Cosmic Break
Welcome! to the Unofficial Fan Forums Please read the rules as soon as you can. It will only take a few minutes of your time to do so. If you are not willing to read them, you might not be here for long! Enjoy your stay and don't get into trouble.

Click here for Forum Rules

Click here for Cosmic Break Guides

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

FunThing's tips to successful gameplay

Go down 
+23
Dune
Shaftronics
saihamaru
Wolf Hikari
CybermanX
necrio
Chaosskull
MissileGo
yilx
Ropalx
FreedomFighter
j35476
technomo12
Neko
ironpen27
Intet
FrozenEdge
BB
FullThrottle
piroton
Vallyel
Trololol
Z741
27 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

FunThing's tips to successful gameplay Empty
PostSubject: FunThing's tips to successful gameplay   FunThing's tips to successful gameplay EmptyThu Dec 30, 2010 8:02 pm

Hiya, I'm that guy you may or may not have seen in-game with all the strange faced bots. Based on my amusing bots and obviously Yui-esque name, it may appear that I don't take this game seriously. Sometimes I do like to play a bit serious, because doing so is fun from time to time. I'm going to throw a few thoughts into this post that might help you with your CB experience. Your mileage may vary on some of these tips, but even considering them might change the way you play.

Even before you enter the arena, there are things you can do to prepare. You could do either very well or very badly depending on the setup you enter with, so consider a few factors before jumping in with both feet.

-Are you using your best bots?
-Are you leveling bots as your primary objective?
-Are you trying to place well as your primary objective?
-Are you properly prepared for the type of match you're joining?

I don't mean most expensive bots, the bot you are most familiar with would be your best bot. If you're planning on doing well in the rankings, you should have at least your first two commandos set as the bots you are most familiar and/or skilled with. This leaves room in the third slot for a bot that you're either leveling, or perhaps that is your "just for fun" bot. If you're planning on leveling a bot, this could be the best way to quickly gain experience. If your first two bots are maxed out (leveled and awaiting cartridge placement) then the third bot will gain all of the experience of the fight. This is much faster then leveling multiple bots at the same time.

Different matches can mean different goals for you, a shuffle match might not be as serious as a Vs. Ark or Epoch match. If it's just a shuffle match, you might not want to waste your best wonder bits. Shuffle matches are good for taking it easy and maybe getting in some practice. A Vs. Ark match would be considered more competitive depending on who shows up. This is the type of match where you want to bring your best bots and use your good wonder bits. If you're still newer to the game, you might want to avoid these types of matches until you get more practice. Not saying a lower ranked player couldn't do well in theory, but these types are usually populated with big bad players who have been around for a while. You also might get some hate-talk and possibly vote-kicked depending on the seriousness of the room. Epoch can be serious as well, but is usually just ridiculous.

Still having trouble finding out which bot is best for you? Ask a friend or a clan-mate to set up a team match and you can practice in a less competitive environment.

-As a Lnd type, you should best utilize your natural mobility. Land types are flexible, don't think your only option is melee. Your job will be harassment and surprise attacks on vulnerable artillery units. Do not suicide rush, always know where you are in relation to the rest of your team.

-As an Air type, you should work on air superiority as your main goal. The team who controls the air is the team who usually commands more pressure. Fight off other air units while attacking vulnerable units on the ground. Avoid going too far from your team, you don't want to end up an easy kill for the enemy artillery.

-As an Art type, long ranged harassment and area denial are your main objectives. When the Air units on your team are having trouble, you'll usually be the one to turn the tide of the air battle. Keeping an area safe for your team to occupy means fending off the Air and other Arty units attempting to take position nearby. If you're not a mobile arty, you need to know at all times where any Lnd units are.

-As a Sup type, you can pretty much fill any of the roles above. The best support players are the ones who keep themselves and their teammates alive. When you're not fighting the main fight with the rest of the group, you should be looking for items and charging up your repair bit. Always remember to announce that you're repairing to your team BEFORE you actually activate your bit. This will allow your team to get more hp and give you more points. Repair in safe spots that are not directly visible to the enemy.

Practice and experience will help you to better understand how to be successful, so get out there and try different types.

-Do you find yourself scoring badly more often then you would like?
-Do you find that your team is on a losing streak?

One of the most annoying things in Cosmic Break is when you're trying your very best to win, and your team still loses regardless of your effort. Usually the reason a team loses is either less experience players are not properly playing their roles, or experience players are doing something wrong. You can't help it when a newer player is in a match with you, just hope that when he gets kicked for doing badly, he doesn't come back...

