Cosmic Break
Welcome! to the Unofficial Fan Forums Please read the rules as soon as you can. It will only take a few minutes of your time to do so. If you are not willing to read them, you might not be here for long! Enjoy your stay and don't get into trouble.

Click here for Forum Rules

Click here for Cosmic Break Guides

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

(Shotgun Review) Mossberg 500

Go down 
+4
Ragna
werty16
NovaZero
FlyingTofu
8 posters
AuthorMessage

(Shotgun Review) Mossberg 500  Empty
PostSubject: (Shotgun Review) Mossberg 500    (Shotgun Review) Mossberg 500  EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 3:03 am

Here is my review for the Mossberg 500. The thread will be updated when more information about the weapon is obtained, after firing it.

Maker: Mossberg
Model: 500 Persuader
Guage: 12
Chambers: 2 3/4" and 3" ammunition interchangeably
Magazine: Holds 7+1 (8 total with 7 in magazine and 1 ready to fire)
Barrel: 20" with cylinder-chocked bore
Sight(s): Bead
Optics: None (Comes drilled and ready for certain rails, such as weaver)
Features: Top mounted safety for easy right or left handed use
Also included: Free gun lock and 10 year limited warranty

Picture: https://2img.net/r/ihimizer/img15/65/moss500new.jpg

Review: Right out of the box, the Mossberg 500 Persuader just made me smile. I instantly pulled everything out and reviewed my weapon. The first thing I did was made sure that no shells were in the magazine as well as checking the ejection port to make sure that no shell was ready to fire. Even tho I purchased the shotgun at Big 5, it is a MUST to always check to make sure that your firearm is not loaded when you mess around with it and the safety is always on, at least until you are ready to fire the weapon. After that, I took off the barrel and cleaned the entire weapon from any dust that I could see. I placed the barrel back on and screwed on the little part that you place at the end of the tubular magazine to attach a sling (not included) that came in a little paper bag. I attached my own sling that was originally used for a rifle of mine. You can buy slings at Walmart for cheap. The shotgun without any shells is a moderate weight. The overall length of the weapon is medium for a shotgun. The barrel is 20" long, 8" shorter than most hunting length barrels. However, it is a bit longer than shorter barrel shotguns. The stock is removable with just a few screws. Meaning a pistol grip CAN be placed on the 500 with ease. The weapon can easily go from a home defense shotgun with a 20" barrel and pistol grip to a 28" barrel with a standard stock. You can unscrew the barrel by hand. A different model of the 500 comes with a shorter barrel. Note the 8shot 500 Persuader can NOT go under a 20" barrel due to the magazine being so long. The standard bead sight does its job, but should be replaced ASAP. Contrary to popular beliefs, you still need to aim most shotguns like any other firearm. The 500 is ready for rails, such as the weaver rail. I plan on getting a weaver rail and then mounting a reflex "red dot" sight onto it once I find both. The forestock offers a good amount of grip and the rubber of the butt seems to offer enough padding for at least small buckshot. I've not fired this weapon yet, but it seems the rubber would not be good enough to hold against higher buckshot and slugs. I plan on getting a pistol grip for home defense. As for a standard stock, I might have to upgrade for a softer butt to keep my shoulder from exploding after a few shots of higher buckshot or slugs, which I DO plan to fire. Best part is, the gun came with a free gun lock that makes it impossible to load or fire shells. With California laws, this allowed me to save a few hundred dollars from buying a gun safe instead. So far so good. I've fired the Mossberg 500 a few years back with different styles. I've not had a chance to fire a 20" 8shot like this tho. However, with a few changes, I can see this being my new favorite firearm. Updates will be made once the weapon is actually fired and tested. I plan on going to the target range and maybe shooting skeet in two weeks.

Last edited by Mayhem on Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
FlyingTofu
FlyingTofu

PostSubject: Re: (Shotgun Review) Mossberg 500    (Shotgun Review) Mossberg 500  EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 4:39 am

Oh, you were talking about a REAL shotgun.
O.O, don't shoot me No
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: (Shotgun Review) Mossberg 500    (Shotgun Review) Mossberg 500  EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 5:08 am

FlyingTofu wrote:
Oh, you were talking about a REAL shotgun.
O.O, don't shoot me No

For your question in the other thread...

