Cosmic Break
Welcome! to the Unofficial Fan Forums Please read the rules as soon as you can. It will only take a few minutes of your time to do so. If you are not willing to read them, you might not be here for long! Enjoy your stay and don't get into trouble.

Click here for Forum Rules

Click here for Cosmic Break Guides

HomeSearchRegisterLog in

What Guard Skill cant an AIR live without?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
zachie69
Regular Poster
Regular Poster
zachie69

Male Posts : 139

What Guard Skill cant an AIR live without? Empty
PostSubject: What Guard Skill cant an AIR live without?   What Guard Skill cant an AIR live without? EmptySat Apr 30, 2011 12:26 am

They always say that your enemies would rather shoot you than try to melee you so it should be BEAM GUARD.

But with so many airs using dual slayers and with many vanguard fencers able to reach up to the sky, i find myself brought down more often by melee attacks than beam weapons.

My seraph is lvl 8 and I rely heavily in my seraph wings. my Current cartridge is:

CAP x6
Quick boost x1
Improve internal x1

Since its x3 EXP in arena, lvl 10 is almost within reach and lvl 9 cart is reserved for a second internal upgrade. What guard skill, if any, should I take?
Back to top Go down
Suguri
God Poster
God Poster
Suguri

Female Posts : 7765

PostSubject: Re: What Guard Skill cant an AIR live without?   What Guard Skill cant an AIR live without? EmptySat Apr 30, 2011 12:32 am

The only melee I worry about is flechas/frau when I'm playing air. I won't say that I haven't been hit by vanguards, but when I am it's because I ran out of boost in a bad location, not because I was flying two feet above his head.

With beam guard, you're making yourself that much more durable against non-zooka airs. Which usually means anyone running alpha builds, certain locked-part bots (i.e. helingal), bots with low wlk, or L-airs.

Shell guard is useless.

Honestly, you can survive as an air without any of them. Of the three though, beam guard takes top priority.
Back to top Go down
zachie69
Regular Poster
Regular Poster
zachie69

Male Posts : 139

PostSubject: Re: What Guard Skill cant an AIR live without?   What Guard Skill cant an AIR live without? EmptySat Apr 30, 2011 12:56 am

how about dual slayer seraphs? I always end up in a dogfight with one of those almost every match.
Back to top Go down
Shaftronics
Adept Poster
Adept Poster
Shaftronics

Male Posts : 649

PostSubject: Re: What Guard Skill cant an AIR live without?   What Guard Skill cant an AIR live without? EmptySat Apr 30, 2011 12:59 am

Airs only use single Slayers, random FYI. They're annoying, hurt quite a bit and can cost you a life, but if you have one too, its a fair battle. Sword Guard can be good, but it won't be significant. If you get swiped by a Vanguard off the air, chances are, you're going to die anyway, lol.

Beam-guard wise, makes you much more durable against Alpha-Airs, or someone with that tuned Limited Plasma or Wide Beam Gun who's either out of zooka rounds or just doesn't have one.
Back to top Go down
FireKiller87
Ace Poster
Ace Poster
FireKiller87

Male Posts : 1708

PostSubject: Re: What Guard Skill cant an AIR live without?   What Guard Skill cant an AIR live without? EmptySat Apr 30, 2011 1:51 am

Beam Guard is best, since if you're being hit by melee it's either a Vanguard or you failed to land in a safe location.

I'd really go without the guard carts if you're going 2x Seraph Internal as you'll probably be fast enough/high enough to dodge everything.
Back to top Go down
Hellenisti
Regular Poster
Regular Poster
Hellenisti

Male Posts : 184

PostSubject: Re: What Guard Skill cant an AIR live without?   What Guard Skill cant an AIR live without? EmptySat Apr 30, 2011 1:54 am

Guards are for pussies. You could use the carts for something else like Quick Jump, or Stealth (inb4 broad radar).
Back to top Go down
Shaftronics
Adept Poster
Adept Poster
Shaftronics

Male Posts : 649

PostSubject: Re: What Guard Skill cant an AIR live without?   What Guard Skill cant an AIR live without? EmptySat Apr 30, 2011 1:57 am

@Hellenisti wrote:
Guards are for pussies. You could use the carts for something else like Quick Jump, or Stealth (inb4 broad radar).

