Cosmic Break
Welcome! to the Unofficial Fan Forums Please read the rules as soon as you can. It will only take a few minutes of your time to do so. If you are not willing to read them, you might not be here for long! Enjoy your stay and don't get into trouble.

Click here for Forum Rules

Click here for Cosmic Break Guides

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A Tool for ppl who are lagging in Arena

Go down 
+8
Aria
mikuri
God is a Cat Girl
Scott-kip
GabeCello
Zwiebel Force
/dev/random
Silvraph
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Silvraph
Regular Poster
Regular Poster
Silvraph

A Tool for ppl who are lagging in Arena Empty
PostSubject: A Tool for ppl who are lagging in Arena   A Tool for ppl who are lagging in Arena EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 12:45 pm

I'm reposing my thread from CB site to see what kinda stats you guys are having.
CB is programmed badly /shakemyhead

P.S. can some mod help me post the link cause I'm not allowed to

Quote :
I got a diagnostic tool for those of you who are having lag due to frame rate issues (not due to internet connection)

GPUZ www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

run GPUZ while you are in a laggy arena and monitor what your GPU load is.

I'm suspecting you are lagging not because of a bad computer, but it's because CB simply doesn't utilize your gpu at all when the game is running.

For Example:
During CB Arena my GPU load is between 0-3% (0% most of the time)
while playing other graphics intensive games (such as Dragon Age) my GPU load is typically 80%+ with no lag issue at all.

This proves that my Graphics card is not working while CB is playing but being utilized while playing other properly programmed games.

Plz post your result
Graphics card name:
GPU load during CB arena

Thnx

List of Cards being utlized

8800GT (Nvidia Desktop Card)
GTX 670 (Nvidia Deskop Card)

List of Cards NOt being utlized

Mobility HD 5650 (ATI laptop card)

Last edited by Silvraph on Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
/dev/random
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

PostSubject: Re: A Tool for ppl who are lagging in Arena   A Tool for ppl who are lagging in Arena EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 1:59 pm

Quote :
I'm suspecting you are lagging not because of a bad computer, but it's because CB simply doesn't utilize your gpu at all when the game is running.
Quote :
This proves that my Graphics card is not working while CB is playing but being utilized while playing other properly programmed games.

No, you silly goose. Your card is working while playing CB, it's just that it doesn't even need a 1% of its power to render a frame because the graphics are as complex as they were 10 years ago.

CB's bottleneck is the CPU, thanks to their magnificent programming skills and their decision to use java to code a game.
Back to top Go down
Silvraph
Regular Poster
Regular Poster
Silvraph

PostSubject: Re: A Tool for ppl who are lagging in Arena   A Tool for ppl who are lagging in Arena EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 2:03 pm

how can a low-end graphic game like CB only use 1% of my graphic card (while lagging really hard)

and high-end graphic games like CoD use 80%+ of my graphic card (while running smoothly)

If CB is utilizing my GPU shouldn't it be 3%+ while making the game run smoothly
The situation where the game is lagging but GPU is still not used means CB is not using all the hardware resources available (in this case the GPU)

In an example of a high end graphic card GTX570, it still uses about 30% to run this game smoothly.

In my case of 5650HD (a mid range card) shouldn't it take more to run this game theoretically?

Plus I have a decent CPU (4 cores running at 2.16Ghz)

If CB is utilizing my GPU, it should be 90%+ b4 the game would start to lag

Last edited by Silvraph on Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Tool for ppl who are lagging in Arena   A Tool for ppl who are lagging in Arena EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 2:08 pm

Do you even Java?
Back to top Go down
Silvraph
Regular Poster
Regular Poster
Silvraph

PostSubject: Re: A Tool for ppl who are lagging in Arena   A Tool for ppl who are lagging in Arena EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 2:09 pm

the game is run on Java?

Edit: After finding jre folder in CB folder, I guess it is run on java

Basically I'm trying to figure out what kind of rig my laptop would need to run this game smoothly

I know CB runs smoothly when it's played on Desktop (even with a lower spec)
but lags if it's on a laptop (with a higher spec) b/c the game doesn't utilize the laptop GPU

Last edited by Silvraph on Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Zwiebel Force
Cosmic Onion
Zwiebel Force

Male Posts : 11444

PostSubject: Re: A Tool for ppl who are lagging in Arena   A Tool for ppl who are lagging in Arena EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 2:16 pm

I don't understand that much of technical details, etc, etc, but if I understood anything than it's this: CB doesn't run well on laptops.

/thread.
Back to top Go down
Silvraph
Regular Poster
Regular Poster
Silvraph

PostSubject: Re: A Tool for ppl who are lagging in Arena   A Tool for ppl who are lagging in Arena EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 2:20 pm

Zwiebel Force wrote:
I don't understand that much of technical details, etc, etc, but if I understood anything than it's this: CB doesn't run well on laptops.

/thread.

ya and I'm trying to figure out why.

I'm guessing this is because CB doesn't utilize laptop GPUs, I'm trying to find out which laptop GPU CB is compatible with.