Shotguns WITH a wide area can be good. For the most part, it depends on the choke of the barrel and not really the length. Chokes allow the pellets to stick together more, the more choke it has. However, you can not fire slugs through a barrel that allows pellets to avoid spreading so much. A shotgun with the standard cylinder bore is going to be good at about 20m or less away since the spread is big. Beyond 20m, you will not hit the target with enough pellets for it to be effective but will be able to use massive bullets called slugs at farther ranges if needed. With a choke, you will not be able to use a slug, but your pellets will stick closer together and thus be effective to up to 40m-60m away. But at closer ranges, the spread will make it harder to hit fast moving things or cover enough of the target with pellets if you did not hit in a vital spot. It will also literally destroy small game up close, thus leaving you with nothing to bring back to stuff the beast and place it up on a wall or get good meat out of it... Which will just be ALL OVER THE PLACE.

High spread is good for home defense due to it being effective at close range. It is also good for hunting at close to medium range. Those barrels will accept a certain kind of slug that can be used for "long range". Slugs will travel a good distance and produce a big hole in what ever you hit. BUT, rifles still produce way more power and penetration at longer ranges.

Low spread is good for skeet shooting clays at a longer range, or by pro skeet shooters that can hit a clay without a high spread. You will also have a more effective range. However, you risk obliterating anything that gets too close and will not be able to use slugs. Low spread barrels are not such a good choice for home defense. Less spread means you will most likely blow through the intruder and then a couple of walls behind him, taking out anything in the way since it produces more penetration working with the pellets close together. It should be noted that normal high spread barrels will also blow through a wall or so even with the weakest ammo for a 12guage. However, you have less a change of killing everything in your shotguns path. If you are living in the middle of no where with no one living with you and you have no neighbors and also do not care for your belongings in your home, you could use a low spread to annihilate anything that breaks into your home. Otherwise, don't use it for home defense.

Besides chokes, you also have to worry about your ammo types. There are three basic shotgun rounds you will find as a civilian. Birdshot produces a high amount of pellets. However, these pellets are smaller than buckshot, thus creating less force and less killing power with the upside of more "peppering". Like the name suggests, birdshot works good for birds and other small game. Buckshot tends to come with less pellets, but they are larger and thus create more force and killing power. Like the name suggests, buckshot is good for medium to large game, such as deer (buck). Slug is just one giant bullet... This bitch creates the most force and killing power but lacks the spread. On the upside, it will take down anything massive and leave a giant hole in what you shot. Possible uses are for killing bears. Note that each type comes in a variety. Bird and buck can come in different pellet amounts while slug can come in rifled or un-rifled for example.

Another important thing is barrel length. As far as I know, the most common lengths would be 20" and 28". To put it simple, use a 20" for home defense or in close spaces and a 28" for hunting or wide open areas.

Last edited by Mayhem on Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
NovaZero
Grand Poster
Grand Poster
NovaZero

Male Posts : 3141
Location : Bouncing on one of the Hurricane Arrows at Angel Academy

PostSubject: Re: (Shotgun Review) Mossberg 500    (Shotgun Review) Mossberg 500  EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 7:35 am

You're not gonna use full water containers just to see how much force each weapon gives out, are you?

Because that's a complete waste of good water.
Back to top Go down
werty16
Regular Poster
Regular Poster
werty16

Male Posts : 224

PostSubject: Re: (Shotgun Review) Mossberg 500    (Shotgun Review) Mossberg 500  EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 9:06 am

gratz on gettin the gun i guess...
have fun XD
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: (Shotgun Review) Mossberg 500    (Shotgun Review) Mossberg 500  EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 9:29 pm

UPDATE: Added a new better picture to replace the crappy old one.

NovaZero wrote:
You're not gonna use full water containers just to see how much force each weapon gives out, are you?

Because that's a complete waste of good water.