You can be a veteran player and still be the cause of defeat for your team. It's hard to admit your own faults, maybe something on this list might make you think about the way you play.

-Your cost is much higher then the rest of your team, despite your score being low.
-You constantly find yourself cut off from your team, and you get ganked.
-Nobody seems to be around you when you get double/triple/entire teamed.
-You run out of ammo constantly, and you debate suicide rather then waiting.

Alright, most of these reasons depend on your teammates, but all of these can be avoided if you're a smart player. If your score is bad or you find yourself doing badly, perhaps you should come back after you get more practice. There are a lot of good players in the competitive rooms, practice in a shuffle or in a team fight before you attempt a competitive fight.

Always feel alone in a match? Always getting teamed on? This is 90% your own fault for failing to do something very important, utilize the tab key. You shouldn't be alone, if you find yourself stranded, calmly check the location of your allies and rejoin them. It's easy to forget the map when you're in the middle of a fight, but the map is what separates the good players from the great players. Don't completely rely on your map to find enemy players, keep in mind that common sense on where attacks could occur can really save you from a lot of damage.

Ammo a problem? This is an interesting problem compared to the other ones, there are a few different things to consider. Are you going into the fight with a single weapon? If so, I hope you know what you're doing. Multiple weapons can help with ammo and help you to fight in different situations. If you DO know what you are doing, read on. If you have a good support player farming trees and such for items, ask him to help you find some ammo. Usually a good support will hold onto spare ammo and drop it when they are healing. Look for these next time you are being healed, remember to ask nicely if you still can't find any yourself. If you find yourself running low, save some ammo and use it to look for more yourself. Back out of the battle and take down some trees, you can get really lucky sometimes and find ammo and/or repairs. Suicide shouldn't be your only option when you're running low on ammo.

Misc. tips and such.

-Frags

This is Cosmic Break, it is not some random MMORPG where "kill-stealing" occurs. A frag just means you get the last hit on another player, it does not mean you get all the credit for the kill. If player A damages someone 95%, and player B gets the frag, player A is still going to get 95% of the points for that kill. (There are a few other factors on how points are awarded, but getting the frag is not going to be very significant if you didn't damage the unit yourself).

Obviously frags lower the BP of your enemies team, so go for the kill whenever possible. But for the love of god, don't yell at somebody for "stealing your kill", people will just laugh at you for being so uptight.

This is important too, DO NOT chase someone with low hp if it means that you are going to end up surrounded by the whole enemy team. Getting a single frag is not worth getting fragged yourself simply because of stupidity. If he's running back to the entire enemy team, let him go. Just find another target and fire away.

-Laggy Jikuns

If you see 10 teammates attempting to shoot a single Jikun, consider this:
will I truly contribute by also shooting at him? Will attempting to do so give me a good score? Will I be wasting ammo? Will attempting to shoot him give other enemies a golden opportunity to attack us because our guard is down? Should I do something productive and attack something else?
NO, NO, YES, YES and of freaking course.

-Your superior rival

If there is someone on the other team that seems to be able to kill you every time you meet him 1 vs 1, don't fight him. Giving him more kills will simply put him in 1st place, and you in last place.

-Your inferior rival

If someone continually attempts to kill you, you may have gotten into his head a little. Keep it up and continue to take him out. Mind games are a strategy that can really net you a lot of points in this game.

-Lone enemy

By simply targeting another player, your whole team can see them on their maps. (Unless they have the cartridge which prevents this) This is a good way to show unsuspecting teammates that someone is attempting to flank them. This goes both ways though, if an enemy targets you, the whole enemy team can see you as well. So if you're fighting an enemy 1 vs 1, expect enemy backup to show up.

-Proper item use

Don't use fire pillar on your teammates, ever.

Use the Repair +100 only when your team's support bot is unavailable to heal or if you're in the middle of a fight. Save it for when you need it.

Hurricane enemies towards your allies, don't hurricane allies towards your enemies.

Save meteor for when the match is near the end.

Drop Wonder Drugs for your support units/near the PS. (Do you really need it? Really? Be honest.)

-Common sense

Think. Use your head. Handle each situation to the best of your ability. Always strive to inflict the most damage while keeping yourself as safe as possible. Manage your items and ammo carefully, don't forget you have allies on your team willing to help you. Don't go it alone, and make proper use of your radar. Make sure you're using the right wonder bit and equipment for the type of match you are in.

And of course, have fun.

*Edit*

Internal Upgrades!