Both carts you named are pretty unecessary/shitty.

True Stealth = Broad Radar + Sniper Sight.
Back to top Go down
Gchan
Gchan

Male Posts : 78

PostSubject: Re: What Guard Skill cant an AIR live without?   What Guard Skill cant an AIR live without? EmptySat Apr 30, 2011 2:02 am

My tesladonna has sword and beam guards... since i usually fly close (i mean hugging the ground)

and dude.. a vangaurd fencer can hit you if you don't fly high enough.... or it jumps... argghh... my seraph gets hit often.. maybe it's just bad luck for running out of boost near one.

a lot of airs use slayers bits lately, its to stun other air (really, they stun)... so sword guard for protection... nad if you face a lot of shooters using shell weapons (patty....) use shell guard... a lot of beam weapons are easy to dodge imho...
(not counting railgun)

but anyway, I don't feel the guard effects AT ALL so you might as well trash them for
broad radar and sniper sight ---- best defense ever... stealth system is kinda wasteful.
Back to top Go down
FireKiller87
Ace Poster
Ace Poster
FireKiller87

Male Posts : 1708

PostSubject: Re: What Guard Skill cant an AIR live without?   What Guard Skill cant an AIR live without? EmptySat Apr 30, 2011 2:05 am

@Hellenisti wrote:

Oh?
Case in point: Structure Breaker. Force:50.
Damage to anything with Blast Guard: 7.

Still think guards are for pussies?

Stealth is high cost and redundant on Seraph as you'll be flying outside almost every enemy's effective range. Same thing with Sniper Sight.
Quick Jump is nice to have but I do just fine without it.
I would invest that extra cart into Stun Regain, as Seraph has fairly low TGH but high HP.
Back to top Go down
Suguri
God Poster
God Poster
Suguri

Female Posts : 7765

PostSubject: Re: What Guard Skill cant an AIR live without?   What Guard Skill cant an AIR live without? EmptySat Apr 30, 2011 2:08 am

@FireKiller87 wrote:
@Hellenisti wrote:

Oh?
Case in point: Structure Breaker. Force:50.
Damage to anything with Blast Guard: 7.

Still think guards are for pussies?
That would be lag causing a phantom hit while you still got hit by the blast radius. Structure Breaker on a 10 tec bot would deal 45 to a blast guarded bot.
Back to top Go down
Kitouski
Ace Poster
Ace Poster
Kitouski

Male Posts : 1054

PostSubject: Re: What Guard Skill cant an AIR live without?   What Guard Skill cant an AIR live without? EmptySat Apr 30, 2011 2:18 am

EDIT: Suguri is right on the Structure Breaker thing btw... I use them quite a bit, lawl.

Answering your question specifically, I'd suggest the Beam Guard highly over Melee Guard for the same reason Suguri mentioned. Shell Guard is a joke and if you get knocked out of the air by Vanguards, I'm bewildered. Slayers and melee AIR is a bit of a problem, but I'd like to think you take beam damage much more often then that.

I wouldn't bother with the stealth carts considering most Seraphs are in and out, but it also gives people a hard lead to find you when you're attacking them. Quick Jump could be good be good but I haven't had enough experience with it myself... honestly not a Seraph is not my specialty in any way (I'm not fond of AIRs) but I don't see as much a use coming out of Melee Guard as Beam Guard.
Back to top Go down
http://www.kito.winterwing.com
SkyPanic
Adept Poster
Adept Poster
SkyPanic

