Cosmic Break
Welcome! to the Unofficial Fan Forums Please read the rules as soon as you can. It will only take a few minutes of your time to do so. If you are not willing to read them, you might not be here for long! Enjoy your stay and don't get into trouble.

Click here for Forum Rules

Click here for Cosmic Break Guides

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Dashcon Tumblr Convention: Aftermath

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

The Dashcon Tumblr Convention: Aftermath Empty
PostSubject: The Dashcon Tumblr Convention: Aftermath   The Dashcon Tumblr Convention: Aftermath EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 5:40 am

Okay, I didn't actually attend this event (thank god), but however I heard a ton about it recently. I figured most of you should be informed about it too.

Well to start, last weekend was the Dashcon. This was the first ever Tumblr convention, and by that, I mean an actual convention held outside the internet, at an actual hotel. It was run by Tumblr's community and some of the representatives of it's multiple fanbases. The Tumblr community thought that this would be one of the best moments in the history of Tumblr, but turns out, it was anything but that.

The convention went from bad to worse, with the whole thing all going to hell rather quickly, and it soon became an absolute disaster of a convention. Some of the terrible things that happened at Dashcon are as follows.

- The head organizers asked for $17,000 in donations upon arriving at the convention site, because they never made concrete plans with the hotel it was to be held at, and said that they had to pay if they didn't want to be kicked out.

- There was a dealer's hall that was completely empty save for a few tables, a bouncy castle, and the infamous ball pit, which was basically an inflatable kiddie pool with plastic balls in it.

- The Scheduled performers walked out because the con organizers where unable to pay their appearance fees, thus forcing them to pay out of pocket for their own travel expenses and interrupt their tours.

- They did not refund the con goers who paid for tickets to see the performers, but instead just allowed them entry into a raffle and an extra hour in the ballpit as compensation (total cheapskates).

- Underage children were allowed into panels at the convention that were about totally not family-friendly stuff, such as sex and erotic content.

- Someone pissed in the ball pit during the "Extra Hour" and, what do you know, posted on his own Tumblr about it afterwards.

- Last but not least, the hotel reported that they had never asked the con organizers for any money, so the part where they had to raise $17000 is suspected to be a big get-rich-quick scheme.

Dashcon has been considered to be the most poorly run convention ever. This was mainly due to the utterly incompetent, and inexperienced, moderators of the convention, and multiple debacles throughout the weekend.

Read more about what happened at Dashcon here. --> http://fusion.net/modern_life/story/dashcon-tumblr-convention-ridiculed-poor-planning-862732
I'm sure that by now, there are plenty of other news articles all over the internet about it as well.

What's your thoughts and opinions on this? I think this will go down in Tumblr history as one of their darkest days ever, and they'll have to go through a whole lot to recover from this!
Back to top Go down
reVelske
Grand Poster
Grand Poster
reVelske

Male Posts : 3758

PostSubject: Re: The Dashcon Tumblr Convention: Aftermath   The Dashcon Tumblr Convention: Aftermath EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 5:54 am

It's nothing but a scam, what more is there to talk about it?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Dashcon Tumblr Convention: Aftermath   The Dashcon Tumblr Convention: Aftermath EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 5:57 am

How hilariously terri-bad it was, and about the various stuff that happened in it "like the piss in the ball pit incident," for example.

To me, it was like the organized convention equivalent of the "Atari E.T. video game." (yes, that Terri-bad).
Back to top Go down
Valkyrie
Molcars Wearing Sunglasses
Molcars Wearing Sunglasses

Male Posts : 2457

PostSubject: Re: The Dashcon Tumblr Convention: Aftermath   The Dashcon Tumblr Convention: Aftermath EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 7:23 am

At first I was like "it's Tumblr". Then I thought about how bad this really was. I think this might prevent internet communities from trying to hold such conventions.
Back to top Go down
That_Wiesel_Guy
Legendary Poster
Legendary Poster
That_Wiesel_Guy

Male Posts : 4551

PostSubject: Re: The Dashcon Tumblr Convention: Aftermath   The Dashcon Tumblr Convention: Aftermath EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 8:47 am

>tumblr
Back to top Go down
reVelske
Grand Poster
Grand Poster
reVelske

Male Posts : 3758

PostSubject: Re: The Dashcon Tumblr Convention: Aftermath   The Dashcon Tumblr Convention: Aftermath EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 8:51 am

It's a decent blogging platform, if nothing else. Nobody said you have to be part of the "community".

Just like LiveJournal of yesteryears.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Dashcon Tumblr Convention: Aftermath   The Dashcon Tumblr Convention: Aftermath Empty

Back to top Go down

The Dashcon Tumblr Convention: Aftermath
Page 1 of 1