Cosmic Break
Welcome! to the Unofficial Fan Forums Please read the rules as soon as you can. It will only take a few minutes of your time to do so. If you are not willing to read them, you might not be here for long! Enjoy your stay and don't get into trouble.

Click here for Forum Rules

Click here for Cosmic Break Guides

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

HD Skin Tutorial?

Go down 
+4
Valkyrie
exoakutsu
Rhyadel
BusterCaptain
8 posters
AuthorMessage
BusterCaptain
Newcomer
Newcomer

Male Posts : 2

HD Skin Tutorial? Empty
PostSubject: HD Skin Tutorial?   HD Skin Tutorial? EmptySat Apr 27, 2013 9:50 pm

I would like to try my hand at making my own skins, mostly re-colors, but my desired results elude me. If some one can point me in the right direction, that would be greatly appreciated.

(If it makes any difference, I use Paint.NET)

Thanks again!
Back to top Go down
Rhyadel
Regular Poster
Regular Poster
Rhyadel

Female Posts : 273

HD Skin Tutorial? Empty
PostSubject: Re: HD Skin Tutorial?   HD Skin Tutorial? EmptySat Apr 27, 2013 10:35 pm

If you want to just change the color of a skin and not actually change anything you can just select the area you want changed and adjust the hue setting.

Custom skins take a while to learn if you are pretty new to them or not great at digital/pixel art and I dont think there are any specific CB tutorials out right now.
Back to top Go down
exoakutsu
Adept Poster
Adept Poster
exoakutsu

Male Posts : 707

HD Skin Tutorial? Empty
PostSubject: Re: HD Skin Tutorial?   HD Skin Tutorial? EmptySun Apr 28, 2013 1:08 am

I prefer Gimp as it's pretty good. Just use the magic wand button and change the thresholds.
Back to top Go down
Valkyrie
Molcars Wearing Sunglasses
Molcars Wearing Sunglasses

Male Posts : 2457

HD Skin Tutorial? Empty
PostSubject: Re: HD Skin Tutorial?   HD Skin Tutorial? EmptySun Apr 28, 2013 4:47 pm

exoakutsu wrote:
I prefer Gimp as it's pretty good. Just use the magic wand button and change the thresholds.
Yeah, Gimp is nice for recolors. I started with using Paint tool SAI, but Gimp seems even easier to handle.

As for the other aspects of skinning, practice is your best teacher, I suppose.
Back to top Go down
.nyappy.
Regular Poster
Regular Poster
.nyappy.

Female Posts : 132

HD Skin Tutorial? Empty
PostSubject: Re: HD Skin Tutorial?   HD Skin Tutorial? EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 4:03 am

Whenever I need to skin, and not just change colors, something like putting patterns and erasing the part that you don't want, I need to use a pentab. Or you can just use a mouse and the pen tool that both SAI and Photoshop have and just edit the lines manually via points. But unless you have good mouse editing skills well that works just as well.

Skinning needs a lot of patience since you need to adjust where the specific pattern you want be on in the image. I open both CB and SAI to start with my skins.

There are some parts where the skins looks complex and there are some people who are unable to know which part's which. Just turn on the UV or when it still looks too complicated try using a line and from outside the image drag it across the image till it hits the part you want to skin in the preview model.

Also don't forget the lighting and gradient, and when skinning moes, make sure their clothing have those cloth wrinkles or whatever you call them... these are the keys to to having that HD look

Here's something I did:
Back to top Go down
Satoshi
Regular Poster
Regular Poster
Satoshi

Male Posts : 156

HD Skin Tutorial? Empty
PostSubject: Re: HD Skin Tutorial?   HD Skin Tutorial? EmptyTue Apr 30, 2013 3:55 am

.nyappy. wrote:

does anyone know whose dress this belongs to?

Ada Wong
Back to top Go down
Graysmith
Newcomer
Newcomer
Graysmith

Male Posts : 7

HD Skin Tutorial? Empty
PostSubject: Re: HD Skin Tutorial?   HD Skin Tutorial? EmptyThu May 02, 2013 7:23 am

You should try using Adobe Photoshop
And then learn to use the Pen Tool (this is necessary) and how to shade using Brush Tool.
but Gradient Tool might work just fine for shading.
Back to top Go down
Atlaz
Regular Poster
Regular Poster
Atlaz

Male Posts : 119

HD Skin Tutorial? Empty
PostSubject: Re: HD Skin Tutorial?   HD Skin Tutorial? EmptyWed May 29, 2013 5:56 am

Well basically it takes time and practice. Also if you screw up in pixel you can easily fix anything and you don't even need to work on strokes so go nuts. Unless you have great memory feel free to have material to look at whenever your drawing something.

There's multiple HD characters I just start off with a different face to save some time because it takes a really long time if your starting from scratch.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

HD Skin Tutorial? Empty
PostSubject: Re: HD Skin Tutorial?   HD Skin Tutorial? Empty

Back to top Go down

HD Skin Tutorial?
Page 1 of 1