Cosmic Break
Welcome! to the Unofficial Fan Forums Please read the rules as soon as you can. It will only take a few minutes of your time to do so. If you are not willing to read them, you might not be here for long! Enjoy your stay and don't get into trouble.

Click here for Forum Rules

Click here for Cosmic Break Guides

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Differences in gameing Taste by region

Go down 
+4
Stickboy
Suguri
FireKiller87
boytitan2
8 posters
AuthorMessage
boytitan2
Fishell
Fishell

Male Posts : 8639

Differences in gameing Taste by region Empty
PostSubject: Differences in gameing Taste by region   Differences in gameing Taste by region EmptyThu Jun 14, 2012 8:45 pm

From my time here I can see that the 2 other sides of the worlds have very different tastes in gaming.
For instance xbox 360 is all but did in japan yet still outsells PS3 in global numbers.

So ill post what makes a game fun to me as a westerner.

Genres of game I play racing games havent been a good one in a while =(. Fighting games, Fps games and some adventure games like The jack and daxter series.

I started out with fighting games mortal kombat,Street fighter 2, only other game I owned before playstation so crappy nba game and kirby dream land so fun.

move1 or 2 years later d on to play station Right when the slim one just came out,My brother had the big one, Fav games Wutang shailon style,Street fighter 2 ex plus, Tekken 3. The king of fighters 99,Twisted metal. Didnt appreciate tomb raider cause all I liked at the time was violence didnt like racing games cause as a kid I sucked at all the ones I had.

What I look for in games

Racing games idk but I do know I fucking hate the current product. In realistic ones like GTR and Project Gotham racing Im above average. Better at the semi arcade ones Like need for speed. The full blown arcade ones are my least fav like burn out and midnight club tho I played em fun as hell. Burn out club 3 midnight edition had my fav albulm of all games. Last racing game I owned need for speed carbon and before that was need for speed most wanted xbox 460 edition which made me loose my console at the time by rage breaking it and the game RIGHT BEFORE THE LAST RACE I GET A FUCKING CORRUPT SAVE ALL THE FUCKING CARS I TUNED AND UNLOCKED THE TIME ON AND OFFLINE SPENT PLAYING U SON OF A BITCH DIE.

For fighting games ill buy anything but I prefer games with combo chains were u can stunlock some one in a combo like tekken yes in 3 I was a eddy faggot what he had 1 chain were u can knock a guy down to like 2 hits damn right I abused that. I used ogre and law sometimes =\. Its not my fault he was broken I was a kid. Plus Im alot better at tekken than I am at street fighter and king of fighters, Actually for the game I started with Im the worse at street fighter that any fighting game. I also Love virtual fighter, The combos kinda chain and theres also blocking. Fav duuh Im boytitan I like the power character akira break bitches in to with my streaks and the sound his power moves make hitting some one is orgasmic =D.Wolf and his slams are fun to used to howl like him after winning as a kid 0-o. Kinda stopped likeing them cause THE SOUL CALIBUR Corrupt SAVE BULLSHIT STILL PISSES ME OFF ALL MY COSTUMES AND I HAD ALL THE HIDDEN CHARACTERS U SON OF A BITCH DIE DIE DIE. actually corrupt saves seem to be a trend in cosonles breaking its what lead to the death of my ps one with loosing the extra characters in street fighter ex2 plus. I had the real cool guy with the hands that glow like flames unlocked. Actually it goes back to my SNES kirby dream land Save gone.SNES thus grew wings and flew out my window.

What I look for in shooters Im alot more open now. It used to be had to be fast paced, Reward for people with better aim, Bullets Can be dodged not realistic, I dont want my opponest bad aim,cover or sneak attacks to be the only way I can dodge at least halo paced. Now I can put up with anything but battle field paced shooters. Not auto aim, Aiming system must be fluid I dont want in game issues effecting my aim bullets hitting team mates cause projectiles to big, Its to easy to aim cause all weapons are hit scan, Projectile hits the floor more than team mates depending on players characters size cb for instance, Aim assist does more harm than good CB again for example. Aiming system is smooth holds steady. If u wana make weapons harder to use make it so spray and pray is impossible by adding what ever the effect it is when your shoots spread out if you dont time em.

