Cosmic Break
Welcome! to the Unofficial Fan Forums Please read the rules as soon as you can. It will only take a few minutes of your time to do so. If you are not willing to read them, you might not be here for long! Enjoy your stay and don't get into trouble.

Click here for Forum Rules

Click here for Cosmic Break Guides

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Buying a new computer

Go down 
+6
Suguri
Astral_Dono
Aria
Nisa
Klinkin
pipcard
10 posters
AuthorMessage
pipcard
Regular Poster
Regular Poster
pipcard

Buying a new computer Empty
PostSubject: Buying a new computer   Buying a new computer EmptyTue Aug 30, 2011 9:46 pm

What are the recommended computer specs for this game? My laptop can barely run this. I want to run this with minimum lag.
Back to top Go down
Klinkin
Regular Poster
Regular Poster
Klinkin

Male Posts : 227

PostSubject: Re: Buying a new computer   Buying a new computer EmptyTue Aug 30, 2011 10:10 pm

I've got no clue what the minimum specs are, but do yourself a favor and get a good computer that'll last you a while. These days, you're looking at 4GB RAM, at 500GB-1TB hard drive, 2.5GHz or so dual-core processor, and a GPU with at least 512 MB VRAM; that'll let you run most anything out there on decent settings and should last you a few years.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Buying a new computer   Buying a new computer EmptyTue Aug 30, 2011 11:55 pm

Trust me, you don't need a super fast computer that costs you over $3000, not even $1500.
It's going to cost you at a maximum $1200 but you should be aiming for around $800. Klinkin has suggested some really nice specs so I'm going to expand on that.

- Get a cheap LCD monitor, or keep the one you already have and you can save $150-$200. If you do get one, I suggest a 21.5 inch widescreen LCD to be your minimum choice.
- The CPU should cost you around $80-$150 (I suggest at least 2.5GHz), get Intel i5 because they're just better than AMD.
- The motherboard shouldn't be that hard to choose, just get a cheap one for around $80-$130
- Graphics Card should have at least 512MB, and I suggest get ATi because they're cheaper and have more performance to cost ratio.
- You should have at least 2GB RAM, and I suggest getting DDR3 at 1333MHz because they're dirt cheap these days. I reccomend 4GB though because most games these days are very demanding.
- Hard drive, 500GB should be your minimum amount of storage you should be aiming for. 1TB is already enough to hold your collection of pirated goods so feel free to torrent.
- To hold all the goodies you need a decent case that will set you back $50 - $100, make sure its a good quality case but you don't want it too fancy.
- Your power supply should be at least 500W, and make sure that it is not some cheap asian brand because they tend to screw up your computer, get a good quality one which is $100-$150
- The computer and mouse, if your current ones are using USB ports then keep them, if not get a brand new set for around $30-$70
- If you're worried about the sound card, most motherboards have one built in, I suggest don't buy one because you're sticking to a $1200 budget

If there is anything I've missed, let me know.
Back to top Go down
Nisa
God Poster
God Poster
Nisa

Female Posts : 7152

PostSubject: Re: Buying a new computer   Buying a new computer EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 4:41 am

something that cost more than $200?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Buying a new computer   Buying a new computer EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 5:03 am

Nisa wrote:
Thank you Captain Obvious.
Back to top Go down
Aria
Master Poster
Master Poster
Aria

Male Posts : 2859

PostSubject: Re: Buying a new computer   Buying a new computer EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 5:07 am

http://www.xfire.com/profile/nezumi900/#game_rig

Moo.
Back to top Go down
Astral_Dono
野獣先輩
野獣先輩

Male Posts : 7875

PostSubject: Re: Buying a new computer   Buying a new computer EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 5:07 am

LXE wrote:
Nisa wrote:
Thank you Captain Obvious.

Buying a new computer Captain_obviousaward

(Picture relevant)

Last edited by Astral_Goddess on Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Suguri
God Poster
God Poster
Suguri

Female Posts : 7765

PostSubject: Re: Buying a new computer   Buying a new computer EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 5:10 am

No posts consisting only of image macros allowed, Astral.

Even if they're incredibly relevant.

LXE wrote:
$1200 budget
The specs you gave at that price are worse than my laptop, which cost me about the same amount. I think you should be able to either do that for less, or do better for that cost.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Buying a new computer   Buying a new computer EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 5:26 am

Suguri wrote:
LXE wrote:
$1200 budget
The specs you gave at that price are worse than my laptop, which cost me about the same amount. I think you should be able to either do that for less, or do better for that cost.
A LAPTOP WITH THE SAME SPECS CANNOT BE COMPARED TO A DESKTOP

Reason being is that in a laptop, the parts are confined to a small amount of space rather than a desktop they are widely spread out. Since the parts are so closely bunched up together, the amount of heat is an issue, so to solve this the performance of the laptop is severely cut down and reduced so that it will not produce as much heat.

For example we have a 2.5GHz Desktop CPU and its Laptop version, they seem to have the same specs however, the laptop CPU will have significantly less transistors inside it than the Desktop CPU. The same can be said for Graphics Cards.