Actually, whenever I or someone else I know uses water containers, we just buy an empty one and fill it with crap water from dirty canals, ect ect.

werty16 wrote:
have fun XD

Thanks! I plan on having a lot of fun with it, trust me. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ragna
Newcomer
Newcomer
Ragna

Male Posts : 6

PostSubject: Re: (Shotgun Review) Mossberg 500    (Shotgun Review) Mossberg 500  EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 3:00 am

werty16 wrote:
have fun XD

>XD

all of my rage
Back to top Go down
milk
Ace Poster
Ace Poster
milk

Male Posts : 1918

PostSubject: Re: (Shotgun Review) Mossberg 500    (Shotgun Review) Mossberg 500  EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 5:11 am

I still cannot believe that you have such an amazing collection of weapons at you disposal, Mayhem.
It really does boggle my mind, man.
I even bet you're not that much older than me!
That makes things even more..."WHOA"
If I'm not making much sense that's ok.
I get that a lot of people don't understand me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: (Shotgun Review) Mossberg 500    (Shotgun Review) Mossberg 500  EmptyThu Sep 16, 2010 2:19 pm

Little update, I was unable to fire the 500 this weekend as it turns out the range I was looking to go to requires you to be a member. I might join, but until then I will just visit my buddy and shoot at his home made range. *He lives on a ranch outside of town* However, I was able to spend around 200usd to better my shotgun and myself. I've replaced the hard buttpad with a new soft one that was recommended to me. As for a reflex sight, I decided to go with a snap on front sight instead. It's a little red glowing strip of plastic that you will see on some shotguns if they did not come with a bead sight. I also got myself a bore snake and other cleaning things for the shotgun. Besides that, I got myself some new BDU pants and a new survival knife. Note, I already have camo pants and big ol knives but I could not help myself.
Back to top Go down
Desu
Master Poster
Master Poster
Desu

Male Posts : 2015

PostSubject: Re: (Shotgun Review) Mossberg 500    (Shotgun Review) Mossberg 500  EmptyThu Sep 16, 2010 8:42 pm

My only question is.

Is this shotgun effective at killing masses of zombies if the event of a zombie apocalypse should occur?
Back to top Go down
http://www.tinychat.com/asianchinks

PostSubject: Re: (Shotgun Review) Mossberg 500    (Shotgun Review) Mossberg 500  EmptyThu Sep 16, 2010 9:57 pm

Desu wrote:
My only question is.

Is this shotgun effective at killing masses of zombies if the event of a zombie apocalypse should occur?

Since zombies only die with a shot/hit to the head, I'd say no. With that, it means all firearms are the same. 1 shot, to the head, or else. I'd rather take my 45 handgun. However, I'd still take my shotgun just in case the zombies are soldiers or swat wearing helmets and I want to make sure I either blow that helmet off or blow right through it with a slug. This would make for a good support/backup gun with the 8 shots. Otherwise, I'd stick with a 45 or maybe 9mm handgun for my normal zombie slaying duties.
Back to top Go down
Mew
The Ultimate Negro
Mew

Female Posts : 1540

PostSubject: Re: (Shotgun Review) Mossberg 500    (Shotgun Review) Mossberg 500  EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 7:35 pm

Oh that's actually a pretty good shotgun.

I was wondering if anyone in this forum knows if the SPAZ is also good.
Back to top Go down
Relict?
[Moderator]
[Moderator]
Relict?

Male Posts : 5786

PostSubject: Re: (Shotgun Review) Mossberg 500    (Shotgun Review) Mossberg 500  EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 7:37 pm

necro holy shit
Back to top Go down
milk
Ace Poster
Ace Poster
milk

Male Posts : 1918

PostSubject: Re: (Shotgun Review) Mossberg 500    (Shotgun Review) Mossberg 500  EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 8:27 pm

locking.
don't do it again, mew.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: (Shotgun Review) Mossberg 500    (Shotgun Review) Mossberg 500  Empty

Back to top Go down

(Shotgun Review) Mossberg 500
Page 1 of 1