Fav shooters Unreal tournament 2004, Halo 2 and 3, Far cry 1.

Adventure games I liked well pretty much only played crash bandicoot all the ones on the ps1 and all the jack and daxtors even the psp one.Some mega man x games also

Just dont be repetitive.

What I hate in games the moment I cant completely learn em for myself,I want to be able to play a game and completely figure it out on my own no annoying A.I. no having to read shit or have some one else tell me how to play it. Only thing Ill read is a moves list in a fighting game. No community having to tell me how to play it. Now u see why en players fail at alot of mmo games and people curses you out when tryna explain stuff to em. Especially when games have the looks of a casual game.

Repetitiveness, Any of the aiming issues I stated, Grind used to be able to put up with dragonica level grind the most but now fuck it any sort of grind=rage, Balance issues,Power creep, Newer weapons making old stuff out dated. Boring maps, Nice maps but cause hassles for competitive gameplay or dont make any since for instance halo reach.Stair can fuck up grenade throws to many shit in the way, Map geometry doesent make since fun for casual play tho just not tournaments and competitive play,Spawns arent perfect.,Or for example here the little stumps that come out the ground in CB,When I used large zook,And titan zook that have fucked my shots up, I have got stuck running from melee in them and died IM A GIANT ASS MECH AND CANT STOMP IT DOWN. Now that I think of it I should just quit sdgo wile Im ahead any any mmo for that reason they have all this shit dont they.

For all games LACK OF GAME MODES, Or them being pointless reach vs 3 for instance, Reach all that really matters is slayer and the giant mess that is now big team slayer, 3 all play list were fun and more maps.

Lots of maps FEED ME MORE

Good, Diverse, Smart, Challengeing, Not completely blind, Not to hard either giveing em auto aim for 2000 feet doesent = fun. Think halo 2 and 1 for good example halo 3 bad example of A.I. A.I. also must not have predictable move set, if u do make this better have a shit ton of enemy types Like Mega man for example well its good games.

Also must have a setting I care for modern or futuristic, If old I want samurais or demons and shit. Even with futuristic Im still picky dont like mass effects look Ima be honest only reason i wont play the game. Really dont care about majical shit.
Back to top Go down
FireKiller87
Ace Poster
Ace Poster
FireKiller87

Male Posts : 1708

PostSubject: Re: Differences in gameing Taste by region   Differences in gameing Taste by region EmptyThu Jun 14, 2012 10:25 pm

I'm Chinese by blood, but I'm an East Coast guy by region. So I have multiple tastes.

I look for good stories. In particular, a game with some love/romance that begins to show itself through the main story(not blatantly obvious, then it's no fun) appeals a lot to me.
Graphics don't matter. At all.
Gameplay has to be good or I'm done with the game within three to six months.

I'm a fan of a lot of RPGs/MMOs, they're my main gaming genre. Before CB, I played Lunia, Grand Chase, Maplestory, and possibly a couple others I don't care to remember.
I'm also a big Starcraft guy. RTS is fun, although I'm about average at it.

There isn't a huge gaming community where I live, but what I think people look for is:
1. How easy a game is
2. How good the game looks, graphicswise
3. How many people play said game(popularity factor)
4. If there are any glitches/tricks/other shit to make said game easier
In descending order of importance. A lot of gamers these days don't try to develop any skills, like reflexes/reaction time, accuracy, or precision. The days when I had to make a perfectly precise double jump and aerial spin/edge grab/etc. are pretty much gone.