Male Posts : 775

PostSubject: Re: What Guard Skill cant an AIR live without?   What Guard Skill cant an AIR live without? EmptySat Apr 30, 2011 2:44 am

you can get any guard except Shell guard and you can live fine without guard cart

but
sword guard + beam guard = anti frau LG

i rmb my seraph stuck and adius 's frau come to kick me
even i got slowed but i live like 45s before died and almost get him, lol lol!
Back to top Go down
reVelske
Grand Poster
Grand Poster
reVelske

Male Posts : 3758

PostSubject: Re: What Guard Skill cant an AIR live without?   What Guard Skill cant an AIR live without? EmptySat Apr 30, 2011 5:21 am

Taking a Guard to counter a specific bot/build = waste.

As much as Frau kicks are devastating, unless you get kicked by that crap every single match, it'd just be silly to get a cartridge specifically for it. Besides, the most problematic Frau kicks are the slow tuned ones, and no guard is gonna save you from dying to that.

@Shaftronics wrote:
Both (Quick Jump, or Stealth) carts you named are pretty unecessary/shitty.

Quick Jump has its uses, 1. To drastically improve hop, 2. To give you better altitude if you don't have Birckgale BS/Tengu BS/Vanish Jump.

As an Air unit, getting good altitude should be one of your top priorities, and if you are a BS-less unit like Seraph or Air Raider, you should definitely consider getting Quick Jump to help you maximize the altitude advantage you need. Aaaand Seraph makes for a decent air hopper, so Quick Jump is twice as useful for her.

---

Death to Vanguard should always be accidental (eg. run out boost), if you are purposely flying low enough for vanguards to hit you, then that is your own problem. Besides, no Sword Guard is going to save you from getting chopped up by a Vanguard anyways.

And just to reemphasize my point about Air units with Beam Guard from another thread, it's only gonna help you against 3 4 things: Alphas, Frau kick beams, Plasma, SDC. With the amount of Alphas flying around, it can justify taking Beam Guard. Getting Frau kick? Isn't common enough an occurrence if you are an Air, unless you are bad, of course. And the beam part of the kick isn't all that painful anyways. Plasma? Free frag, zooka it in the face and it'll be dead way before it can deal any significant damage to you. Sure, I've seen some Plasma Gun (not LPG) users who has high enough TEC to do some ridiculous damage, but those are rare, and again, zooka stunlock > them. SDC? It's rare that you'll find a SDC user stupid/bored enough to go after Air units when they could be doing so much more to the land dwellers.

Last edited by reVelske on Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:41 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What Guard Skill cant an AIR live without?   What Guard Skill cant an AIR live without? EmptySat Apr 30, 2011 5:36 am

Screw the guard skills, and get broad radar. Nuff said.

Off topic - And also, change your Signature, I've posted up the new ones (Click my Clan Signature to go to the clan page)
Back to top Go down
ziix
FOOOOOOOOO~
ziix

PostSubject: Re: What Guard Skill cant an AIR live without?   What Guard Skill cant an AIR live without? EmptySat Apr 30, 2011 5:42 am

I use beam guards on my main AIR bots. 20 cost to save you from alphags and random 40 tec SDC users is nice. Also, Aquila girl's homing blaster hurts a lot, and I seem to get shot by her often.
Back to top Go down
koi
Regular Poster
Regular Poster
koi

Female Posts : 388

PostSubject: Re: What Guard Skill cant an AIR live without?   What Guard Skill cant an AIR live without? EmptySat Apr 30, 2011 7:05 am

Beam guard.
It was useful enough vs. Stardust and plasma, then vs. ABR and MB air spammers, now Ah-chan with her homing blaster.
Sword guard, on the other hand, is not really useful.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What Guard Skill cant an AIR live without?   What Guard Skill cant an AIR live without? Empty

Back to top Go down

What Guard Skill cant an AIR live without?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cosmic Break :: Archives :: Cosmic Break :: Guides-
Jump to:  

Copyright©2007-2014 CyberStep, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Theme by, Sean

Create a forum on Forumotion | © phpBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com