I'm planning to buy a laptop in Xmas that will runs this game smoothly with no lag.
Back to top Go down
GabeCello
GabeCello

Male Posts : 43

PostSubject: Re: A Tool for ppl who are lagging in Arena   A Tool for ppl who are lagging in Arena EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 2:41 pm

Silvraph wrote:
Zwiebel Force wrote:

/thread.

I'm guessing this is because CB doesn't utilize laptop GPUs, I'm trying to find out which laptop GPU CB is compatible with.

I'm planning to buy a laptop in Xmas that will runs this game smoothly with no lag.
CB has MINIMAL GPU usage on both desktops and laptops. What it mostly uses though, is the CPU. And even if you have the best CPU on earth, this game is going to lag like ass because Cyberstep sucks at programming.
Back to top Go down
Silvraph
Regular Poster
Regular Poster
Silvraph

PostSubject: Re: A Tool for ppl who are lagging in Arena   A Tool for ppl who are lagging in Arena EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 2:44 pm

hmmm for those of you who have a laptop who runs this game smoothly...

May I know your laptop model and the specs?

I really want to buy a good one this Xmas
Back to top Go down
/dev/random
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

PostSubject: Re: A Tool for ppl who are lagging in Arena   A Tool for ppl who are lagging in Arena EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 4:18 pm

Silvraph wrote:

Because desktop PCs are faster than laptops.
Back to top Go down
Silvraph
Regular Poster
Regular Poster
Silvraph

PostSubject: Re: A Tool for ppl who are lagging in Arena   A Tool for ppl who are lagging in Arena EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 4:34 pm

/dev/random wrote:
Silvraph wrote:

Because desktop PCs are faster than laptops.

I'm guessing your desktop runs this game smoothly,

What's your spec?

and after locating the jre folder in CB folder, I realize this game is indeed run on java, which means there will be no gpu accelerations from amd graphics card (although in October of this year, AMD and Oracle agreed to work on a GPU-accerlated java www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-oracle-java,18090.html

I don't even know what's causing the game to lag on my laptop anymore.

After tweaking my gpu settings, and java memory allocations.

It is now using

50-60% of my CPU
10-20% of my GPU
while running CB

none of them is 90%+ and thus none of them would be the bottleneck cause for the lag.

Yet, I still have lag in CB arena...
Back to top Go down
Scott-kip
Adept Poster
Adept Poster
Scott-kip

Male Posts : 941

PostSubject: Re: A Tool for ppl who are lagging in Arena   A Tool for ppl who are lagging in Arena EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 6:00 pm

my desktop can barely run skyrim smoothly, but aside from the occasional freeze ups, and provided I turn off all audio CB can run like butter for me.
Back to top Go down
Silvraph
Regular Poster
Regular Poster
Silvraph

PostSubject: Re: A Tool for ppl who are lagging in Arena   A Tool for ppl who are lagging in Arena EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 6:20 pm

Scott-kip wrote:
my desktop can barely run skyrim smoothly, but aside from the occasional freeze ups, and provided I turn off all audio CB can run like butter for me.

What kinda specs man?

I need dem specs
A Tool for ppl who are lagging in Arena Y-u-no10

y no one provides dem specs?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Tool for ppl who are lagging in Arena   A Tool for ppl who are lagging in Arena EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 6:24 pm

Silvraph wrote:

I ran CosmicBreak on a 4 year old laptop and it ran like a breeze. (Graphics were a bit jittery but it was alright)

And it was a 4 year old low end laptop with only 1.8Ghz CPU, integrated graphics only.

The one I'm using now doesn't lag a whole lot (until recently when UberStep did that "lag" update on the MindBreak servers).
Back to top Go down
Silvraph
Regular Poster
Regular Poster
Silvraph

PostSubject: Re: A Tool for ppl who are lagging in Arena   A Tool for ppl who are lagging in Arena EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 6:33 pm

LXE wrote:
Silvraph wrote:

I ran CosmicBreak on a 4 year old laptop and it ran like a breeze. (Graphics were a bit jittery but it was alright)

And it was a 4 year old low end laptop with only 1.7Ghz CPU, integrated graphics only.

The one I'm using now doesn't lag a whole lot (until recently when UberStep did that "lag" update on the MindBreak servers).

WTF? now it just confuses me more on why this game run smoothly on that low-end laptop...

My current budget gaming laptop rig:

Acer Aspire 5552G
AMD Phenom II X4 N930 (Quad core clocked at 2.16Ghz)
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650
6 GB DDR3 RAM

The one I'm planning to buy for Xmas:
MSI GE70 0ND-032US Gaming Notebook
- Intel Core i7-3610QM (2.30GHz, Quad-Core) Processor
- 17.3" Full HD (1920x1080) non-Glare Display
- 8GB RAM
-1TB HDD
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M 2GB Graphics

but I'm afraid it may be a waste of $1.3k as CB may lag regardless...

currently my game is running between 40-70 FPS, but during lag spikes it drops below 20.
The spike happens quite often during big arena rooms
Back to top Go down
God is a Cat Girl
Guinea Pig Wearing Sweater
Guinea Pig Wearing Sweater

PostSubject: Re: A Tool for ppl who are lagging in Arena   A Tool for ppl who are lagging in Arena EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 7:22 pm

He probably didn't list the actual specs or even the number of cores, since a single core computer will shit itself to run CB 'cause of the coding and miraculous updates.