FunThing's tips to successful gameplay InternalUpgrade

Last edited by FunThingsAreFun on Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Z741
Adept Poster
Adept Poster
Z741

Male Posts : 739

PostSubject: Re: FunThing's tips to successful gameplay   FunThing's tips to successful gameplay EmptyThu Dec 30, 2010 8:09 pm

Made of epic win.
Back to top Go down
Trololol
Trololol

Male Posts : 21

PostSubject: <3   FunThing's tips to successful gameplay EmptyThu Dec 30, 2010 8:29 pm

If it wasn't for Funthings' help i would've commited suicide by now! <3
Back to top Go down
Vallyel
Regular Poster
Regular Poster
Vallyel

Male Posts : 324

PostSubject: Re: FunThing's tips to successful gameplay   FunThing's tips to successful gameplay EmptyThu Dec 30, 2010 8:31 pm

realy nice guide to new people , good work buddy

also can i add some thing?

communicate with your team , the team chat isn't there for nothing , if you need ammo or support ask a teammate and help them with items too , if your hp is full you can give that +100 hp item for someone that is low on health

in other words dont try to play alone no matter how good you are you are only 1 man , dont forget that you still have 14 or 29 people by your side that can help you
Back to top Go down
piroton
Regular Poster
Regular Poster
piroton

Male Posts : 316

PostSubject: Re: FunThing's tips to successful gameplay   FunThing's tips to successful gameplay EmptyThu Dec 30, 2010 9:26 pm

FunThingsAreFun wrote:
Still having trouble finding out which bot is best for you? Ask a friend or a clan-mate to set up a team match and you can practice in a less competitive environment.

BIGGEST LIE EVER. My clan-testing ends with me getting bloody serious and going ATTACKATTACKATTACK

FunThingsAreFun wrote:
Always feel alone in a match? Always getting teamed on? This is 90% your own fault for failing to do something very important, utilize the tab key.

FUCKING QUOTED FOR TRUTH.
DO YOUR GODDAMN JOBS, NOOBS.

/rant

Okay, so I have some tips for all you people out there too:

- Always follow the Winberrl. They typically suck all your enemies into range so you can explode on them.
- When playing as an ART type, pack bazookas, not Grenades. I know bazookas have that terrible stat reduction, but with a few Wing+ AMJs, you'll be fine.
- ART types should reasonably FLY. Don't tune for WLK. Tune for FLY. It makes your ART types that much better at escaping sticky situations.
- Flyers: Don't use Particle Guns. Use Beam Rifles or Blasters. Wide Beam Guns are useful too.
- Teammates: DON'T BE SELFISH. Share the items with front-liners, or people who need it. I've seen many a player die just because some selfish bastard of a teammate refused to hand over his Repair Kit +100.
Back to top Go down
FullThrottle
Adept Poster
Adept Poster
FullThrottle

Male Posts : 799

PostSubject: Re: FunThing's tips to successful gameplay   FunThing's tips to successful gameplay EmptyThu Dec 30, 2010 9:55 pm

Quote :
-Common sense

the thing DOS seems to lack the most. x]
Back to top Go down
Z741
Adept Poster
Adept Poster
Z741

PostSubject: Re: FunThing's tips to successful gameplay   FunThing's tips to successful gameplay EmptyThu Dec 30, 2010 10:03 pm

piroton wrote:
- ART types should reasonably FLY. Don't tune for WLK. Tune for FLY. It makes your ART types that much better at escaping sticky situations.
Also quoted for f**king epic truth. I geared my Lily Rain for FLY > WLK and managed to outlast 2 LND types [a Shino Exroad and a Jikun Hu] on aerial manuvering alone. 'Course I WAS left with 9hp afterwards, so....
Back to top Go down
BB
Regular Poster
Regular Poster
BB

Male Posts : 110

PostSubject: Re: FunThing's tips to successful gameplay   FunThing's tips to successful gameplay EmptyThu Dec 30, 2010 10:55 pm

This was really fun to read and spot on
Back to top Go down
FrozenEdge
Ace Poster
Ace Poster
FrozenEdge

Male Posts : 1003

PostSubject: Re: FunThing's tips to successful gameplay   FunThing's tips to successful gameplay EmptyThu Dec 30, 2010 11:42 pm

piroton wrote:
FunThingsAreFun wrote:

BIGGEST LIE EVER. My clan-testing ends with me getting bloody serious and going ATTACKATTACKATTACK
just to be simple try testing you bot to the training area >_>
Back to top Go down
http://dreamself.me/d/ily1
Intet
Adept Poster
Adept Poster

