Cosmic Break
Welcome! to the Unofficial Fan Forums Please read the rules as soon as you can. It will only take a few minutes of your time to do so. If you are not willing to read them, you might not be here for long! Enjoy your stay and don't get into trouble.

Click here for Forum Rules

Click here for Cosmic Break Guides

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Linux

Go down 
+2
VeryMelon
Nameless
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Nameless
Newcomer
Newcomer

Linux  Empty
PostSubject: Linux    Linux  EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 4:31 pm

Are there players interested in having a linux client of the game? I ask this because if the game is in fact a java game, then it shouldn't be as hard to port, and such would boost the sales, considering linux is gaining momentum ( if you are unsure about this, just ask valve).

What would stop the developers on making such port, technical support costs? some windows-only sdk or software in the installer?

Now I don´t want this thread to end up in a flame war, I am just asking a sincere question, as this port if not expensive, would boost sales and the userbase as well.

I am eager to read arguments against my ideas, but please keep it critical-thinking friendly.
Back to top Go down

Linux  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Linux    Linux  EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 4:48 pm

I'm no avid Linux user, but can't Cb be run on Wine?
Back to top Go down
VeryMelon
Jikun Hu
Jikun Hu

Male Posts : 1147

Linux  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Linux    Linux  EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 5:34 pm

They can barely keep it running without falling apart on Windows.
Back to top Go down
/dev/random
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Linux  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Linux    Linux  EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 5:38 pm

iKray wrote:
Yep.
Back to top Go down
Nameless
Newcomer
Newcomer

Linux  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Linux    Linux  EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 7:06 pm

/dev/random wrote:
iKray wrote:
Yep.

I am acknowledge this, however, when a game has a native client or native support, then the awareness in the linux community increases, this can be proven by the Ryzom mmo for example or oil rush a game that for most Windows users was just another game, but had a lot of following on the penguin side.

I was just asking, not trying to force the idea or anything.
Back to top Go down
dsp
Adept Poster
Adept Poster
dsp

Linux  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Linux    Linux  EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 7:48 pm

VeryMelon wrote:

This.
Would mean more work for the developers to maintain 2 client versions when they have problems making 1 work.
We all know how awesome CS is at maintenance
Back to top Go down
SilverySil
Adept Poster
Adept Poster
SilverySil

Female Posts : 508

Linux  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Linux    Linux  EmptyWed Dec 12, 2012 2:08 am

there is a reason a lot of games currently are not being ported to linux.

(keep in mind this is my experience from old versions. i haven't tried any of the new versions of linux yet so it might have changed from my experience.
my experience with linux stems from older fedora versions like fedora core 5 & back),

but from what i know the basic file permissions that linux utilizes (Read, Write, Execute). They are so strict compared to windows. if you dont have any one of those permissions then most games will not run. period. and seeing as some games are treated by linux as third party software, linux automatically disables certain permissions by default depending on where you install it.

not to mention that if you are to change the propertys of ANYthing in linux you need good very good knowledge of command line usage and how to navigate the linux OS command line interface.

programs for linux have to be custom-programed to operate within linux's permissions, and windows has a problem with linux-based permissions for some reason half the time.

this costs money to completely rework there program to be able to operate normally across multiple OS'es. and lets face it, with cybersteps record i don't see them spending money to recreate there game again, only for an extremely smaller user-base.
(if i had to guesstimate, the current percentages for used OS'es would be: 80% windows, 15% MAC OSX, 5% linux. note i havent checked that stats in around a year)

though linux is extremely more stable then windows though, ill give it that no questions.(if you know how to command line OS)

Last edited by SilverySil on Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:16 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Kitouski
Ace Poster
Ace Poster
Kitouski

Male Posts : 1054

Linux  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Linux    Linux  EmptyWed Dec 12, 2012 6:55 am

While I'd kill to see this,

VeryMelon wrote:

Love to see it happen, but it's a lot more work then it sounds and at the pace CS moves... well, we all know how quickly they'd complete that if they actually decided to do such a thing.
Back to top Go down
http://www.kito.winterwing.com
Sponsored content

Linux  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Linux    Linux  Empty

Back to top Go down

Linux
Page 1 of 1