)
this is a real must play alone for the style

----------------------------

very nice Role Playing Game: Epic Battle Fantasy III

many difficultys to chose from, easy being well ... easy and dumb enough for worst of beginners up to hard which offers

an extremely nice combat system allowing many tactics and playstyles while always being challanging, it compares easily to something like final fantasys combat systems (which it was inspired from... but i think epic battle fantasys system is even better)

feel free to play part I and II, they are really good, part I and II lack the world map though, its just the fighting :3

------------------------------

i will later link to another flash rpg series called "sonny" which is also very good :3
Back to top Go down
UncleBobbie
Ace Poster
Ace Poster
UncleBobbie

Male Posts : 1342

PostSubject: Re: Notable Indie game general.   Notable Indie game general. EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 9:16 am

Only notable indie games I know would be

Minecraft and Doukutsu Monogatari

I'm kinda wondering what the 3D version of Doukutsu Monogatari is gonna be (Me thinks is going to suck)

Sidenote: The creator of Doukutsu Monogatari (Pixel, is it?) also has another very short game called Ika-chan, also fun. :3

EDIT: Nvm, both were already mentioned x.x"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Notable Indie game general.   Notable Indie game general. Empty

Back to top Go down

Notable Indie game general.
Page 1 of 1