PostSubject: Re: FunThing's tips to successful gameplay   FunThing's tips to successful gameplay EmptyThu Dec 30, 2010 11:49 pm

FLY players:

-If your not sure what to do, stick by your teams ART and SUP bots, defend them from the inevitable Jiku that will show up and begin raping people.
-Don't take ART units on head on, it is suicide, flank them, fly directly over head to break lock/ make it difficult to target, and get out quick.
-Take advantage of your mobility, scout out the battle field, tell people what you find.
-Keep an eye on your boost gauge, land in raised areas to avoid getting melee'ed by some random land.
-Small FLY units are not made for prolonged combat, get your damage in and escape, I've killed plenty of Crimroses who thought they were the Juggernaut.
-Since you can easily reach the front lines, consider farming trees for your team and dropping off items by your teamates at the front, thus keeping them supplied. Medics will love you since they can stay under the PS rather than having to wander off to farm (and risk getting ganked).

ART:

-Position and timing are critical, especially if your a slow unit, use the map to find out were you should be headed, and when you need to make a retreat.
-Stay by your team, when a land comes for you, you'll have an easier time.
-Learn when to burst fire, know your bot's damage output so you know when you'll win, and lose a damage race.
-Take advantage of your range to spot enemy bots for your team members.

LND:

-Don't get too carried away when your wrecking a group of people, keep an eye on your hp and the map.
-Sometimes someone is gonna get away from you, accept it. Chasing a hard to catch target for excessive amounts of time will lead to you getting killed by people you didn't notice.
-Attack from odd angles, going straight for the face means you'll probably trade damage.
-Look before you leap; charging into a mob of enemies, when one of them is a winberrl is a good way to be a free frag for the other team.
-Target priority; kill the support bot first if you can, they will undo the work of your teammates, destroy a deployed repair bit to halt healing, then pick off wounded doves in order of least to most hp.
-Don't be afraid to fall back, you don't have to kill someone right away, getting in a few quick smacks and escaping is better than nearly dieing to get a kill.

SUP:

-If you can heal, let your teammates know you have a repair bit, they will bring you items to ensure your survival.
-Stay alive if your a medic, dead medics don't heal.
-Announce when your about to deploy your repair bit, and while your repairing.
-Stand under the PS while you repair, it speeds up the process.
-Try to repair when a good number of people are around to benefit.
-If your not a medic, take advantage of your general purpose (stat wise) to fill in for gaps in the team. Guard ARTs from LNDs, pester AIRs, and distract/snare targets for your team's units.

Last edited by Intet on Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ironpen27
Regular Poster
Regular Poster
ironpen27

Male Posts : 291

PostSubject: Re: FunThing's tips to successful gameplay   FunThing's tips to successful gameplay EmptyFri Dec 31, 2010 1:13 am

very good tips here.

it really made me realize that my style/skill level is so noob even if i constantly enter the TOP 10....

a real eye opener indeed Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Neko
Neko

Female Posts : 91

PostSubject: Re: FunThing's tips to successful gameplay   FunThing's tips to successful gameplay EmptyFri Dec 31, 2010 2:27 am

Great guide! And you're right about the Jikun thing...
Back to top Go down
technomo12
Regular Poster
Regular Poster
technomo12

PostSubject: Re: FunThing's tips to successful gameplay   FunThing's tips to successful gameplay EmptyFri Dec 31, 2010 5:11 am

yes this is epic really nice

and FOR THE LOVE OF WIZ ARK I LOVE YOUR AVVY
Back to top Go down
j35476
j35476

Male Posts : 54

PostSubject: Re: FunThing's tips to successful gameplay   FunThing's tips to successful gameplay EmptyFri Dec 31, 2010 5:33 am

I must say this is one of the most practical guides out there
but reminds me of a "how to be successful" type of book
Back to top Go down
http://thebarkingcats.tumblr.com
FreedomFighter
Ace Poster
Ace Poster
FreedomFighter

PostSubject: Re: FunThing's tips to successful gameplay   FunThing's tips to successful gameplay EmptyFri Dec 31, 2010 6:06 am

Intet wrote:

SUP:
-Stand under the PS while you repair, it speeds up the process.

one more thing about this.

do not i repeat "DO NOT" heal at PS if your team under attack!!!
this made most of allied low-hp pile up in same area and can be easily kill by another LND assault or Art Barrage.
if PS getting too hot, fallback and heal where it safe.
and if you do healing at PS, everyone should keep their eyes on radar and surrounded area.

another pro tip

"keep your eyes close to your mini-map and Radar, keep pressing TAB key to watch whole situation"

once i chasing LND unit for half mile, it was Jikun with spike bit and he ran toward my pile of Art.
those guy not even looking at their radar or watch their own back and blame me for not stop that Jikun.
Back to top Go down
FullThrottle
Adept Poster
Adept Poster
FullThrottle

Male Posts : 799

PostSubject: Re: FunThing's tips to successful gameplay   FunThing's tips to successful gameplay EmptyFri Dec 31, 2010 1:04 pm

FreedomFighter wrote:
once i chasing LND unit for half mile, it was Jikun with spike bit and he ran toward my pile of Art.
those guy not even looking at their radar or watch their own back and blame me for not stop that Jikun.