Hence, instead of fixing their code, they suggest people to get an i7.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Tool for ppl who are lagging in Arena   A Tool for ppl who are lagging in Arena EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 7:24 pm

$800 of a laptop is more than enough computing power to run a CosmicBreak.

You just need to know where to look.

Go to Lenovo and buy a ThinkPad Edge E530.

TIP - Get Windows 7 and not Windows 8.
Back to top Go down
mikuri
Adept Poster
Adept Poster
mikuri

PostSubject: Re: A Tool for ppl who are lagging in Arena   A Tool for ppl who are lagging in Arena EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 7:42 pm

Windows 8 is awesome, running it from day 1 and I can say it is way better than windows 7.
Some bugs, but they fix them pretty fast.

Else, Cosmic break lags even on high-end PC with very high Internet speeds 25/10 mbps in my case. The problem is the code itself, may it be JAVA or code optimisation. Or maybe their PentiumII servers.

Don't worry, your laptop is way over kill for this game, you should run it multiple times, if it was coded properly.
Back to top Go down
Silvraph
Regular Poster
Regular Poster
Silvraph

PostSubject: Re: A Tool for ppl who are lagging in Arena   A Tool for ppl who are lagging in Arena EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 8:27 pm

mikuri wrote:

Don't worry, your laptop is way over kill for this game, you should run it multiple times, if it was coded properly.

Do u mean my current one or the one I am getting?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Tool for ppl who are lagging in Arena   A Tool for ppl who are lagging in Arena EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 8:31 pm

Silvraph wrote:
mikuri wrote:

Both of them.
Back to top Go down
Scott-kip
Adept Poster
Adept Poster
Scott-kip

Male Posts : 941

PostSubject: Re: A Tool for ppl who are lagging in Arena   A Tool for ppl who are lagging in Arena EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 8:37 pm

Silvraph wrote:
Scott-kip wrote:

What kinda specs man?

I need dem specs

you must have a shitty comp because im using a cheap 330$ prebuilt

this thing cant even handle dx11 fucking lying dxdiag:
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Silvraph
Regular Poster
Regular Poster
Silvraph

PostSubject: Re: A Tool for ppl who are lagging in Arena   A Tool for ppl who are lagging in Arena EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 8:38 pm

LXE wrote:
Silvraph wrote:
mikuri wrote:

Both of them.

In that logic I really shouldn't buy the new laptop b/c it's the game architecture at fault, and getting a better laptop may not necessarily improve the performance...

Scott-kip wrote:
Silvraph wrote:
Scott-kip wrote:

What kinda specs man?

I need dem specs

you must have a shitty comp because im using a cheap 330$ prebuilt

this thing cant even handle dx11 fucking lying dxdiag:
Spoiler:

I noticed u have 3.0+GHz core speed on ur computer.

Perhaps its the core speed that matters when in comes to CB?
and not so dependent on the core numbers, core architecture, BUS speed, cache size, or GPU.

That explains why ur computer runs CB better when everything else on my laptop is better.
That would mean the new laptop will lag too due to its 2.3 GHz core speed.

In fact no laptop will have 3.0GHz core speed cause that will be major heating issue. (Laptops in general have poorer ventilation compared to any desktop)
And this would possibly indicate that no laptop will run CB smoothly unless u overclock it with extra external fans and risk it being burnt out
Back to top Go down
Aria
Master Poster
Master Poster
Aria

Male Posts : 2859

PostSubject: Re: A Tool for ppl who are lagging in Arena   A Tool for ppl who are lagging in Arena EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 8:56 pm

You should also check the temp of your GPU also when it's in idle and on-load (playing, ofc).
Back to top Go down
Silvraph
Regular Poster
Regular Poster
Silvraph

PostSubject: Re: A Tool for ppl who are lagging in Arena   A Tool for ppl who are lagging in Arena EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 9:00 pm

Aria wrote:
You should also check the temp of your GPU also when it's in idle and on-load (playing, ofc).

My GPU seems to be fine

My typical GPU load while CB is running is around 5%
Back to top Go down
GabeCello
GabeCello

Male Posts : 43

PostSubject: Re: A Tool for ppl who are lagging in Arena   A Tool for ppl who are lagging in Arena EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 9:20 pm

Silvraph wrote:
LXE wrote:
Silvraph wrote:

Both of them.

In that logic I really shouldn't buy the new laptop b/c it's the game architecture at fault, and getting a better laptop may not necessarily improve the performance...
That's what /dev/random and I told you in the first page, but you decided to ignore it for some reason.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Tool for ppl who are lagging in Arena   A Tool for ppl who are lagging in Arena Empty

Back to top Go down

A Tool for ppl who are lagging in Arena
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next