In the Eastern Hemisphere, I think gamers there are a bit more into strategy and planning. Not having lived or visited there myself, I'm not sure of what I'm saying, but it's what I feel. The fact that the sport of South Korea is Starcraft II kind of speaks to that.
Although in Japan, a ton of games there are just perverted. :3c
Back to top Go down
Suguri
God Poster
God Poster
Suguri

Female Posts : 7765

PostSubject: Re: Differences in gameing Taste by region   Differences in gameing Taste by region EmptyThu Jun 14, 2012 10:45 pm

My must-haves:

-Difficulty: If it isn't challenging, I want nothing to do with it. If I don't have to think or focus I may as well just stare at a wall. If there's no complex strategy involved then I'll probably be bored to death in the first two minutes.

-Not luck-based: If you can't win just because the game doesn't want you to, it's not for me (what the fuck was I thinking signing up for CB lol).

HOWEVER, some random element should exist. A game's no fun either if you could literally write a bot that could clear the game as many times as you want it to. Because at that point, it isn't skill, it's just memorization.

-Replay value: For the most part, the games I look back on and think "I really enjoyed this" were all ones that'd take up three-digit hours of my time, if not four. Not a constant thing but I like games to last a long time.

-Aesthetics: Not so much graphical quality as qualities of the graphics themselves. Artwork style or even 3D vs sprites (sprite-based art is one of the things I love most about many Nippon Ichi strategy RPGs like Phantom Brave and Disgaea) can really make or break a game for me.

-Balance (PvP games): Obvious enough. I like a degree of imbalance in PvE games since it can add an extra layer of challenge to use weaker characters.

-Variety: The more there is to play as or fight against, the longer the game stays fresh.

-Humor: Comedy makes everything great.

-Plot: Yessir.

My usual tastes lie with RPGs, usually difficult ones like Etrian Odyssey or lengthy ones like Disgaea, but I'll play any genre if it fits these qualities (TF2's my favorite game even though I dislike most FPSes, for example). Certain fighting games, bullet hells, and action/platformers are good too.

Last edited by Suguri on Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Stickboy
Master Poster
Master Poster
Stickboy

Male Posts : 2971

PostSubject: Re: Differences in gameing Taste by region   Differences in gameing Taste by region EmptyThu Jun 14, 2012 11:48 pm

I liek rpgs and first/3rd person games. Mostly are mmos. ._.
Back to top Go down
Asagi-san
Regular Poster
Regular Poster
Asagi-san

Male Posts : 434

PostSubject: Re: Differences in gameing Taste by region   Differences in gameing Taste by region EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 1:47 am

One of the obvious tastes I can point out between Japan and America in terms of gaming is that Japan favors difficulty more so than the U.S. One of the hardest games I've ever played was Adventure Island for the NES, and that game drove me to the point where I just gave up out of despair. Completing that game was just over-the-top ridiculous with all of its obstacles and planned traps. A more recent difficult Japanese VG series is the Souls series. Dark / Demon's Souls is certainly not for the casual gamer; if you think hacking your way through monsters is going to get you out alive with a bunch of gear, you'll just get your ass handed to you by even the weakest mob.

America doesn't have as many difficult games compared to Japan, but you could look at Diablo's infamous Hardcore mode. I liked Hardcore mode for the feeling of horror you get when the one life you have with your character as you're roaming around a dungeon is the only life you have - dying in Hardcore mode meant your character died. No respawns or any of that. You lost your character and whatever you were carrying (although your equipment would drop in D2, allowing co-op players to pick up your loot and hopefully save it for you). I know I was frustrated when my lvl 50 or so Paladin died in a boss fight because I forgot rejuvenation potions.
Back to top Go down
Zwiebel Force
Cosmic Onion
Zwiebel Force

Male Posts : 11444

PostSubject: Re: Differences in gameing Taste by region   Differences in gameing Taste by region EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 2:14 am

Really can't say what makes a game interesting for me. Good gameplay is important, but I can completely ignore poopy gameplay if the story is interesting enough. I remember myself to enjoy Disgaea pretty much. That game had almost all I needed (I would have liked a few mini games to be honest): nice graphics (couldn't care less about them being 3d or not), awesome game play, an OMG-I-can't-stop-laughing-storyline and even a good reason to play it through again.