Sucks to be you. :O
Back to top Go down
Ropalx

Male Posts : 96

PostSubject: Re: FunThing's tips to successful gameplay   FunThing's tips to successful gameplay EmptyFri Dec 31, 2010 1:26 pm

FunThingsAreFun wrote:

This is important too, DO NOT chase someone with low hp if it means that you are going to end up surrounded by the whole enemy team. Getting a single frag is not worth getting fragged yourself simply because of stupidity. If he's running back to the entire enemy team, let him go. Just find another target and fire away.

Not entirely true, if you see a bot with a cost of 1600 running for the heal, and your bot costs 380, i would as hell suicide against him if the possibility was there. + you can always get lucky and have the other team put you on fire so you can fly at light speed into safety.

EDIT:
FunThingsAreFun wrote:
Hurricane enemies towards your allies, don't hurricane allies towards your enemies.

O MY GOD YES!, its not fun when suddenly all your damaged guys + the support healer get thrown into a pack of arty. Although on the same note, its amusing to get behind enemy lines and push all the weak/healing enemies into your pack :3
Back to top Go down
technomo12
Regular Poster
Regular Poster
technomo12

PostSubject: Re: FunThing's tips to successful gameplay   FunThing's tips to successful gameplay EmptySat Jan 01, 2011 9:52 am

i jsut love CS chan suiciding in a pack or ARTs really dual shield and burning effect then BOOm many if not all damged btos go booms
Back to top Go down
yilx
Regular Poster
Regular Poster
yilx

Male Posts : 254

PostSubject: Re: FunThing's tips to successful gameplay   FunThing's tips to successful gameplay EmptySun Jan 02, 2011 1:28 am

Alright, how about this; every one of your shots always miss even if you're at point blank range and you always get hit no matter how much you move. Sad
Back to top Go down
MissileGo
Regular Poster
Regular Poster
MissileGo

Male Posts : 113

PostSubject: Re: FunThing's tips to successful gameplay   FunThing's tips to successful gameplay EmptySun Jan 02, 2011 5:08 am

Nice Guide very useful for Pros and New players * Thumbs Up*
Back to top Go down
Chaosskull
Regular Poster
Regular Poster
Chaosskull

Male Posts : 123

PostSubject: Re: FunThing's tips to successful gameplay   FunThing's tips to successful gameplay EmptySun Jan 02, 2011 6:33 pm

Thanks for the guide.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: FunThing's tips to successful gameplay   FunThing's tips to successful gameplay EmptyTue Jan 04, 2011 5:06 pm

Thank you all for the positive feedback, and thanks for the sticky!

Smile
Back to top Go down
necrio
Master Poster
Master Poster
necrio

PostSubject: Re: FunThing's tips to successful gameplay   FunThing's tips to successful gameplay EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 1:54 am

Once when I was playing with my buddies, we got blown by an idiot teammate right into the enemy pile of ARTs. Of course, since we were all using jikuns and ivises, the ART pile went boom in a matter of seconds

so, hurricaning your friends towards the enemies could actually work
Back to top Go down
Z741
Adept Poster
Adept Poster
Z741

PostSubject: Re: FunThing's tips to successful gameplay   FunThing's tips to successful gameplay EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 3:05 am

necrio wrote:
If everyone involved in said hurricaning is aware of the plan, that is. Razz
Back to top Go down
FreedomFighter
Ace Poster
Ace Poster
FreedomFighter

PostSubject: Re: FunThing's tips to successful gameplay   FunThing's tips to successful gameplay EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 12:55 am

necrio wrote:
Once when I was playing with my buddies, we got blown by an idiot teammate right into the enemy pile of ARTs. Of course, since we were all using jikuns and ivises, the ART pile went boom in a matter of seconds

that winricane right there!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FunThing's tips to successful gameplay   FunThing's tips to successful gameplay Empty

Back to top Go down

FunThing's tips to successful gameplay
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next