Also, as I said before, heat is a problem since the components are tightly packed together, so theres an issue with ventilation and cooling. Air can not flow as freely in a Laptop compared to a Desktop because in such a small amount of room, the cooling fan barely fits inside it. In a desktop, the problem is not as big of an issue as it is in a laptop.

Technically, the specs I gave are actually on par, if not better than a laptop. The pricing may be out of date because I haven't looked into computers for a long time now.
Back to top Go down
koi
Regular Poster
Regular Poster
koi

Female Posts : 388

PostSubject: Re: Buying a new computer   Buying a new computer EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 6:41 am

You want a PC for cosmicbreak?

Get youself the fastest CPU you can afford (i7 2600k is the best choice for you), at least 2GB of RAM (though buy 8 since 8GB kit is only $50) and any videocard, anything like nvidia 250/450 will be fine (no ATI though).

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Buying a new computer   Buying a new computer EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 7:50 am

koi wrote:
anything like nvidia 250/450 will be fine (no ATI though).
I like nVidia better for some reason, why the hell did I suggest ATi? I'm so stupid.
Back to top Go down
Nisa
God Poster
God Poster
Nisa

PostSubject: Re: Buying a new computer   Buying a new computer EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 8:51 am

LXE wrote:
koi wrote:
I like nVidia better for some reason, why the hell did I suggest ATi? I'm so stupid.

Don't need to say that,we know.
Back to top Go down
pipcard
Regular Poster
Regular Poster
pipcard

PostSubject: Re: Buying a new computer   Buying a new computer EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 10:15 am

I just plan on playing this game, and Minecraft. No "high-end" games.
Back to top Go down
Nisa
God Poster
God Poster
Nisa

PostSubject: Re: Buying a new computer   Buying a new computer EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 10:53 am

pipcard wrote:

get high end computer anyway.

computer's last pretty long enough.
Back to top Go down
Nilla
Adept Poster
Adept Poster
Nilla

Male Posts : 828

PostSubject: Re: Buying a new computer   Buying a new computer EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 12:30 pm

Yeah I built my comp for about $900

2lz to type what I have so I just used dxdiag. Only time I've lagged is when I'm uploading youtube videos or have 4 or so games open at once
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Divinity
Regular Poster
Regular Poster
Divinity

Male Posts : 262

PostSubject: Re: Buying a new computer   Buying a new computer EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 1:14 pm

I recommend this:

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
http://www.cosmicbreak.com/commu/?m=pc&a=page_f_home&tar
Suguri
God Poster
God Poster
Suguri

Female Posts : 7765

PostSubject: Re: Buying a new computer   Buying a new computer EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 1:18 pm

Divinity wrote:
I recommend this:

Spoiler:
I'm fapping already.

@Nilla: Yeah that sounds a lot more accurate considering the specs.
Back to top Go down
LordShade
Ace Poster
Ace Poster
LordShade

Male Posts : 1236

PostSubject: Re: Buying a new computer   Buying a new computer EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 2:04 pm

Divinity wrote:
I recommend this:

Spoiler:

>alienware

>mfw I could buy all those parts listed there for under 3000

what gives them the right to charge 8300 bucks.

its almost as bad as Apple!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Buying a new computer   Buying a new computer EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 5:07 pm

pipcard wrote:
In that case, a $800 low end computer would do.
Nisa wrote:
LXE wrote:
koi wrote:

Don't need to say that,we know.
Don't need to point that out Captain Obvious.
Back to top Go down
pipcard
Regular Poster
Regular Poster
pipcard

PostSubject: Re: Buying a new computer   Buying a new computer EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 9:56 am

I've already decided to buy a pre-built computer. I worried about building my own because the parts may not fit, or it may overheat because I picked the wrong parts. My budget is about $500 to $600, and I think I can get a decent computer that can also play this game, as well as Minecraft.

By the way, I don't pirate software.
Back to top Go down
Nilla
Adept Poster
Adept Poster
Nilla

Male Posts : 828

PostSubject: Re: Buying a new computer   Buying a new computer EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 12:55 pm

pipcard wrote:
I've already decided to buy a pre-built computer. I worried about building my own because the parts may not fit, or it may overheat because I picked the wrong parts. My budget is about $500 to $600, and I think I can get a decent computer that can also play this game, as well as Minecraft.

That won't happen unless you get bad psu. Every other part won't even go together unless they're compatible. I'm sure people wouldn't mind helping you select the right parts.

Back to top Go down
pipcard
Regular Poster
Regular Poster
pipcard

PostSubject: Re: Buying a new computer   Buying a new computer EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 8:18 pm

Nilla wrote:
pipcard wrote:

That won't happen unless you get bad psu. Every other part won't even go together unless they're compatible. I'm sure people wouldn't mind helping you select the right parts.

Too much of a hassle to build a computer. And I don't need that Alienware stuff.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Buying a new computer   Buying a new computer Empty

Back to top Go down

Buying a new computer
Page 1 of 1