I used to say that I prefer RPGs, but ater I played a lot of games with unique graphics, or plots that weren't RPGs at all (ICO in example). Nowadays I'm completely busy with CB and a few other MMOs. I have a household to keep clean (my roomy barely does ._.) and work to do. I'd really like to play some offline stuff but that would require me to get a new console or at least some games and since I alway end-up going online and try to keep up those would just catch dust anyways.

One of our neighbors sometimes asks me about some older games and I sometimes do some derping with him. He just doesn't get how to StarOcean3 ;_;"

I guess if I had to name my favorite serieses it would be: Shin Megami Tensei (not Persona pig ), Seiken Densetsu, Sonic, Bloody Roar, Super Smash Bros and all the Nippon Ichi games I played. I remember that I used to instaboner when I heard about something from "Game Arts" but that company got eaten and I don't remember the games they made (prolly some RPGs, but I played too many RPGs to remember about anything in particular).

Reading the above answers I have to admit that I've never played many RPGs from non-japanese developers. I tried that one...mmh...Summoner? But that was some awkward German version with awkward German voice actors. German voice acting is a huge turn-off for me.
Back to top Go down
Midona
Adept Poster
Adept Poster
Midona

Male Posts : 608

PostSubject: Re: Differences in gameing Taste by region   Differences in gameing Taste by region EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 4:18 am

I'm French.

For what I know in France:
PC : A decent number of players, and there is more and more.
PS3 : Not very well sold, last of our country in term of number. A lot of use consider it a at way too expensive console, and with almost only games finished on less than 10 hours. Add to this that FF licence become worse and worse...
XBOX 360 : Not really better, considered as a cheaper console but with outrageous game price (~65-70 euro a new game), and too expensive in fee (Xbox live). Added with a too expensive system, Kinect.
Wii : Much more sell, considered as the perfect Family console. But not a big success because there is few games considered as good on this console.

My own experience :

Must haves :
- (not for MMO's) A good and credible story. When I play the game, I do not what to think "WTF are they kidding me?".
- Balanced difficulty. Too easy = waste of money. But I'm a player, not a worker and a too difficult game... Unfortunately games tend to be nodaway very easy (Not even dead more than once on a boss of Metroid Other M u_u")
- Length. 10h? Better playin' MMO.
- If possible, a multiplayer, even basic, that we can play for hours with friend
- A VERY HARD, final boss. Even if I don't like too much difficulty, when I'm about to finish the game I want to DIE, to have a GREAT moment (Metroid Prime > 30 try about, but I was a noob).
- A charismatic main character.
- Humour. Why so serious? Why so not played u_u"?

I don't really care but I can appreciate :
- Graphics. A well looking game make it better. But it's just a bonus
- Sound. Same but for ... sound !

The game with have everything of this ? An unknown one, not my favorite for some reasons but I spended not much for a great time : Metal Arms : Glitch in the system (gamecube game).
Back to top Go down
Tuskin
Do not charge RT
Tuskin

Male Posts : 2811

PostSubject: Re: Differences in gameing Taste by region   Differences in gameing Taste by region EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 4:33 am

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
boytitan2
Fishell
Fishell

Male Posts : 8639

PostSubject: Re: Differences in gameing Taste by region   Differences in gameing Taste by region EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 1:33 pm

Tuskin wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Over here in U.S. xbox did good. My fav games for it were project gotham racing, far cry instincts and halo 2 all games that did well for a reason. Predator mode in far cry was the funnest shit ever

Predator mode online in farcry was sinful fun theres nthn like running full speed jumping a 100 feet ledge to slice some ones throat.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Differences in gameing Taste by region   Differences in gameing Taste by region Empty

Back to top Go down

Differences in gameing Taste by region
Page 1 of 1